Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #1

Share |

How much would it cost (range) to install a vent on my roof for bathroom fans?

I have a bathroom fan that must be vented through my roof. I have the bathroom fan installed already but I need to get a vent installed in my roof and connect it to the existing fan. Does anyone know how much someone has charged them and if you hired a roofer, contractor, handyman to do the job? Thanks for all the information.

jmcphers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
Coconut Pete's paella!

Based on the information provided, somewhere between $25 and $15,000.

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Oh, come on..... I don't think it would cost a dollar over $13,700. Based on the information given, of course.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #4

Not sure why the huge range or what other information is needed? Could you possibly tell me how much it cost you guys to purchase the materials to install a vent. Maybe that would help narrow the vague price range? Thanks
Old 02-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
Coconut Pete's paella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcphers View Post
Not sure why the huge range or what other information is needed?Thanks
You can't really estimate cost based on "Hey, I need a vent in my bathroom"

Even just trying to estimate materials is impossible based on the one sentence you provided.

If you live in a 1 story house in Montana it could be easy and cheap, but if you live in a 3-story brownstone in Manhattan and your bathroom is on the 1st floor it would be a huge pain and very expensive.

Of course you could always tell the contractor "But some guy on the internet said it should only cost $XYZ" - contractors love that.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #6

OK, I thought I said in my first post that I already have a bathroom fan. I wasnt clear on the floor. I have a single family 2 story home. The bathroom is located on the second floor. The bathroom fan is vented into the attic (right above). The roof is not that far from the bathroom fan. Its about 6-7ft. The bathroom fan was just installed in that bathroom. I didnt think materials would vary in costs depending on your location. Based on your experience would the installation be different from home to home on a single family home where the bathroom fan is located on the second floor and would need to be vented through the roof? If so, can you give me some guidelines on materials I would need to do the job and how to do such a job? Thanks
Old 02-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcphers View Post
OK, I thought I said in my first post that I already have a bathroom fan. I wasnt clear on the floor. I have a single family 2 story home. The bathroom is located on the second floor. The bathroom fan is vented into the attic (right above). The roof is not that far from the bathroom fan. Its about 6-7ft. The bathroom fan was just installed in that bathroom. I didnt think materials would vary in costs depending on your location. Based on your experience would the installation be different from home to home on a single family home where the bathroom fan is located on the second floor and would need to be vented through the roof? If so, can you give me some guidelines on materials I would need to do the job and how to do such a job? Thanks
Just to get you up to speed here, there are all sorts of variables that will alter costs.

The simple fact that you said you have a 2-story home ups the cost by 15 to 30%.

You have not given an indication of the type of roof covering you have.

We do not know the pitch (angle) of your roof.

Can workmen get to your roof in that area? Are there trees, or fences, or another building that might cause problems?

How accessible is the interior area above your bathroom? Can a man get there from the attic... or does all the work have to be done either through a hole in the roof and/or a hole in the bathroom ceiling?

Is the fan now installed of sufficient power (CFPM airflow) to efficiently exhaust a vertical column of air as far as is needed?

How much insulation, and of what type, is going to be displaced and perhaps need replacing?

Is there anything in the way in the attic... such as duct work or any structural elements? This would possibly require rerouting the fan vent ducting... and maybe necessitate the installation of another type fan, altogether.

Sometimes, a second fan is necessary up at the roof connection.

Then there is permitting and code inspections to think about. All different in different areas of the country.

It's winter right now, and that is going to also affect the cost.

And, I'm sure others here can add to this short list of considerations. That's why it is always best to get yourself several quotes from LOCAL contractors.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #8

Thanks Willie T. Your response was really helpful in understanding what is considered when getting a quote. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #9

My labor times for this job show 1.5 to 4.2 hours but this was for the fan, venting, roof/gable cap and wiring.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:37 AM   #10

Can you avoid going through the roof and go out the gable?

bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, vent