Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #1

Share |

How much should I pay?

I know I know a DIY forum asking what's the most I should pay. I've decided to do the basement bathroom myself. I also decided to kick my roommate out of that room and move in myself once it's done. (so in a year =P). I'm sorry I don't have the blueprints I drew up in front of me. I am looking toge to plumber to rough in the bathroom. The emergency cut off is in the unoccupied adjoined house next door.. so I rather be careful! (also the plumbing books are a bit overwhelming.)

Anyways I want to install a shower, a sink, a toilet. The new room would be 100 inches by 117 inches. I have located a sewage line, about 1inch from a corner wall. about 27 inches south, 25 inches west there is a pipe sticking a good bit out of the ground. I think (sorry off the top of my head. I'll confirm later..) it's diameter was 5 inches. There is a smaller one about 10 inches away that was about 3 inches. Followed by a hidden one in the far north west corner that is just the right spacing ( 12 by something, inches away from wall) for a toilet. It is surrounded by cardboard for some reason. Though it seems a bit too small. Toilet's should have a rough in about 6 inches right?

Yeah I know you can't really do anything with what I just said. Tell me what I need to provide you. What I need to know is how much I should pay a contractor to at least rough in the toilet, shower and sink. I "can" convince my dad to do it.. but I wont get it done for a year!

L4nce0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
DIY staff

How much should I pay?

Post a picture----It sounds like the drain rough is already in the floor---But the sizes you mentioned make little sense,

Toilet stub is usually a 3 or 4 inch pipe--spaced 12 inches from the finished wall.

Shower drain is usually 2 inch--often(but not always) 18 inches from the framing---

There should be a 2 inch vent/sink line--which will be within the wall.

Please post that picture----and your location--codes and costs vary a lot by area.----Mike---

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
DUDE! (08-09-2010)
Old 08-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #3

How much should I pay?

I know I got the water lines, the washer has them. Yes I'll post photos later tonight.
The Following User Says Thank You to L4nce0 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-10-2010)
Old 08-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #4

How much should I pay?

Old 08-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
DIY staff

How much should I pay?

All the drains are there---Toilet and vent---sink--the T by the dryer vent--and the shower(2" with the vent right behind)

Pricing varies so much from state to state and Provence to Provence that your only hope of getting a price ,will be to call two or three local plumbers.

If you post your location a local plumber on here might PM you with a guestimate.--Mike--
Old 08-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #6

How much should I pay?

Yeah I'm over in Fort Collins Colorado

So the guy came over... He wants to put in a toilet, and the shawer base... though I didn't realise it, at the time, how is he going to do any of that when there are no walls? I mean he wants to do those two Wednesday.. I haven't even finished my layout!
Old 08-12-2010, 05:15 AM   #7
DIY staff

How much should I pay?

I agree---you do need walls to put the water lines into--Some times it is easier too install the shower pan before the walls go up--

Put your location into your profile---It helps to know that --plumbing codes vary--Colorado is not as bad as Illinois.

Get your layout figured and snap the layout with a chalk line.

Check local code on wall construction---some areas in Co. have soil conditions that require special wall construction---
The clay soil swells and contracts--lifting the slab during wet seasons--

I've never encountered that one ,myself---another reason for putting your location into the profile.--Mike---
Old 08-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #8

How much should I pay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I agree---you do need walls to put the water lines into--Some times it is easier too install the shower pan before the walls go up--

Put your location into your profile---It helps to know that --plumbing codes vary--Colorado is not as bad as Illinois.

Get your layout figured and snap the layout with a chalk line.

Check local code on wall construction---some areas in Co. have soil conditions that require special wall construction---
The clay soil swells and contracts--lifting the slab during wet seasons--

I've never encountered that one ,myself---another reason for putting your location into the profile.--Mike---
The guys off craigslist kept trying to turn it into contract jobs ( I asked for 1 or 2 days of framing, they reply with a 7 GRAND quote), government wants 2k! for the honor of working in my own basement. Seriously they said my basement was worth 30k more then what I paid for the whole house. I also cannot legally work on my own house ( electrical and plumbing) as I am in joined housing. I can understand that, but seriously. So if I do do it, (in the unlikelihood I'll find a contractor to remodel a whole basement for under 15k, materials included) I'll hire a contractor. I have one in mind, my dads used him many times over the years.

I'm sick of people trying to take advantage of me because I'm making a basement. By the 7k for "labor" guy, thats 32.5 days of work based off his hourly and day rates. Sorry very frustrated. Was expecting 150 dollar permit, not a 500 dollar permit and a 1200 permit tax. (sure, I don't have to pay 150 of the sales tax in building materials, whoo)

My inner DIY has been beaten and broken =( If I'm going to pay 2k for a permit, I'm going to get inspected and have to redo a lot of work if I do the work. I want to sell the house in 2 years so if I have the work done, I'll need the permit... Original budget 5-6k, now I'm looking at 15k.. sigh....

Last edited by L4nce0; 08-19-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
DIY staff

How much should I pay?

Boy,Sorry to hear that. You budget was low even if you were able to do all the work your self.---

Next house,look into the ability to do the work yourself. I live in the county--not a town or village. Easier codes,
Every jurisdiction adds another layer of government restrictions.

I built this house myself,23 years ago--no major hassles.

Good luck, By the way,that price for framing ,labor only seem high---Working with one good helper,
I usually can finish framing walls and soffits in 3 days.(1400--1600 square foot)

Good luck,---Mike--
Old 08-20-2010, 12:22 AM   #10

How much should I pay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Boy,Sorry to hear that. You budget was low even if you were able to do all the work your self.---

Next house,look into the ability to do the work yourself. I live in the county--not a town or village. Easier codes,
Every jurisdiction adds another layer of government restrictions.

I built this house myself,23 years ago--no major hassles.

Good luck, By the way,that price for framing ,labor only seem high---Working with one good helper,
I usually can finish framing walls and soffits in 3 days.(1400--1600 square foot)

Good luck,---Mike--
15 k to put up 2 walls, toilet, shower, one door.. is pretty high... I'm not even talking about floors, paint or finish... My quote from the over priced jackals (800 for paint.. they were overpriced) including paint and trim was around 15k. So why wouldn't I be able to do it myself for that much if I cut out a contractor fee, labor fee for framing (4000), 800 paint, all flooring and their twice homedepo price bathroom fixtures? I think I'm jush going to hire the guy who does my dads work and just bite the debt bullet. I'll make it all back in 2 years when I sell and get some privacy from my roommates.

Last edited by L4nce0; 08-20-2010 at 12:26 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to L4nce0 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-20-2010)
Old 08-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #11
DIY staff

How much should I pay?

Often,hiring the individual tradesmen needed for the different jobs can save you money---
But only if you get lucky and find hard working skilled workers.

Your dads friend sounds like a good source for honest,decent workers.

When you go that route --you assume all risks--cost over runs--hidden flaws in earlier work--

So you deserve the savings that you earn, A contractor must have a certain amount of money in the
bid to cover unexpected expenses--Labor wasted due to delays--overhead and PROFIT--

This is a very competitive business -- I realize that the price you were quoted was much higher than you expected,However,
I doubt that the man was truelly unreasonable.

I do wish you luck,and good fortune--GC'ing a project like that can be rewarding---

Please come back at the end of the project and let us know how it turned out,
and if you still feel that the contractors price was that far off---Mike---