Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Share |

How much roughly would it cost to install a roof vent?

I am debating on going DIY or contracting this out, I just want to install a roof vent for a bathroom fan. I'm just chicken when it comes to roofing as one small wrong move could cost tons of money in damages. I would do the ducting myself. Anyone know roughly how much someone would charge for something like that? 100 bucks, 500 bucks? I'm guessing more around 100 bucks. Probably like a 20 minute job for a pro, but by the time he drives to my house, gets his ladder up, and tools out, maybe 1 hour total?

Need to get ahold of someone but it's hard given I work all day and most places close at 5 but I just want to get a ball park figure. It would be going on a shingled roof.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #2

for you i would do it for 150,but consider the fact that most roofers workmans comp ins is about 45% you can see it doesn't go to far

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #3

As "they" say, call three roofers, and they'll come out when you are home, probably right when you sit down to eat,, only kidding, and let them spell it out for you. Be sure not to fall into that trap of telling them how easy it will be. If it was that easy, we'd all be doing it ourselves, sometimes is best to let the pros handle it. If you don't feel comfortable doing the vent, pay the man and get'er done. What ever they charge is still cheaper then falling off the roof.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #4

What slope roof ?
The greater the slope the easier DIY
Until it becomes a really steep slope
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

It's average I guess, 30 degrees maybe? Not very steep. Not really afraid of falling or heights so that part is not a big deal to me. I'm mostly scared I mess up and it leaks. a $30 job (if I do it myself) could turn into $10,000 of damage. So yeah, think I rather just pay 100-200 bucks and get it done. If I remember I'll call someone tomorrow for pricing. It's been raining so probably not a good time but I can at least schedule it.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #6

Asphalt shingled or wood shingled....... big difference there.

Adjust for recession and year, pp. 380: http://books.google.com/books?id=rIk...xhaust&f=false

Gary
Old 09-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

Asphalt. Managed to get someone at lunch to come check it out, he happened to be doing a job nearby. Told me I should not vent through the roof as condensation can build up in the pipe. Cold air wants to go down, hot air goes up. when I fire up the fan the hot air will condensate inside. He said he makes lot of money off people who do this and then wonder why there's leaking water. Guess in the south it's ok (that's what the instructions of the fan say to do) but here in the north where one day can be -45 and the next day can be +20 there is simply too much of a condensation hazard.

So I'm glad I got a pro opinion. He told me what I need to do is vent in the soffit, and to do that I may need to cut a hole in the roof. He showed me how to properly remove the shingles so I do not damage them, and pretty much walked me through. Next time it's not too hot, and no chance of rain, I'll go at it. I might be able to fish the pipe without needing to cut the hole, so I'll see. Kinda hoping so. but yeah, has to be in the soffit.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #8

Either way you are blowing warm moist air out a cold pipe. The key is insulating. There are other tricks brought out in the "search" section, last winter. The air going out the soffit will be coming back in the soffit, depending on the attic venting system you have. Hard to get a self-closing door there to stop the incoming cold outside air filling the pipe, dropping its temperature. Code used to allow vents terminating in the attic- mold, ice dams, frost, wet insulation, etc, yours will be close........ 3' from any openings... search it.
A few hints: http://homes.winnipegfreepress.com/i...article&id=702

Gary