Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

How much to pay a friend for paint job

A good friend of ours is going through financial hardship... used to be a pro-painter in Michigan... so I asked him if he could paint our bathroom as a side job. Its all of 6'x9', nothing exciting just one coat on the ceiling and two on the walls; he had it done in a matter of hours including dry time between coats and did a great job. What is a reasonable painter's rate for that? He gave me the friend discount (only wants $50) but I can afford to pay him and I don't want to short him.

moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

It is really dangerous to start quoting prices or suggesting to people what is fair. And the going rate where you are may be quite different than where I am.

I cannot afford to take the lid off a can of paint for $50 and make any money by the time I factor in insurance, travel time to the job, shopping for materials, etc.

Yours is a deal between friends though. I hope it works out. I would at least double it if you will not insult him. Or ask around clandestinely to see what others have paid and slip him that I guess.

By the way, could you click on your username and update at least basic location information so we know where you are in responding to your posts?

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Well, if I were to do that here in Maine, I'd ask $150 for labor, a good day rate in this region. Since the job will tie you up, it's fair to get paid for the whole day. Sounds like he got movin' and shakin' if it took him just a few hours
GibsonGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

My friend is also a painter and I always struggle with the decision what to pay him too. I always end up paying him in cash and for a little more than what the friend rate is. He seems to appreciate it.

Of course, the very first time he helped me he said that he didnt want any money. I told him if he werent a professional running a business and he were just a friend helping me out, then I might take him up on that and just pay him in beer.
toeey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

$20 per clock hour sounds fair enough.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

When I do work for friends I usually do so for food and drinks (non-alcohol). I have had some friends insist that I take some money. In those situations I try to only accept what it cost me in gas to get there and home. If you agreed on $50.00 then that is what is fair. If you want to do more than that invite him and his significant other out for dinner.

My take on it is I wouldn't have offered or said yes if I wasn't willing or didn't want to do it. I believe in the you scratch my back I'll scratch yours philosophy. It's nice to know that if you need help one day that someone you helped will be willing to return the favor.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
Tired, Cold, and Damp

There is no such thing as a "going rate"
If there was, nearly all new paint contracting businesses would be successful
(they are not...and in fact are well within the first year 70% failure of other businesses)
Each and every business, even in the same type of service, has it's own costs (overhead), and it's own retail price

I'd have to assume that with the "friend price", any/all mishaps would be on your dime

What I mean is:
If any over-spray ends up on your Mercedes, it's your dime
If any idiot day laborer falls off a ladder, it's your dime
...perhaps for the rest of your life
If any lead is released and kills your family, it's your dime
Etc...
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
There is no such thing as a "going rate"
If there was, nearly all new paint contracting businesses would be successful
(they are not...and in fact are well within the first year 70% failure of other businesses)
Each and every business, even in the same type of service, has it's own costs (overhead), and it's own retail price

I'd have to assume that with the "friend price", any/all mishaps would be on your dime

What I mean is:
If any over-spray ends up on your Mercedes, it's your dime
If any idiot day laborer falls off a ladder, it's your dime
...perhaps for the rest of your life
If any lead is released and kills your family, it's your dime
Etc...
If someone is stupid enough to park their mercedes anywhere near where youre spraying, then Id agree.
toeey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #9
nap
You talking to me?

if you do not think it is enough, just let him know that you really like the job and feel it is worth more.

here is a little game you can play:

ask him how much it would have cost if you went out on the open market and hired it done. It's hard to get out of a question like that without giving you some number.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:31 PM   #10
Finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymgmt View Post
A good friend of ours is going through financial hardship... used to be a pro-painter in Michigan... so I asked him if he could paint our bathroom as a side job. Its all of 6'x9', nothing exciting just one coat on the ceiling and two on the walls; he had it done in a matter of hours including dry time between coats and did a great job. What is a reasonable painter's rate for that? He gave me the friend discount (only wants $50) but I can afford to pay him and I don't want to short him.
I'd charge you double that just for the ceiling.

Not going to suggest what you should pay him - he should've determined that before the work was started.
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:13 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,762

If you feel guilty only giving him 50 bucks.

Slip him some extra. Weather thats 5 bucks, or another 50 bucks, is up to you.

Real friends will not bang you for a lot of money for doing small or large jobs for you when they are down/struggling.
Real friends will take care of their friends when times are tough for them.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:43 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 150

Give him $50 and then take him out for a nice dinner.
ConstantChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:34 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,000

You have a strange way of valuing things...if you value this friend, you wouldn't be here dissecting ten dollar bills like you would a carpet cleaner. If this guy is a pro, pay him pro rates and more if you value keeping your friendship. Besides what did you do while he was helping you out? sitting on a sofa drinking Buds - or earning your daily rate in your own life? You owe him at least that because you didn't want to DIY, and it allowed you to do something else.

Forget about $ per hour. Pay him what it's worth to you to have it done while you fart the National anthem. Pay him for doing you a favour so that you earn your living while he did it, plus more.

I don't think he's a friend you'll keep for long, because with this thinking, you won't let him forget the favour you're doing and you'll be pulling in the tab soon enough.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:01 AM   #14
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,366

Friend's can be awkward to work for. I need to earn a living---I must charge a fair wage for my hours and overhead for my work--friend or not.

Make a call to a painting contractor in your area,tell them about your situation,ask what they would charge--Give that much to your friend.

Tell him this if he squirms--" I want to keep our friendship separate from work--If you don't take the money,I'll have to hire a different painter in the future. I like your work and I can't have you working for nothing in my house-It makes me uncomfortable."
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:12 AM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,762

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post

Make a call to a painting contractor in your area,tell them about your situation,ask what they would charge--Give that much to your friend.
Most won't give you the time of day after you tell them that your not going to use them. And just want to know what to pay someone else.

Others will just give you a real high price.

Mr. Painting contractor. My friend is out of work and needs money. I want to pay him to paint my bathroom. What would you charge me. So I know how much to pay him.

PS: Thanks for taking time from your schedule to tell me. I know you are busy estimating jobs to keep your employee's working. And I just told you I won't use you. Just take your time a way from your business. And give more reason to layoff one of your guys.

Don't insult contractors like that.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote