How Many Here Workout.???? - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Chatroom Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2016, 03:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4,613

How many here workout.????

I'm getting ready to get back into shape.

How about you, any thoughts.?

Advertisement

ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 538

Last week I started cutting back on carbs and my mom gave me her treadmill Sunday, so I started using that.

Advertisement

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gma2rjc For This Useful Post:
ron45 (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 05:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

At least 3 times per week more if I can get there .
jimn01 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimn01 For This Useful Post:
ron45 (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 08:44 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 4,980

Ayuh,..... I work out 'bout everyday,....

Not at a gym,.. not on a work-out machine,...

In the Summer, it's on the end of a shovel, or pushin' a wheelbarrow,...
This time of year, it's liftin' dead weights,....
200lb to 400lb wood rounds, gettin' em onto the wood splitter,....

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
ron45 (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 09:06 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 610

Bondo, lifting weights with a loader doesn't count.

Yes, I have a chin-up bar set at 6' to allow me to do knee bends without folding and I use a step when I want deeper bends. Many other modified exercise methods so this old body can improve slowly and it has been great. I was going up stairs on all 4's with bad knees and now can almost run up and down, 68.

It takes years to get out of shape so we need to be patient correcting that, but it is never too late to improve.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud9051 For This Useful Post:
ron45 (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 10:13 AM   #6

Does anyone follow a certain guideline.?

Keep a journal or keep track of what your doing, eating etc..?

I am trying to get my printer/scanner up and going to post.

I will post back when I can get it ready and have more time.

Here's a pretty good site showing lots of animated exercises.

http://www.thetrainingstationinc.com...html#shoulders
Old 02-09-2016, 10:23 AM   #7
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 340

For several years I walked three miles a day and worked out. Then I hurt my hip and can no longer do it. I sure miss it.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #8

Rusty
I know how you feel
You can purchase some equipment that will allow you to workout and not involve your hip. If you decide to go this way it's best to look at craiglist, yard sales etc..

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...39163935632884
Old 02-12-2016, 05:25 PM   #9

I was also wanting to know how you keep yourself motivated.?

Do you have a room in your house or do you go to the gym.?
Old 02-12-2016, 07:02 PM   #10

Quote:
I also wanted to know how you keep yourself motivated.
My motivation is an eye doctor visit Feb. 2nd. She said that I need to lower my blood sugar or I'll eventually lose my eye sight. That got my attention. Today, a lady from the church I used to go to brought over a plate of frosted cookies. I wanted to eat one but didn't, because of the pictures the eye doctor showed me. I'm taking this very seriously.

It was difficult at first because most 'good' foods have a lot of carbs - most of the foods we're used to eating anyway. Plus, with doing daycare, I have to keep bread, fruits, juice, snacks, etc. in the house for the kids, so there's a lot of temptation. But I went to the store and bought enough low-carb foods so that's not a problem anymore. Trader Joe's sells a really good bread that's only 7 carbs per slice. It keeps a long time in the freezer and you can take out one or two slices at a time.

Quote:
Do you have a room in your house, or do you go to a gym?
We just finished the rest of our basement, so I was able to put the treadmill down there. It's an extra bedroom... knock on wood - unless one of the kids asks to move back home again .

Now, instead of sitting on the couch to watch tv at night, I walk on the treadmill in front of the tv. It's neat how the time goes by faster when there's something interesting to watch. It takes my mind off of what I'm doing.

When spring gets here, there will be plenty of work to do out in the yard, so I'll have a better variety of exercise. In the winter, the snow and ice on the roads make it too risky to walk outside.

Nik333 (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 07:28 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 4,168

With a family history of heart problems, I WAS an avid runner for over 30 years. Now that I've added quite a few pounds, walking, shuffling is my "go to" exercise. I also ride my bicycle in the summer months........4 times a week x 20 miles gives me 80 miles per week. I sure like the bike more than the running/walking.

I admire those of you who can get on the treadmill. I just can't get past the boredom of it even with a tv show to watch.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:59 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 5,470

Instead of calling my bathroom the john I renamed it Jim. Now when the wife says where are you going I say "to the gym".
Bondo (02-12-2016), gma2rjc (02-12-2016), slinger58 (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 09:08 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,756

Walking and bicycling are excellent exercises because they use the biggest muscles in the body; the ones in your legs. Those big muscles make easy work of walking and cycling, but because they're big muscles, they burn a lot of blood sugar and need a lot of oxygen and that improves your cardiovascular health. So, if the idea is to lose weight and get healthier, cycling around your local park every day is a great way to start.

But, muscles won't grow unless you challenge them, and that means doing strenuous exercises. So, if the objective is to "pump you up", forget the walking and biking and start lifting weights (pumping iron). That will make your muscles grow, but it is a slow process. Don't expect dramatic results soon.

In my case, I had my left knee replaced just about a year ago now, and I have arthritis in the other knee. I currently "work out" every second day by doing my physiotherapy exercises. I need to strengthen my operated knee so that it's strong because they can't replace my other knee unless and until I have one strong leg (at least) to support me. You need at least one of your legs to be strong so that you can get up if you fall, and use it to climb steps with. The weaker leg will support you, but you still need a fully strong leg to lift you one step at a time (in the case of stairs) and to lift your weight if you fall and have to get up. I've got an appointment to see my surgeon in April, and at that time he'll decide if my operated leg is strong enough to proceed with the same knee replacement surgery on my other leg. I'm wanting to have that done, so I do 225 knee bends every second day. That's 75 reps each of 3 different kinds of knee bends. I do each kind in three 25 rep sessions. It's hard, but it challenges my muscles so that they grow.

I go to a physiotherapist, and she says that for the most aggressive muscle growth, do strenuous excercises every second day. You need a day between those strenuous excercises for your muscles to rest and grow. Also, this idea of "no pain, no gain" is B.S. Regular strenuous excercise every second day that challenges your muscles will make them grow; you do NOT need to cause any damage to your muscles that causes them to hurt for them to grow in response to the excercises you're doing.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 02-12-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nestor_Kelebay For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 09:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
With a family history of heart problems, I WAS an avid runner for over 30 years. Now that I've added quite a few pounds, walking, shuffling is my "go to" exercise. I also ride my bicycle in the summer months........4 times a week x 20 miles gives me 80 miles per week. I sure like the bike more than the running/walking.

I admire those of you who can get on the treadmill. I just can't get past the boredom of it even with a tv show to watch.
Try reading a good book while you're walking on the treadmill. Although, riding a bike outside might be much better than walking inside.

Gymschu (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 10:28 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,756

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
Try reading a good book while you're walking on the treadmill. Although, riding a bike outside might be much better than walking inside.
Riding a real bicycle outside is much better exercise than riding a stationary bike. Both will exercise your leg muscles, but riding a real bike will work the muscles in your upper body as you continuously move slightly this way and that to maintain balance. Try standing on one foot in front of your kitchen sink while holding on to the counter top. Now, let go of the counter top and you'll see how much more the muscles in the foot that's on the ground have to work to keep your balance.

Advertisement

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 02-12-2016 at 10:34 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is online now   Reply With Quote