Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #1

Share |

HOW TO make better frozen pizza

I know that this isn't a home repair subject, but it's definitely a HOW TO topic, it falls into the DIY category, and it's something to keep the kidz busy while your doing something important.

My first summer job was working in our small town's local pizza joint. It was a small restaurant, but people really loved the pizzas we made.
I was supposed to ask the customers if they wanted a soft rising crust or a thin crispy crust. If the customer wanted a soft rising crust, the ONLY difference was that we'd spread olive oil on the bottom of the pizza dough before making the pizza and baking it. That oil prevented the moisture in the dough from evaporating while the pizza baked, resulting in a softer moister crust. Without the oil, the pizza dough would dry out while being baked, resulting in a harder crust.

A few days ago I bought a Kraft Delissio frozen pizza that advertised that it had a "rising crust", but when I opened the box, there was a cardboard platter under the pizza that would have absorbed any oil they woulda put on the bottom of the crust. Also, for a soft crust they said to bake the pizza at 425 instead of 400 deg. F for 2 minutes longer on a baking sheet instead of the bare oven rack. "This is stupid" I thought. I knew a guy who made pizza's good enough that people would drive 25 miles all the way from Winnipeg to eat his pizzas, and the difference is in oiling the bottom of the crust, not the baking conditions. And, it's stupid to put cardboard on the bottom of the dough so that any oil they did put on would be absorbed into the cardboard. And, we baked all our pizzas in a pizza oven at the same temperature, and the oiled ones had a soft crust and the un-oiled ones had a hard crispy crust.

I concluded Kraft didn't know what they were talking about and oiled the bottom of my pizza pie before putting it on a cookie sheet for baking.

So, if you buy frozen pizzas, and you want to have a softer crust on them, just oil the bottom of the pizza dough before baking it. And, do that as soon as you take it out of the freezer so that the topping stays frozen to the dough. If you thaw it out and then oil the bottom, when you try to turn the pizza right side up again the toppings won't necessarily stick to the pizza.

PS:
Buying some sliced pepperoni, sliced olives, sliced mushrooms, grated mozzarella cheeze and slicing up some tomatoes and green peppers to add to the little bit of topping Kraft provides with the pizza helps an awful lot, too. Applying all the sliced up stuff to the pizza is best left to kidz cuz they always overdo things, and that results in better pizzas.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 02-05-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
Newbie Bill

Well Nestor, you have provided great info on the soft crust. We will try that on our next frozen pizza. And we have always been in the habit of adding our own toppings to the frozen pizza.

But I am a little disappointed that you didn't teach us how to cook the pizza with a blow torch. You know I am just kidding.

drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

I have given up on frozen pizzas.

We now use the "take and bake" type that are made when you pick them up or shortly before (up to 6 hours refrigerated is O.K.). They cost more than frozen, but less than already baked.

There are two big bonuses:

1. You can wait a few hours before you bake them (10-15 minutes at 425 degrees in the oven) and they are hot whenever you want them.

2. You can add whatever strange things you want on whatever part of the pizza you want. - Also much cheaper, because we use extra parmesan and some bleu or gorganzola cheese.

They have 3 different crusts and some varieties have olive oil on the bottom because the baking pan (not cardboard) does not absorb the oil. WE bake for about 8 minutes, take it off the baking surface and brown or crisp the bottom if we want it crisp. If we argue, we cut it in half and cook the two sides differently.

The concept is drive the traditional pizza stores crazy.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 02-05-2009 at 03:43 PM.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtbk4ever View Post
But I am a little disappointed that you didn't teach us how to cook the pizza with a blow torch.
Now THAT would be a good "how to" topic.

Next time I'm in Supervalue, I'm gonna see if ANY company that makes frozen pizza (like McCain or President's Choice) says anything about oiling the bottom of the dough.

I can understand why oiling the dough results in a softer crust, but I can't understand why baking the pizza at a HIGHER temperature for LONGER results in a softer crust. That's just plain bass ackwards if you ask me.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 02-05-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #5

Dick: I haven't come across that yet. So, you phone up a pizza parlour and tell them what kind of pizza you want, they make it up for you and you bake it at home?

Pretty soon they'll have "delivery" on that kind of pizza too.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 02-05-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:21 PM   #6

Nestor, do you know how Pizza Hut makes their thick crust crispy? That use to be the best crust (IMO) but now we have a Jet's pizza and theirs is like P.H. but crispier (and maybe a little greasier) and better.

I made a couple pizzas a few weeks ago and my son-in-law said they're the best he's ever had (then he asked to borrow $20. just kidding) I used the following ingredients:

-Pillsbury Pizza Crust (cheated, I usually use loaves of frozen bread dough)
-various toppings -
-white corn meal to sprinkle on the pan before rolling out the crust
-Prego SPAGHETTI sauce - chunky garden - sounds odd, but it's good. Tried the other brands of spaghetti sauce but they get watery or they just don't taste good. I haven't found a 'pizza' sauce in the stores that I like yet. If someone has a good recipe......

baked on a clay baking stone, and only 1 pizza in the oven at a time. But the ones I've baked on metal baking sheets didn't taste a lot different, so it probably doesn't matter.

Nestor, how do you add tomatoes without making the top of the pizza watery? Do you think it would work if you make your own pizza's from scratch and freeze them?

Sam's Club sells the unbaked pizza's for about $8 (last time I looked) for a 16" or 18", but the crust isn't anything to write home about and the meat toppings are way too salty.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #7

I moved this topic to "off topic" from the "how to" section.

The how-to section is for DIY how-to's, and we're limiting that to DIY topics related to home repair and remodeling.

(although I rarely do construction or repairs for someone unless someone's buying me pizza)
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #8

Gma2rjc:

No, I don't know how Pizza Hut makes their thick crust. I worked in a pizza restaurant for minimum wage when I was a kid, but that hardly makes me an expert. I remember oiling pizza bottoms to keep the dough soft and moist as the pizza baked and that only made sense to me. So, when I had a frozen pizza a few days ago, I was surprised that the baking instructions didn't say anything about oiling the bottom of the dough.

I just thought I'd post that tidbit about oiling the dough so that people wanting to make better pizzas could. I think that's an important thing for people to know, cuz it does make a big difference, but I don't want to give the impression that I know much more than that about making pizzas.

Sorry.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #9

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Nestor -

you call ahead and it is ready when you get there. Also just stop in and walk out with your ready to bake pizza in 2 or 3 minutes, since no baking is necessary. If I am in a hurry, I call my wife when I leave and she preheats the oven. Otherwise, I just cook it when I get hungry.

Around here, it has forced the local stores/delis/Walmarts to have them also, but they are lower quality and you cannot "fine tune" them. Of course, you can always add anything you want, wherever you want before baking for 10-12 minutes.

I have not ordered a baked pizza for a few years, but occasionally get ambitious and do my own and make a big mess, but I only can look in the mirror to complain.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #10
Learning by Doing

The BEST frozen pizza I've ever eaten was a deep fried Totinos.

No kidding.

Totinos is little more than sauce on cardboard; but drop that puppy into a turkey fryer and the result is MAGIC!
Old 02-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #11

Nestor, what a guy, you fix everything,keep a clean building, you write well and you make real pizza!. If there is a Mrs. K she should be a happy woman. My hat is off to you.
There was a take and bake chain in the 'Peg called Pizzane's 18 years ago. It was great, just don't know if they're still around. Ahead of their time...

I would check out the deli shops around Corydon or Safeway in the Osborne Village for a Marinelli's crust and sauce kit. Use 2/3 recommended sauce .Then add all your fave's
Was that pizza joint you worked in local or out of town.
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #12

Oop's it's Molinaro's. Whole wheat or regular or thin.....great sauce, they store on the shelf fresh for 30 plus days just add toppings 2 x 16" for $4.29
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist1961 View Post
Nestor, what a guy, you fix everything,keep a clean building, you write well and you make real pizza!.
No, I don't make real pizza. I just worked for two months in a pizza parlour when I was in between grade 10 and grade 11, and I remember that the difference between a "thick and soft" crust pizza and a "thin and hard" crust pizza was brushing olive oil onto the bottom of the pizza dough.

I brought up that point because I believed it was an important one since it seemed to work well, and now people are thinking that I'm a pizza expert. I'm not. I'm just a guy who worked at a pizza joint for minimum wage. No more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist1961 View Post
Was that pizza joint you worked in local or out of town.
It was a place called Bravo Pizza in Selkirk, Manitoba, which is about 25 miles north of Winnipeg.

I grew up in Selkirk, went to university in Winnipeg, spent 8 years in the oil business in Alberta and then moved back to Winnipeg to take over ownership and management of my small apartment block.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 02-07-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #14

We gave up on the frozen pizza thing. If you really want to keep the kids busy let them make them from scratch. They would have a ton of fun and by the sounds of it you know what to do. The frozen pizzas are far too pricy for me and then add toppings to that, get out. I would spend a fortune! We have a wonderful garden with tomatoes, veggies and this year im giving herbs a shot. Last year my husband built an out door kitchen/bar when sitting at the bar stools it looks over the garden. Beautiful this time of the year. Our project this year is going to be adding an outdoor pizza oven http://www.superprod.com/category/co...pizza-ovens.do to the kitchen area we built. Anyone ever put one of these things in? My father in law is an electrision so that part should be a breeze but anything to watch for would be a big help. Oh the parties we can have this year with fresh garden goods on home made pizzas! YUM!!

angdeer is offline   Reply With Quote