Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

how long you warranty foundation work? old house

I have a question, I know this couple who are fliping homes, now it closing time and they found a problem with foundation. the sellers found the problem it shifted 1/2 inch they called a engineer and he sujested i use a poly on cracks and add a couiple beams in crawl space. Now the sellers disclosed and told the buyers and told them they will fix it and Im doing what the engineer suggested and now the new buyers want ten year warranty. Every house in that area has crack all of them you can see it out on bricks front and back. I was doing the work till she asked if i would warranty for ten years. I said hell no I look around you . what is or should be proper warranty? for what we are doing? Please anyone?

Last edited by tna4play; 05-19-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: spelling
tna4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tna4play View Post
I have a question, I know this couple who are fliping homes, now it closing time and they found a problem with foundation. the sellers found the problem it shifted 1/2 inch they called a engineer and he sujested i use a poly on cracks and add a couiple beams in crawl space. Now the sellers disclosed and told the buyers and told them they will fix it and Im doing what the engineer suggested and now the new buyers want ten year warranty. Every house in that area has crack all of them you can see it out on bricks front and back. I was doing the work till she asked if i would warranty for ten years. I said hell no I look around you . what is or should be proper warranty? for what we are doing? Please anyone?
Not following at all. Are you the seller selling to the house-flipping couple? I don't know what is customary but I wouldn't offer a warranty on the work either, at least not as a homeowner. They can either accept the repair as is or negotiate a lower price and fix it themselves as far as I would be concerned in that situation.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

Most every foundation repair contractor around here offers a 5-10 year warranty ON THEIR WORK for repairs as these. It merely means that their installed wall resraints will not fail to do the job that they were intended. The warranty doesn't cover any other area of the foundation.

I guess it gives the new homeowner's peace of mind to know that they have a warranty. I can't really blame them either. This whole warranty issue should have been discussed before they hired you I guess. Maybe you need to talk ot a lawyer to have them write you a very simple warranty to cover this job?
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
Civil Engineer

If I follow your post, you are a commercial contractor performing foundation repair work for a client who wants a warranty. And you apparently don't want to warranty your work.

Why are you asking a DIY site for opinions on whether you should warranty your work? You should be talking to commercial contractors, maybe an attorney, anyone but a DIY group.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foundation, old house, old house renovation