Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #1

Share |

How to find good window installer in remote rural area

We want to replace old, single pane, fogged up windows and doors with good quality, double or triple paned wood-frame windows and french doors such as those made by Marvin, Andersen, Pella etc. We want to find a good contractor to install and help us decide which brand is the best one to go with in our situation. We live outside of Red Rock, Texas, a tiny town about 20 miles away from Bastrop and 30 miles from Austin, TX. Beyond looking at the business cards on the bulletin board at the local general store, any ideas of how to find a good contractor experienced in this line of work, who's willing to work on a small job in a remote location? We'll probably need to get an equity loan to do this, so we want to be careful to do it right. Thanks for any ideas and advice on how to proceed!

ThorpeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:55 PM   #2

I would ask who ever you buy the windows from, if you buy them locally. They usually have installers that they use. If you buy them from Lowes then have them install them, kill two birds one stone theory.

william duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:49 AM   #3

Check with relatives, friends, neighbors, co-workers for referrals. Also check local lumberyards, window suppliers. But I would avoid big box for installers. And avoid Pella.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:03 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Definitely avoid box store installers and cheap window installer places! If you are redoing all the windows you will find a decent contractor to come 30 miles from Austin if you can be flexible with scheduling and so forth. It seems a small job but assuming no major problems it would be a nice one that could be completed fairly quickly. Someone good will squeeze you in.

And try something like Angie's List for Austin to see about contractors? Word of mouth is probably your best bet. Keep an eye open for someone already working in your area? Stop and chat.

Last edited by user1007; 03-08-2010 at 06:05 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice, sdsester, just bill and william duffer. Have seen lots of recs against Pella, both the product and customer service. Which mfgrs of wood windows do you recommend?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:24 AM   #6
DIY staff

I've been an Anderson fan for years--I'm a remodeler and never had a complaint about them.
I put them into my oun house 22 years ago.

I also use Marvin--But only when Anderson does not make a size or color that is needed.

I get frequent calls about trouble with Pella--I won't touch them.--

30 miles is not usually a big travel time for a contractor. ---Mike---
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #7

There's an Andersen showroom in Austin and we're going to go there tomorrow. We thought we would ask them if they have a list of installers they recommend. The area where we want to put the large fixed window with double hung windows on each side is going to need the existing 3 smaller windows plus a door removed. Then the wall built up to close in the resulting empty space, and the correct size opening created for the new window. Does this sound like a job for a window installer or a remodeling contractor?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 03-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #8
DIY staff

Talk to the window supplier--they may have the crew--or know who to use for the re-framing and drywall work.

a remodeling contractor would also be able to do the work that you need.

Always check the references.---On the rare occasion that someone asks me for a reference I will give them the names of an ongoing job or a job that I haven't even started!
I'm confident enough to have them check up on work as it is happening--no "picking my refferals from happy customers"

Best of luck,sounds like you are on the right track--Mike--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #9

My son is a contractor based in Bastrop who does very fine work. If you send me a private message or otherwise give me contact info, I will have him call you.

zircon is offline   Reply With Quote