How Do I Get The Front Off Of My GE Washing Machine? - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2005, 05:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How do i get the front off of my GE washing machine?

hi i was wondering if any one knew how to get the front off of a washing machine i didnt see were i could open and i need to check my pump to see if something is in it. If you have any info on that it would be helpful thanks
iona

Advertisement

iona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

HI iona

Getting the front of is just a very small part of checking the pump for debris. Odds are if it locked a pump for debris or any other reason it would throw a pump belt. Sometimes they don't drain as well because of a timer malfunction or other reasons. If you are already having problems removing the front I would recommend calling for a service tech. But in case you really want to look. Most washers use two spring style clips on the top front of the panel. The top of the washer hinges at the back when released and then the lower part of the front panel is generally held in place by two metal screws.

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2005, 12:35 AM   #3

thanks so much i was told to look by my service guy he would come out to the house but i cant find my extended warranty and he will charge me a dollar for each mile and then parts and labor would be more than the washer its self so he did tell me to look at the pump he was being nice to tell me that anyways i would have asked how to get the front off but the next call he would have charge for so i thought i would check this site out first thanks so much for the reply
Old 08-09-2005, 02:50 AM   #4

He most likely was trying to find out if the belt had broke. If so the next step is to see if the pulley turns (on a GE I am not recalling were this is located, I am thinking on the left side when looking at front of the unit) May be the fourm has a repair tech that recalled for sure. I have on some units I have found bad idler pulleys that were the cause of the problem and that may be a visual thing you could see. Yes, if the pump froze it would be much labor but if it were a idler or similar it should not exceed the value of a unit though. Let us know what you do or find.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:17 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

You say you have a extended warranty on this washer? If this is the case I would be careful what you do to this washer it might void your warranty. Also not sure where you bought your washer from but I would think your warranty is on a computer with them and they should know that you have an extended warranty on it. I would give them a call and try to have them look it up. You might have to throw a little bit of a fit but they should be able to find it. They would like to see a paper stating that you have a warranty, but in real they know you have it and can look it up!! Let us know how this turnes out!!
daman3178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:21 PM   #6

ya i called them a few times and they say they are archiving it its been two weeks i have called a lot they know me when i call now and they havent told me anything and i did throw fit but not to bad yet because i do want the info but the service repair guy told me to just check the pump like it was easy for me like anyone can do it i did get the front off though i have decided to ask a family friend to do it i am to scared to mess anything up and if its not the problem it will be cheaper to buy a new one my one year warranty was up july 7 2005 my washer broke two weeks after that so my advice to anyone to make sure you staple all the paper work together and store it on the side of the machine that i what i am going to do from now on thanks for the help
iona
Old 08-09-2005, 06:24 PM   #7

i got the machine from Home Depot i love the store i have had really great customer service from them till i got to this problem
Old 08-09-2005, 10:33 PM   #8

iona

Just curious what is the washer doing or not doing? I am assuming from the tech saying check "the pump" it's not draining but I am interested what your initial complaint is?
Old 08-10-2005, 12:53 AM   #9

well what its not doing is spinning out it still makes the noise like it suppost to be spinning out but it doesnt so it skips that step and goes to the next cycle and starts all over it doesnt stop it keeps going through all the cycles so when i called he said it could be something in the pump blocking it and to drain it so i put the hose down and it drained all out with ease in minutes so he said something could be blocking that or the pump like a nail or a ball of lint or something so that is my next step but i did go right to the source today and call GE myself and they will call me back before noon tomarrow for the warranty info and i still might be able to buy the extended warranty on the machine by the date of pick up and when i installed it because that was diffrent from when i paid for it it was a week or so later so i still might be in luck. who know so far i am just thankful for the advice
Old 08-10-2005, 05:17 AM   #10

iona

Yea it sound like he did a pretty good phone diagnosis. I hope GE or home depot does come threw for you. It is a shame when any equipment fails just out of the basic warranty time. Hopefully the time line works out for you. Good Advise you gave on the paper work! I personally use three File boxes. One for large house appliances. Washer, dryer, furnace, water hearer, this is the one I put the paper work for battery chargers and stereos equip and stuff in. I have one for the kitchen. so many papers for all the stuff. And last but least Computers and hardware. I try and keep any regerstation, receipt, owners manuals, warranty info (I usually copy the cards with info filled in before I send in the stub. All that stuff. Although I still loose stuff. I sometimes put it back in the wrong box or I leave it out and it get buried on a desk to be found at a later date. Anyway I have found it to work pretty good even way after the warranty has way expired and I need parts for something (or if it was going to be serviced) I can usually find all the info. Parts lists if I had them model serial number customer service numbers all together. I am personally looking for Cell phone rebates I lost (they had me wait a year before I could send them in!) two $75. rebates and now I know it about time and I can't find all my info (just what they counted on). I should have stamped them to a calendar on the month to send it!
Old 08-10-2005, 03:54 PM   #11

it works i am so glad my family friend got over this morning to fix it and it was just that i washed a down alterantive comforter and i did notice the rip but i didnt think that much had came out of it but that was enough to clog it up and it was two screws it took five minutes to fix i was so happy its the small things that will make you happy i guess so the service guy was right i called him and thanked him right away before i put it off and didnt do it (that is typical of me that is why i loose paper work) GE called and said i can get a extended warrenty but it its going to cost a little more 75 dollars for a year but its so worth it for me that is cheaper than the milage to get the service guy out here i dont live in the country either just a small town with out a good repair man but ya i have the boxes for paper work but its like you said it doesnt get put back and the winds up lost or ruined or missing forever but i love the calander idea that is a good one thanks
iona

Advertisement