Honey Bee Crisis - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Honey Bee Crisis


Found a great film on the honey bee crisis. Scientists and beekeepers still have no real clue as to what is happening to them. I did not realize we steal their honey early and fill hives with corn syrup. It is killing us so I guess we should not be surprised it might not be doing the bees any good.

Anyhow, it is a big deal as they pollinate billions of dollars worth of fruit, nut and vege crops in the US alone. And I guess we have resorted to importing bees from the Ausies. You know they all have to be descended from British criminals too!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/397072

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
RWolff (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Honey Bee Crisis


As the crisis continues one solution is to create a honey bee sperm bank. European honey bees are stronger but because of mites were banned from US import. Artificial insemination could enable queens here to reproduce the stronger species.

I think this article stresses again how important honey bees are to what we eat and how dramatically the hives continue to collapse. According to this article 1 in 3 colonies collapsed over this past winter. 1 out of 3 bites of the foods we eat come from honey bee pollination. Rather scary?

http://www.sciencerecorder.com/news/...colony-crisis/

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,334
Rewards Points: 3,306
Default

Honey Bee Crisis


Let's not jump on the 'imported insect' band wagon---
we have imported a few already and that did not work well--

Stronger African bees

Bigger stronger lady bugs

Memory fails me--but there have been other attempt at importing insects that backfired---
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
RWolff (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
Architectural Sculptor
 
RWolff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA, Midwest
Posts: 765
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Honey Bee Crisis


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Let's not jump on the 'imported insect' band wagon---
Yep, ladybugs brought in to kill another pest and they became a pest themselves, plus they BITE.

Africanized bees that attack and kill people and animals- another human manipulation gone awry.

That's the problem, we manipulate and "control" wildlife without a clue what we are doing or how the whole system actually works. It's led to things like failed bounty programs that kill off a population of animals in a large area only to see those in adjacent areas reproduce twice as fast and move into the vacant region. Then we feed and "protect" deer during part of the year and removed their natural predators and they reproduce so fast they overrun many places.

Its been said the bee die off is from the genetically modified foods, or even pesticides or herbicides, probably a combination of all three take your pick. The way it's going now a few mega corps will have PATENTS on seeds and the food grown by the majority of farmers as they will switch over to the new seeds for various reasons, so these corps will have the main control on the nation's food supply. There's already crops that grow which don't produce seeds- they were modified that way and patented, this is so the company can for farmers to buy seeds every year, is it any wonder bees are dying from this manipulated garbage found "safe" by the USDA govt shills and big industry "tests" they paid for?

Last edited by RWolff; 06-09-2013 at 11:59 AM.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RWolff For This Useful Post:
mj12 (06-12-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 7,142
Rewards Points: 3,304
Default

Honey Bee Crisis


Ladybugs are poisonous too.

Don't ask me how I know.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,334
Rewards Points: 3,306
Default

Honey Bee Crisis


Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Ladybugs are poisonous too.

Don't ask me how I know.
I was cutting outside last year----the son of a gun sure do bite---
I never was tempted to eat one or bite back
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Architectural Sculptor
 
RWolff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA, Midwest
Posts: 765
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Honey Bee Crisis


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I was cutting outside last year----the son of a gun sure do bite---
I never was tempted to eat one or bite back
I've mentioned ladybug bites to a friend and she said "ladybugs BITE?? since when?"
Since we imported a nasty strain of them and they got way out of hand, they come in the house thru the tiniest cracks, under the door, siding gaps, and many people are allergic to them- if they are crushed or disturbed they give off a substance that can cause an allergic reaction in some people.

Some also say they have a very unpleasant smell when crushed and the liquids also stain.

Here's the story on these, the bees are more of less the same kind of backstory:

Quote:
Asian lady bugs, with the scientific name Harmonia axyridis, were released as a pest-control measure against aphids in many areas of the United States until 1990. These insects began to swarm inside houses in the late fall to protect themselves from freezing weather in the wintertime.

Since then, large populations of Asian ladybugs can be found infesting houses in Wisconsin, Kentucky, Missouri, West Virginia, and along the East Coast to as far south as Georgia. Typically, rural and suburban homes are more commonly affected than homes in urban settings.

There have been numerous reports and studies on Asian ladybugs causing allergic symptoms in people, including: Asian ladybugs release an orange-colored fluid as a defensive measure, which has a foul odor. Proteins from this fluid, along with dropping and other body parts, likely become airborne, causing allergic symptoms in susceptible people.



In certain areas of the country, such as West Virginia, positive allergy tests to Asian ladybugs in people seeking care from an allergist are as high as 21%.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
Member
 
funfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Albuquerque NM
Posts: 706
Rewards Points: 508
Default

Honey Bee Crisis


Not sure where I fit in here. I have a small yarden with veggies and native plants, drip irrigation and is my hobby to get me outside and have fun.
In another forum we have talked about honey bee's a lot and aware of the problem.
I find it hard to believe that 1 out of 3 colony were destroyed last year, in 3 years the honey bee will be extinct.

I do know it is bad though and do not mind exaggeration if that is what it takes to get noticed.
It is a serious problem. I am totally happy with round up to kill weeds.

If it is the possibility that insecticides like this is killing the honey bee population, we need to fix this.

I want to say I raise a garden, I have tomatoes, lettuce, cabbage, peas, onions and carrots, many herbs.
Same time, I seem to have something that whiptail lizards like.
They hide under the cabbage leafs for shade and shelter, I built them a little water trough to drink from without leaving the shade.
Before I made the trough, they licked the water off of the leaves of my plants.
If I use some insecticide to kill insects and the plant leafs are wet, the whiptails will drink it thinking it is water. Same with a honey bee coming by to pollinate my crop for me.

I am not some die hard animal activist, I think the lizards are cute and they run around like watch dogs eating insects and I do not want to harm them, the honey bees have their own place in my garden.
__________________
If it was easy, we would not call it work!
funfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Eighty Four, Pa.15330
Posts: 1,414
Rewards Points: 826
Default

Honey Bee Crisis


Sometimes I can get another 2 hours on an office building relamp by cleaning bugs from fixtures.
bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Western suburbs, Chicago, Il.
Posts: 2,693
Rewards Points: 2,064
Default

Honey Bee Crisis


They don't really know what's causing the problems with honey bees.
Could be - pesticides, mites/parasites, climate change, air-born pollutants,
increased C02 - ????
Hope somebody figures it out!
If they don't -
watch what happens to food prices!!!
Ouch!
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Honey Bee Crisis


Quote:
Originally Posted by RWolff View Post
I've mentioned ladybug bites to a friend and she said "ladybugs BITE?? since when?"
Since we imported a nasty strain of them and they got way out of hand, they come in the house thru the tiniest cracks, under the door, siding gaps, and many people are allergic to them- if they are crushed or disturbed they give off a substance that can cause an allergic reaction in some people.

Some also say they have a very unpleasant smell when crushed and the liquids also stain.

Here's the story on these, the bees are more of less the same kind of backstory:
I've noticed that these ladybugs do swarm inside in a huge number, but they are not aggressive and they tend to stick to the windows making elimination via vacuum very easy.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Honey Bee Crisis


Quote:
Originally Posted by funfool View Post
Not sure where I fit in here. I have a small yarden with veggies and native plants, drip irrigation and is my hobby to get me outside and have fun.
In another forum we have talked about honey bee's a lot and aware of the problem.
I find it hard to believe that 1 out of 3 colony were destroyed last year, in 3 years the honey bee will be extinct.

I do know it is bad though and do not mind exaggeration if that is what it takes to get noticed.
It is a serious problem. I am totally happy with round up to kill weeds.

If it is the possibility that insecticides like this is killing the honey bee population, we need to fix this.

I want to say I raise a garden, I have tomatoes, lettuce, cabbage, peas, onions and carrots, many herbs.
Same time, I seem to have something that whiptail lizards like.
They hide under the cabbage leafs for shade and shelter, I built them a little water trough to drink from without leaving the shade.
Before I made the trough, they licked the water off of the leaves of my plants.
If I use some insecticide to kill insects and the plant leafs are wet, the whiptails will drink it thinking it is water. Same with a honey bee coming by to pollinate my crop for me.

I am not some die hard animal activist, I think the lizards are cute and they run around like watch dogs eating insects and I do not want to harm them, the honey bees have their own place in my garden.
Personally In my gardens I never use insecticide. Although totally impractical for the cash crop farmer. And I've learned which crops seem to be a little more resistant to attacks

Things like horn worms that attack tomatoes and Colorado beetles that attack potatoes can all be picked off by hand. Catch the eggs early by wiping off the underside of leaves.

Other bugs can be controlled with a little dishsoap and water in a spray bottle. But they need to be hit directly so diligence is required.

I've heard marigolds naturally repel invasions, plus they look nice

Or get a lizard or chicken like funfool suggests. But I wonder how farmers managed in years gone by without industrial strength pesticides
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
Mold!! Let's kill it!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,849
Rewards Points: 2,012
Default

Honey Bee Crisis


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Let's not jump on the 'imported insect' band wagon---
we have imported a few already and that did not work well--

Stronger African bees

Bigger stronger lady bugs

Memory fails me--but there have been other attempt at importing insects that backfired---
Funny you should say that.
American Honey bees are not native to America. They were imported in the 1600s.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maintenance 6 For This Useful Post:
Oso954 (06-10-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Honey Bee Crisis


As long as we are talking about things being imported and getting out of control, what about those crazy Asian Carps.

They are a huge threat to the Great lakes ecosystem. Take a look at this video, If you can stand listening to dufus for most of the way through, you will be rewarded...(no sooner said then done

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #15
Architectural Sculptor
 
RWolff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA, Midwest
Posts: 765
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Honey Bee Crisis


Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
I've noticed that these ladybugs do swarm inside in a huge number, but they are not aggressive and they tend to stick to the windows making elimination via vacuum very easy.

That's one thing a lady I know warned me against- vacuuming them if you have any allergy to them, for doing so will put the allergin particles into the air big time, she knows because she is allergic to the orange fluid they give off when frightened, or crushed.

What a STUPID stunt importing these damn things was!

Advertisement

RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honey bees and bumble bees porters palace Pest Control 8 05-21-2012 09:59 AM
BTW honey, we're going to have a home appraisal in the next 48 hours Leah Frances Off Topic 12 04-30-2011 08:00 PM
By the way, honey, I need a 30 Amp circuit... Leah Frances Electrical 6 02-27-2011 11:02 PM
how do I get rid of honey bees Jim Fury Pest Control 2 11-18-2010 12:51 PM
Honey, I'm going to re-caulk the shower... homebound Remodeling 1 02-10-2009 10:11 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts