Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,336

Homeowner not guilty to aiding and abetting amphibious action.

A neighbor called police complaining Debbie Alsip was jamming out to loud music, but it turned out to be the neighborhood frogs who were getting down.

Twice this month a neighbor has called Baraboo police to complain about loud music coming from the backyard of Debbie and Jeff Alsip’s Rivercrest Drive home. The responding officer found the culprits weren’t the Alsips, but frogs sounding mating calls at full throat. Among amorous amphibians, the Alsips’ koi pond is Baraboo’s answer to Studio 54.

A neighbor whose back yard abuts the Alsips’ claimed the couple was pumping in music for ambience, and the noise was interrupting his sleep.

Pichler reported he could hear the noise from his parked squad, but soon learned the mood music wasn’t of the Alsips’ making. He explained the situation to their neighbor, who felt the Alsips should shoo the frogs along.

Debbie Alsip has lived at the home since 1981. In 1994 she added the 8-foot-by-8-foot pond, which typically is home only to 11 koi — domesticated Japanese carp — and a goldfish. But each spring, female frogs come to find Mr. Right and lay their eggs.

Alsip pleads not guilty to aiding and abetting amphibious action.

“I don’t know how I’m encouraging them,” she said about the neighbor’s complaints. “If he thinks I’m going to catch them and take them out, he’s crazy.”

http://www.wiscnews.com/baraboonewsr...9bb2963f4.html

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Renovating My Land Yacht

Rewards Points: 552

LMAO....I bet the frogs we have in our back yard could give hers a run for their money. They are CRAZY loud down here. I was on the back porch last night watching a movie with headphones on and had to go inside they were so bad.

Robyn

forcedreno2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,464

I would be inclined to think that it's maybe a wonderful noise....

How do you get upset with the sounds of nature? Oh, wait, if your a 47 percenter....I guess it's pretty easy.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (05-12-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Renovating My Land Yacht

Agreed on the noise of nature....would rather that any day than some of the bass booming stuff people pipe our of their cars and houses. Or, god forbid my neighbors Christmas music 24/7. I'm confused on how the complainers mistook it for music....there is some bad music out there but frogs are pretty distinctive.

On of our dogs likes chasing the frogs. Don't know what she would ever do should she catch one but its hilarious when they are performing the nightly concert and she goes out and routs in the bushes...goes from 150 decibels to dead quiet in almost an instant.

One toad though that I am glad you don't have over here is the cane toad. They get as big as basketballs back home and are poisonous to boot.

Robyn
Old 05-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,430

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I would be inclined to think that it's maybe a wonderful noise....

How do you get upset with the sounds of nature? Oh, wait, if your a 47 percenter....I guess it's pretty easy.....
You've never lived around an Army of Frogs before then. They will wake you up in the middle of the night (even with the TV left on). Maybe cute for a night or two (a camping trip) but for a couple months a year, every year, it can get quite annoying.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (05-12-2013), jbfan (05-12-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
Renovating My Land Yacht

Here is a reference pic....you want loud...try about 20 of these.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
You've never lived around an Army of Frogs before then. They will wake you up in the middle of the night (even with the TV left on). Maybe cute for a night or two (a camping trip) but for a couple months a year, every year, it can get quite annoying.
Oh contrare, I have. My sister lives in the boonies of FL. Frog gigging with spot lights was a common activity

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 05-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,336

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Oh contrare, I have. My sister lives in the boonies of FL. Frog gigging with spot lights was a common activity
So is sipping shine and shooting snakes & Nutria.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
So is sipping shine and shooting snakes & Nutria.
Are you kidding....it's bible country.....almost no alcohol......up until the late 60's granny and graddad's place did not have indoor plumbing...2 seater outhouse out back...you took a bath in the big tub in the kitchen...

People only killed things they were going to eat.

Yea, it can be noisy....so is Heckle and Jeckle when they are parked on the tree right outside your window...

But it's still a beautiful sound....

Everyone should live in the country at some point in their life and live without some of the 'accepted' comforts that we now enjoy....changes your view on life....

Old 05-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ribbit. Ribbit. Ribbit.

Think I will go catch my weight in garden pests now.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
Floor Installer

Rewards Points: 154

They would not like the owls in my neighbor hood. They start about dark and go for several hours. I sit out in the porch to enjoy it.

sam floor is offline   Reply With Quote