Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2009, 06:11 AM   #1
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Share |

Holiday Philanthropy

I should tell you that I am not much of a Holiday person and I have not bought a Christmas present for anybody in years. I buy and send things I find appropriate for people throughout the year. They tend not to get lost in the frenzy and I am not making mad decisions about how much to spend.

What I do this time of year though is think about all I have, and it has been a tough year or so with some uninsurable healthcare issues, and what I might be able to give to someone who has nothing.

You know folks, just one donated toy might make a real difference in the life of little kid that will not otherwise get one? The charity of your choice could probably use just an extra $5-10 to help keep the lights on.

I was lucky in a past career to be able to travel very well and comfortably. I used to stack up bonus miles faster than I could ever use them. I used to give all my miles on American Airlines to their Miles for Kids Program this time of year. They were used to fly sick little ones around or to fulfill some their dreams through the Make a Wish Foundation and so forth. Made me feel really good.

I worked for Scrooge once and he didn't get why I volunteered time and gave money (as meager as my income would allow). He decided that he would wait until he was really, really, really rich before establishing some sort of philanthropic staff to deal with it all. Meanwhile, even before I met him, I worked for a year or so to help build a museum for the future famous (kids if you use the outdated term) and have forever in my memory the giggles and wiggles when the doors opened to remember. He is rich to the point of sweating money out his pores at this point but has given nothing back yet.

Not going sappy on you, but before you overcharge the credit cards and get to worked up in the consumerism of the Holidays? Why not slip a few schilling off to a 501c3 of your choice? It will be tax deductible if you think of things in that way!

Last edited by user1007; 12-08-2009 at 06:29 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #2

Holiday Philanthropy

Not tax deductible, but I like to send care packages to overseas servicepeople. A lot of them don't get the support from home that we'd all hope they do, and some just appreciate the kind gesture from strangers. Magazines, snacks, razors and other treats and personal care items that they don't have or have a hard time getting in combat zones.

www.anysoldier.com is a great way to find a soldier or a unit that has a desire to receive such packages, and believe me, there are a lot of them. The website simply distributes the soldiers' addresses and allows them to blog entries regarding what their unit is doing, who they are, and what they need/want. You can choose them by service branch, home state, where they're deployed, etc. No cost other than shipping and whatever you send. The USPS large flat rate boxes can ship anywhere in the world to APO addresses for under $13'ish.

You don't always hear back from them, but it feels good and it sure makes them feel good regardless. My sister and her husband have became great friends with her "adopted" soldier and his family, and met for dinner in Kansas City after he got stateside and was on his way back from Fort Riley to wherever he's from.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #3

Holiday Philanthropy

Very nice post sdsester.

And thanks for the link KC.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote