Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
ltd

Share |

Hole shot

alright whats your favorite retro car ? i love them all ,but out of the three ,Mustang .Camaro, Challenger .I'm going no.1 mustang no.2 challenger no3 camaro .

ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
the Musigician

Hole shot

"shoebox" Novas were fun.

DM

Old 08-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Hole shot

this would be mine 1968
Attached Thumbnails
Hole shot-rightfront3.jpg  
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Hole shot

My testosterone car was a Firebird with an insanely large engine. Only problem is it still had carbs and when you climbed in altitude it barely moved until you tweaked air/fuel. It was loads of fun during the California gas crisis and with the lines.

I was so ashamed of the first car given me. It was a lime green Chevvy Bel-Aire with fins. Wish I had saved it somehow.

My 1964 VW bug was beyond special for lots of reasons. It got stolen and no doubt converted into a a dune buggy. You could tune the thing for $20 in parts and 30 minutes of your time.

I then entered a small British sports car phase and renovated and sold quite a few Triumphs and MGs. For some reason, maybe because Maxwell Smart drove one and Agent 99 (Barbara Felden) was a hotty? I turned to Sunbeam Alpines. They have increased nicely in value and again I should have kept the thing if only I had a place to store it.

What I really wanted was a Sunbeam Tiger with the too, too powerful Cobra engine. Most of those in California ended up over the sides of cliffs. The cars were fast but to front heavy with that engine and overpowered. Just could not hold the road.

Had a second or third model year Accura Integra I liked. Then moved to NYC and it made no sense to keep it. I had a Volvo turbo I was restoring in Cincinnati but a freak accident involving a water pipe totalled the suspension.

Now I rent cars when I need one. I lied about buying the new Ferrari four passenger all wheel drive vehicle for $295K. And, out of the business, I got rid of my truck and just drive those belonging to others for them gophering now and then.

A boss had a Lamborghini he let me drive once. Every time it was out of the garage it got stolen for a joy ride and he needed me to take it in to have locks changed or something.

Now if you want to talk about sailboats...
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
ltd

Hole shot

sunbeam tiger yea that was a cool car.yea agent 99 she was cool too
Old 09-01-2012, 04:42 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Hole shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
My testosterone car was a Firebird with an insanely large engine. Only problem is it still had carbs and when you climbed in altitude it barely moved until you tweaked air/fuel. It was loads of fun during the California gas crisis and with the lines.

I was so ashamed of the first car given me. It was a lime green Chevvy Bel-Aire with fins. Wish I had saved it somehow.

My 1964 VW bug was beyond special for lots of reasons. It got stolen and no doubt converted into a a dune buggy. You could tune the thing for $20 in parts and 30 minutes of your time.

I then entered a small British sports car phase and renovated and sold quite a few Triumphs and MGs. For some reason, maybe because Maxwell Smart drove one and Agent 99 (Barbara Felden) was a hotty? I turned to Sunbeam Alpines. They have increased nicely in value and again I should have kept the thing if only I had a place to store it.

What I really wanted was a Sunbeam Tiger with the too, too powerful Cobra engine. Most of those in California ended up over the sides of cliffs. The cars were fast but to front heavy with that engine and overpowered. Just could not hold the road.

Had a second or third model year Accura Integra I liked. Then moved to NYC and it made no sense to keep it. I had a Volvo turbo I was restoring in Cincinnati but a freak accident involving a water pipe totalled the suspension.

Now I rent cars when I need one. I lied about buying the new Ferrari four passenger all wheel drive vehicle for $295K. And, out of the business, I got rid of my truck and just drive those belonging to others for them gophering now and then.

A boss had a Lamborghini he let me drive once. Every time it was out of the garage it got stolen for a joy ride and he needed me to take it in to have locks changed or something.

Now if you want to talk about sailboats...

I had a midget once, loved that car, the electronics sucked as I recall, as would those of the jag,
Talk about sucking, my first car I bought, $75 ,was an early 60's corvair that had a crooked frame, it did get me around for a couple years, after my little brother restored the engine

Last edited by chrisn; 09-01-2012 at 04:45 AM.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Hole shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post

I had a midget once, loved that car, the electronics sucked as I recall, as would those of the jag,
Talk about sucking, my first car I bought, $75 ,was an early 60's corvair that had a crooked frame, it did get me around for a couple years, after my little brother restored the engine
The reason all British movies show two or three cars in the garage is because only one runs---if lucky---at a time. Electrical and electronics on any I ever touched were terrible and I had to take every one I restored to this crusty old electrical guy that would yell at me for dirtying up his shop with a British thing.

And they had this habit of sticking on two carbs that had to be balanced to each other when one would have worked. And they all ran hot.

Fun little suckers to drive though. I have never actually driven a Jag. A friend bought one from Florida, right after one of the major tropical storms for an unheard of price. "You will be sorry!" and she was. She never did resolve electrical issues and it had clearly been subjected to lots of salt water. My first ever girlfriend has a nice jag in her garage next to hubbies prized vintage TR6. I don't think either run.

Anyhow if I needed a car of my own again, it would have to be something like an Aquada. Even if electrical lasted only a month.

Last edited by user1007; 09-01-2012 at 07:33 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #8

Hole shot

70 1/2 z-28
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
World's Tallest Midget

Hole shot

By "retro car," do you mean an old car, or a new car made to look old?

If the former, than pretty much anything earlier than 1972 has more personality in the tail lights than an entire car built now. Who wouldn't rather have a Jaguar E-Type, a Bugatti Atlantic, or 59 Cadillac Eldorado than a Chevy Cruz, Toyota Yaris, or Volkswagen Passat?

If you mean the latter, the new Fiat 500 is a cool little car. I drove one, and besides having absolutely no power (it was a pre-Abarth model), its a funky little unit. The Mustang and Camaro are kinda getting old on me, and the Challenger, although it looks fantastic, is still a big heavy lug that only goes fast in a straight line. The 2002 Ford Thunderbird and the Chevy SSR were mistakes, the VW Beetle is a chick car, and the Plymouth Prowler was a body in search of a powertrain. An automatic and a V6 from a Dodge Intrepid? Seriously?
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #10
ltd

Hole shot

[quote=Mort;1001055]By "retro car," do you mean an old car, or a new car made to look old?

yea a new car made to look old ,out of the three whats your favorite? mustang, camaro, or challenger
Old 09-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
Jack of all - master none

Hole shot

Even though I come from a GM background, I have to say the current Mustang is the better looking of the three, then Camaro, then Challenger. Sitting in the Camaro makes you feel like you are driving a coffin... and I thought my '86 IROC-Z had blind spots!

From what I've read, this is the last of the Mustang before they abandon the retro look and go back to modern. I say it's about time. It was a neat concept in the beginning, but I think this niche is palyed-out and the sales numbers show it. Last year only 70K Mustangs were sold, compared to 160K when the new model deubted in 2005.

(and for me, my personal choice on a "new take on an old car" would be the Mini Cooper. -S model of course).

EDIT: article on the hints of the next Mustang from autoblog: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/16/n...uturistic-evo/

Last edited by hyunelan2; 09-04-2012 at 12:15 PM.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
World's Tallest Midget

Hole shot

I'd have to go with the Challenger, of the three. The Camaro just doesn't do anything for me, and the Mustang has a solid rear axle. There is precisely one car with a solid rear axle for sale in the U.S., and it is the Mustang. In 2012, this is unforgivable.

And hyunelan2 - I like the looks of that Mustang concept. It looks a lot like the Aston Martin Vantage, which is a good thing.

Mort is offline   Reply With Quote