Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2010, 06:54 PM   #1

Share |

Help estimating cost/needs for major structural repair

deleted.

Last edited by wombosi; 09-05-2010 at 08:04 PM.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

This site is geared towards DIY work, not primarily towards estimating. I take it you are a contractor, or perhaps you are a would be contractor? Estimating this type of work generally requires a careful, bottoms up plan of work whereby you develop a schedule of tasks, the number of workers required for each task, and the number of hours of crew work required per task. You then develop the cost per task by multiplying the per hour crew rate by the number of hours required.

On a complicated, one off job such as this, you need experience, a well developed plan, and help from a professional estimator and scheduler. Anyone on this site who is out there enough to offer an opinion as to what tasks might be required, and how long they might take, should almost certainly be ignored. Myself included.

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #3

thanks daniel. i more or less thought the same thing. just hoping for some sort of support, but i realize it's impossible to ask opinions on this sort of thing without being able to show what's going on.

i have a few years experience in residential construction, porches, decks, bathrooms, etc... but have never tackled a major structural repair like this one.

i'm almost thinking it would be cheaper and easier to completely throw away what's there and rebuild two floors with a simple gable roof from a new foundation. very tempting.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
This site is geared towards DIY work, not primarily towards estimating. I take it you are a contractor, or perhaps you are a would be contractor?

His profile says "personal trainer", so I will assume he is not a contractor.

I an going to suggest a contractor who has experience in this specialized niche, along with an engineer who also has experience in this specialized nich. Lots of experience.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
His profile says "personal trainer", so I will assume he is not a contractor.

I an going to suggest a contractor who has experience in this specialized niche, along with an engineer who also has experience in this specialized nich. Lots of experience.
i was a personal trainer in '08 or so when i became a member of this site. since then i've become a carpenter.
anyway, i would like to delete this thread but can't seem to find the option.

thanks.