Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Health care costs.

Maybe the title should've been .....how can the future generations afford it. My wife's recent stay at the hospital for four days came to 15 thousand, and five thousand for laboratory work, and 1800 hundred for four visits from a doctor that was on staff. A total of $21,800.00. There was no operation, just a little passing of blood, that turned out to be a little rectal bleeding, that was not threatening. She did have pneumonia that they cleared up. The hospital staff was first class, and thank God for medicare and a backup insurance policy. But somebody had to pay real dollars for this care, and that bothers me. We can barely come up with the four hundred a month extra coverage. I have come to this conclusion, that the upper rich wants a first class health system , but wants the middle class to pay for it. Education is expensive, but how long does it take to be a master carpenter, an electrican, an auto mechanic, and so on. have we become a nation of legal extortion, in the courts, or where ever.

bernieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 514

Health care costs.

Do away with the inordinate amount of gov intervention in the medical system and stop the high cost of medical malpractice and it would be much more affordable.

Sorry about the wife..

framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 514

Health care costs.

The problem is you can't let the medical "industry" be truly free market. If you did, hospitals would be allowed to turn people away. As far as I know, when you show up at the E.R. with a major wound (or in an ambulance), they start taking care of you and figure out your financial situation later.

So, those few people who were helped and had no insurance coverage and no money is a loss to the hospital. They have to build that negative value into the cost of everything else to keep the hospital running in the black. Now an asprin costs $25. They give an asprin to the next person whom cannot pay, and that's even more cost they have to redistribute to everyone. It's an exponentially increasing problem.

There really are only 2 solutions:
1. Allow hospitals to turn the poor away
2. Provide health coverage to those that do not have it, so the next-guy in line at the hospital doesn't have to eat it.
hyunelan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

Health care costs.

The entire problem lies in the billing, not the actual practice of medicine.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Health care costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by framer52 View Post
Do away with the inordinate amount of gov intervention in the medical system and stop the high cost of medical malpractice and it would be much more affordable.

Sorry about the wife..

The reason that it cost so much to go to the hospital, is all the non insured that are treated with out any cost to them.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,124

Health care costs.

Medicare copay is expected to rise from the $96 in 2011 to $247 in 2014. This is attributed to the Obama health care bill.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:55 PM   #7
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,340

Health care costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Medicare copay is expected to rise from the $96 in 2011 to $247 in 2014. This is attributed to the Obama health care bill.
Man if it does my wife and I are in trouble big time.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:40 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Health care costs.

I worked/work in the same job for 27 years, (it is classified so don’t ask)
I was supposed to receive a pension tax free along with full medical, optical and dental.
I never paid into Social security so I am not entitled, also never paid into Medicare so I am not eligible.
Here is the kicker now my pension will be subject to Fed, State and local tax. I will have to pay my own medical.
I will have to pay $250.00 a quarter for Medicare and still not be eligible for Medicare.
But hey Hospice will be free.

See I am one of those that they say when they refer to entitlement.
Ain’t this Country Great!

Redistribution of wealth.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #9

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,086

Health care costs.

If you have the time and interest, there are some great international resources for top flight high tech medical care in the form of hospital/resort hotels in SE Asia. My doctor left the U.S. after 20 years of practice to go to India and work part time using the same equipment and facilities as he used in the U.S. at the Mayo Clinic.

These facilities usually have a two room suite and are located in desirable locations (usually near the water) and are geared for couple to go through surgery (heart to cosmetic) and recovery afterward. Some insurance plans cover the costs and the travel costs are technically medically deductable if the procedure is required by a local U.S. physician.

Indians (the general public) are well educated/versed in medicine and a friend of mine there saw a drug I was taking and was able to recite the suggested dosage and possible side effects and precautions.

While in India, I asked the guy at the front desk of the Days Inn for the name of a doctor to get me a replacement prescription for blood pressure medicine that I forgot. Somehow, he knew where I was in the hotel and a doctor showed up with equipment in the bar/restaurant in about 30 minutes. He gave me a mini physical there and I was hopping up and down and then he was measuring vitals. He ordered the medication needed from the front desk and 10 minutes later it was delivered and he verified it and sent one prescription (Malaria - Larium?) back for a minor dosage error. The bottom line is that my blood pressure prescription was exactly the same as my U.S. prescription and was about 1/10 the cost and was made in the same Pfizer plant that was located in India. The malaria prescription was $0.10/pill compared to $1.00 or $2.00/ pill in the U.S. From then on, every time I was in India, I got as many refills as possible because it was cheaper than my U.S. insurance coverage. - The first time I had a drink and hamburger with my doctor and the hotel paid the doctor.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,124

Health care costs.

My Medicare copay would actually be $140. a month right now. The amount you pay depends on when you sign up. I can't afford to sign up. My understanding is that when it gets to 2014 and we are required to have insurance, they will take it out of my soc sec whether I sign up or not. And because of penalties for not enrolling earlier my monthly payment will be over $300 a month. $300 is approximately what I have left after bills now. It will leave many people in a tough spot.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
BigJim (02-04-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
A Little Of Everything

Health care costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
My Medicare copay would actually be $140. a month right now. The amount you pay depends on when you sign up. I can't afford to sign up. My understanding is that when it gets to 2014 and we are required to have insurance, they will take it out of my soc sec whether I sign up or not. And because of penalties for not enrolling earlier my monthly payment will be over $300 a month. $300 is approximately what I have left after bills now. It will leave many people in a tough spot.
That's what always happens when government promises to "help" us.
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (02-05-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,000

Health care costs.

So wouldn't a universal health care system similar to that of France and Canada and actually a good deal of the civilized world help you enormously. I can't see the down side
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #13
A Little Of Everything

Health care costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
So wouldn't a universal health care system similar to that of France and Canada and actually a good deal of the civilized world help you enormously. I can't see the down side
The downside is the overall cost. Contrary to what we constantly hear, the cost is not sustainable. Even the Canadian Provinces are struggling to subsidize their health care system. And yours is a country whose population is 35 million, not 350 million.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,000

Health care costs.

Sure our population is smaller but isnt it relative to overall wealth.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #15
A Little Of Everything

Health care costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
Sure our population is smaller but isnt it relative to overall wealth.
No doubt - and please don't think I'm denigrating Canada, because I'm not. Also, isn't Canada's health care system funded on a provincial level, rather than a federal level?

What I've learned, from studying countries who have Universal Health Care, is that they either have fantastic outside sources of income for it, or they're going broke.

Sweden, for instance, pays for their health care by state-owned offshore oil wells. A huge natural resource for a relatively small population.

The UK - as well as several other European countries - seems to be really struggling to maintain their health care program.

The bottom line is that somebody has to pay for health care. We're kidding ourselves to think that it's ever "free."

Last edited by DrHicks; 02-04-2012 at 11:13 AM.