Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Hate it? Love it?

There's a lot I hate about renovation / remodeling work and everything involved. Some things I love. . . I'm sure I'm not the only one with this love-hate relationship thing going on with my home improvement projects.

Hates for me:

The attic. I hate the attic - it's tiny, cramped and all of my work there involves crawling into the tiniest corners to fish around for electrical wires when my arms won't even reach - I've had to get creative.

I loath subfloor and joist work but thankfully I can put a nail in this coffin - two weeks ago we finished repairing the last of the rotted subfloor and new joist feeds. Totaling a square footage of 250 SF across 3 rooms and 18 new joists - took 3 years of slow work.

I love drywall and mud - this is the skin of the walls, doing this job well means things feel comfortable and fresh. I texture all of my walls, too (after properly taping the joints - not *instead of*) and I just have a blast. This tends to take me a long time seeing as how I love it so much - it's the only thing I truly look forward to.

Loving mud makes me want to skip steps and forget things since I'm so anxious to get the drywall up - and so I hate having ot postpone it if something new comes up before hand.

Everything else: setting pvc pipe in the crawlspace, floors, furniture, painting - I'm neutral on . . . it's tolerable, not wonderful - but not dreadful either.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Hate it? Love it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snav View Post
The attic. I hate the attic - it's tiny, cramped and all of my work there involves crawling into the tiniest corners to fish around for electrical wires when my arms won't even reach - I've had to get creative.
I'm with you on hating this one. Been replacing K&T wiring here mostly from the attic for the last couple of weeks.

I don't mind the heat, dirt, and occasional roach, but what I hate most up there is fiberglas insulation that has to be moved around first. I have an unexplainable phobia about fiberglas. In my mind I know the prickly feeling only lasts for a couple of days, but it doesn't make it any better.

NancyNGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
Military Mom of 4

Hate it? Love it?

I have this lovely mountainous landscape of blown in cellulose fiber among other - ah - things. And every time I go for a hunt I discover mouse tunnels - and oceans of mouse poo.

So freaking disgusting - when I come down i have to take a shower no matter what. I just can't tolerate it, it's nasty - that insulation gets everywhere, even under my clothes. . . eeeewie
Old 08-31-2011, 09:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Hate it? Love it?

I can not think of anything I like about remodeling/renovation other than being done.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Code05 For This Useful Post:
Willie T (09-01-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 09:38 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Hate it? Love it?

One tip ladies.

Always rinse off with cold/warm water first with insulation. Hot water to start opens the pores and makes it worse. Been there,done that.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Code05 For This Useful Post:
Leah Frances (08-31-2011), Willie T (09-01-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 02:35 PM   #6

Hate it? Love it?

Hey code05, who you callin' a lady? If you saw me when I come down outta there you wouldn't.

And Snav, I have the blown in stuff too, underneath the fiberglas, along with pieces of old shingles, some with nails still stuck in them.

Oh well, it's a once-in-a-lifetime time job for us (hopefully).
Old 08-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
Military Mom of 4

Hate it? Love it?

You know - another thing I hate is the average man's attitude towards me whenever I roll into the hardware store or mention I do this and that. It's like it's unfathomable that a female does any of this work - and does it well. Hammars and nails are for men only - you know.

Today I bought some windows - the assumption of the clerk was that my husband was in the store somewhere to help me load it into my van and install them when I get home.

Look - if my husband was the one doing the work I wouldn't even be going out to the hardware store to buy the stuff he'd need. Who thinks that way? I don't send my husband off to the store to pick up my blades and tape - he'd get lost in aisle 10.

Every comment, joke or remark that every guy thinks of when they are in an exchange with me is not new, unique, or original - and after hearing "you know how hard it is to find a woman like that" a million times gets pretty OLD. For how different individuals can be - the comments they make are pretty repetitive and routine.

Not everyone is like this, of course - but it's a generic off kilter issue.

I hope my boys don't grow up like that - with my example I hope they'd have an attitude of 'yeah sure - go for it - my Mom remodeled the whole house when I was a kid'
Old 08-31-2011, 08:05 PM   #8

Hate it? Love it?

Yes, Snav, I know what you mean, but by contrast, everyone on this forum has been so very nice. Even when I ask stupid questions. They are stuck with me bugging them I'm afraid, cause I plan on trying lots of new things now that I'm retired.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
Military Mom of 4

Hate it? Love it?

Yes - here at the forum is great. In fact, all over the net responses me to are awesome.

And not all guys are like that - but in all due fairness I've had the same attitude from certain girls at the college, too, when I was talking about my bathroom reno last year - they were repulsed and shocked because I dress up decent to go to classes. One girl who became a close friend first commented that she was surprised I could do "all that stuff, because of your hair you know . . ." (blond hair - blue eyes - LOL)
Old 09-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
Coconut Pete's paella!

Hate it? Love it?

I had a lot of fun:
- Building my deck
- Cutting a hole in my house and putting in a sliding door
- Refinishing the hardwood floors
- Painting the diff. rooms
- Installing my parents old kitchen cabinets in my garage
- fixing the various plumbing problems that arose
- Landscaping

I did not enjoy:
- Removing old/damaged insulation from the side attic and reinsulating
- Digging a trench along side the garage, removing and replacing the rotten siding, putting in a weeper. Probably only because this all of a sudden required attention in the middle of another project.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hate it? Love it?

Ya girls, I get that too. I used to drive a crew cab long box pick up and have even had people comment in parking lots "whats a little girl like you driving such a big truck for" and then proceed to access whether I was capable of parking and steering. I've got lots of stories, but why dwell, lots of guys have great attitude and are very supportive> Anyway despite being new to DIY and realizing the satisfaction that it comes with:

I've loved;
Building a 10x12 shed: building custom fit bookcase
Tearing out a wall that separated living and dining; painting ; lots of different landscaping including interlock patio and widening gravel driveway except:

hated:
hand digging a 200ft. french drain (hauling away displaced soil by wheelbarrow sucked)
ripping out and replacing moldy insulation and framing in a crawlspace
trying to repair damaged hardwood and doing a hack job
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #12
Military Mom of 4

Hate it? Love it?

what's odd - I didn't mind replacing the septic line to my tank when it collapsed. But I think that's because that fixed the back-up problem when I had drain lines connected but not capped in the new bathroom (no fixtures or anything - it was a work in progress) - I had to go under the house and clean that up!

Talk about dis-gus-ting.

So I was thrilled to dig the tank out.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:24 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 270

Hate it? Love it?

I've gotten looks for years running heavy equipment. Also stood up to a guy that was over 6 foot for his remark about women not being smart enough to operate diesels. I stand 5'4" in my boots. He changed his tune quickly enough.

Things I hate about the upkeep of our old house is having to dig holes anywhere around here in the sand rock.

What I enjoyed the most was tearing out that moldy old bathtub shower area and re-doing it. I loved the tiling the wall and the floor.

I love fixing things when I find the time to do it.
logluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:44 AM   #14

Hate it? Love it?

I like to do just about anything the first time. It's fun to try new things, just to see if I can do them.

I generally don't like doing it the second time. That's why I don't like housework.
The Following User Says Thank You to NancyNGA For This Useful Post:
dayid (09-03-2011)
Old 09-03-2011, 02:34 AM   #15
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Hate it? Love it?

I hate the attic too. Hot, cramped, hard on the knees (if ever I build a house, I'm passing a router on all the joists to round them!). I avoid it at all costs. I will never drywall the basement ceiling as I rather install drop ceiling and pass all my wiring in the basement/crawlspace, then the attic. If I decide to install a security system I may be forced to go in the attic though because the cameras/sensors would have to be mounted on the ceiling. I could put them on the wall and fish the wire down but I'd then need to put a hole near the bottom so I can drill down... on the other hand, I rather be patching drywall then going in the attic, so maybe I will do that. :P

Another thing I don't like is when I don't have the right tools and need to compromise, or when it's something I'm new at and don't even know what tools I need. My first time working with pex was like that. It was taking me so much effort and frustration to cut pex, then I realized that the cutter I had was for copper. I bought the pex cutter tool and it was like cutting through butter.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote