Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #1

Share |

Hardi plank installed well?

We're building to replace the house we lost to fire elsewhere. Hardie's fire-resistance is important to us. Our builder proved to be less experienced or thrifty than we'd hoped. Will an expert from Hardie come to our site to check the installation and advise us to safeguard the warranty? We fired the former guy after the siding was nearly (but not quite, as it turns out) done, in Nov. We've been through most of the winter, and it looks like one plank is warping, there are un-trimmed edges beside some doorways.
How should it work to get Hardie to advise us and our replacement builder (who's been doing mostly interior finish for us.)?

robbandjuliaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
mhi

rob sorry for your loss sounds like your having a tuff time. Hardie plank is infact very fire resistant and you made a great choice in choosing hardie plank for the siding. I work with a jacksonville, fl siding company Martin Home Exteriors. We would of gladly drop by if you were in our area. Hardie is a great and durable product but if its not installed correctly you can run into some problems. We have plenty of information about hardie plank installations and overall product information on our site: http://www.martinhomeexteriors.com you read up and knowledge yourself. When in search for a new hardie plank contractor you should look for a "James Hardie Prefered Contractor".

James Hardie's website has a referral script. Hope you the best. You might also want to check out our Installation video on youtube:

mhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #3

Angry

We're in western Massachusetts. All Four Seasons - muddy thaw going on here while the eastern part of the state is flooding.
Doesn't Hardie pay expert advisors (even part of their regional sales staff?) to work with customers to "get it right"?
We fear we're seeing water getting through to our freshly installed insulation where the trim hasn't fully covered the edges of the Hardie planks. Is that possible?
Old 03-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
Mod

Rob, I've done lots and lots of Hardi. A few pictures would help
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #5

We have photos, on our Mac laptop, in iPhoto. How to attach to a reply, here??
Question remains: doesn't Hardie maintain a contact with their own people to examine installed siding and advise?
Old 03-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
Mod

Look at the top post in this room, tells you how.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #7

I'm repairing some now that was not done right. lot of water behind so material is saturated, it needs proper install and it can work well. i had'nt noticed the water problem and put a coat of primer on it, came back today and the primer was still wet. little eaxploratory surgery and found all cornice, rakes corner brds etc made out of mdf. totaly waterlogged from roof problems as well as siding. only thing keeping the corner boards up was paint. only thing keeping water out was tyvec. i like the product for what it is and if done right
Old 03-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #8

dosn't matter what kind of siding you have,but if you have roof isuses that is alowing bulk water to get behind the siding,your gonna have problems

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote