Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #1

Share |

Guy borrowed my mower

I need a little perspective on this. Here's the situation...

A few weeks ago, one Saturday morning, I was out in the backyard mowing my grass. I look up and see a guy standing over by the fence trying to get my attention. I go over and he asks if I can do him a favor. He says he'll cut my front yard and finish the back yard if I let him borrow the mower for a little while. From everything he says it's clear that he cuts grass for money and isn't just some guy wanting to mow his own yard. But I figure, hey, why not help a guy out and get my yard mowed for free?

So I let him have it. Finally, a few days later on Tuesday, he shows up and cuts the front yard and leaves the mower. When I agreed to let him borrow the mower I was thinking it wouldn't be for more than a day, but oh well.

About a week later he shows up at my door one morning. I'm still half asleep when I open the door, and he asks if he can borrow the mower again, and he'll cut the front yard for free again. It's too early for me to think about it too much, so I agree. I don't see him or the mower again for nearly a week, but finally he shows up and cuts the grass and leaves the mower.

By this point I'm noticing a lot of wear on the mower. The blade is getting rather dull and chewed up, the wheels getting worn smooth, and the underside dented from where it looks like he hit something pretty hard. And over the next few days I notice that sometimes the mower will disappear for a day or two, then appear again, then disappear again a day or two later.

That went on for about a week until I decided to cut my back yard with it and I noticed one of the front wheels was awfully lose and wiggly, to the point where the mower wasn't level. My attempt to tighten the wheels made the problem worse and I had to spend $30 on a new front wheel height adjuster thing.

The mower sat there for several days with only three wheels, so it didn't go anywhere. Then late yesterday afternoon I finally got the time to repair the mower. I decided to cut some grass while it was still daylight, but that's when I realize my gas can is gone. And it wasn't like it was full either. It had just enough gas for maybe one or two more mows.

Then this morning I get up and see that now the mower is gone too.

I don't get it. Have I said or done something to make the guy legitimately think I've given him carte blanche to take the mower whenever he wants without asking as long as he eventually cuts my front yard? It's not like I've ever told him he couldn't borrow it. On the other hand he hasn't given me much opportunity lately. I haven't seen him in a couple weeks.

I guess I could put a note on the mower next time. Or tell him to stop whenever he finally shows up to cut my front yard.

And, seriously, my gas can?

Hamsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
Wire Chewer

Guy borrowed my mower

Wow sounds like he is taking way too much advantage of the fact that you said yes twice. I would go with the note on the mower.

Also I would not leave the mower in a place where it can just be taken, as thieves could also take it.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Handyman

Guy borrowed my mower

Haunting words but often true... A few years back, in the townhouse block I lived in, an ex-tenant came to visit me after 5 years of her being evicted. She explained how her life had taken a turn for the worst. She had become pregnant and she was heavy into drugs. She had two young kids which were now under the care of the CAS. She was not allowed even supervised access to them until she was clean. Like an idiot, I gave her the spare room, meals, and even some spending money for makeup and all the other girlie things. I even paid to get a rotten tooth removed. I told her that in exchange for my help, I wanted to be with her when she could be reunited with her kids. I entered her into, and paid for, a rehab stay for 60 days in Toronto. I visited every weekend and sent flowers on her birthday. We talked about how proud we were of her accomplishment.

Three months later she was confirmed clean and was allowed to visit her kids (supervised) at the CAS centre. We did that for about two weeks. Next thing I know, she is pregnant. The father is her drug dealer.

How she fooled the system is beyond me, but I heard that the baby was taken immediately from her after birth because of an inherited drug addiction.
I was devastated! I asked her why, after all the help, she would let me down. Her answer, plain and simple was, " Dave,No good deed goes unpunished"

Sad but true
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
Electrician

Guy borrowed my mower

I find myself being much more abrupt with people. I might not make as many friends, but people don't take advantage either. I hate being used.
Attached Thumbnails
Guy borrowed my mower-eastwoodmylawn.jpg  
Old 08-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #5

Guy borrowed my mower

I'd loan my mower to a neighbor...but not my next door neighbor
He has a landscaping business
And his mowers get a workout
Anyone that is doing this to make $$ can buy a mower if they have a legitimate business

One month of commecial use non-stop could equal years of my residential use
My mower is never out where someone can simply take it

He may very well think as long as he keeps mowing the front yard he can borrow the mower
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
Handyman

Guy borrowed my mower

Yeah but whats the lesson here? I learned an expensive one and would do it again...just more knowledgeable
Old 08-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #7

Guy borrowed my mower

I'd help pay for a close relatives rehab...maybe
Never a strangers
Not a tenants after they had to be evicted
Old 08-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
Handyman

Guy borrowed my mower

I have been cursed with a bleeding heart. I am happy to have done what I did, just a shame that it didn't work out. I would do it again though, but with cooperation from the CAS. Beats doing nothing, and I did get the pics of her with the children. Something I will remember.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
uva uvam videndo variafit

Guy borrowed my mower

I'm pretty charitable, but I'm pretty selective too. I would not have lent my mower to someone unless I knew them well and it was to cut their yard. That's like asking someone for money to invest and giving you back a little less than the principal in tattered bills. How ignorant. Some say that violence doesn't solve anything, but sometimes it greases the solution.
WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Guy borrowed my mower

No way someone I don't know will borrow anything?
If he lived in the hood and needed help, I would offer to cut his yard.

While I was waiting for parts to my rider, I was cutting the grass with a push mower.
Both neighbors across the street offered to cut it for me, and I would do the same for them.

I also think we are being set up!
Old 08-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #11
nap
You talking to me?

Guy borrowed my mower

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaclub View Post
I have been cursed with a bleeding heart. I am happy to have done what I did, just a shame that it didn't work out. I would do it again though, but with cooperation from the CAS. Beats doing nothing, and I did get the pics of her with the children. Something I will remember.
I've been really down on my luck lately. I've been out of work for near 10 months. The stack of unpaid bills is getting higher and I don't know how long I can live on rice, beans, and water. I know if I could pay off my house, everything would be fine. I could find things to earn enough to pay all my other bills but if I lose my house, well, that would just be more than I could bear.

what do ya say? Willing to fund the Save Naps house fund, fully?

and if you have any doubts of how nice of a guy I am, just ask the other guys here. I help anybody in any way I can.

Ready for the address to send the money?

I would love to send you pics of my children, and my one and only grandchild if you would like.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:02 PM   #12
nap
You talking to me?

Guy borrowed my mower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post

I also think we are being set up!
Just because it was a first time poster telling us that sad tale?

canadaclub. I was only joking but hopefully you will realize something. If people think you are an easy mark, it's because you have been an easy mark before. It may seem heartless but most people are responsible for being where they are and trying to help such as you have rarely gets the results you had hoped for.

Quote:
How she fooled the system is beyond me, but I heard that the baby was taken immediately from her after birth because of an inherited drug addiction.
well, what did you expect? She fooled you and you were much closer than any social worker ever was.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #13

Guy borrowed my mower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
Just because it was a first time poster telling us that sad tale?
...and was off the site within 3 minutes
Old 08-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #14

Guy borrowed my mower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
...and was off the site within 3 minutes
I had to go back to work.

Still no sign of the guy and my yard wasn't cut today. We'll see what happens tomorrow.
Hamsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #15
nap
You talking to me?

Guy borrowed my mower

call the police if you don't want to wait. Giving expressed permission previously does not translate to implied permission at some other time. Now, if you fail to act to either make a statement that he is not allowed to take the mower or call the police and report it, it could be seen that you have given tacit permission and would have a very difficult time preventing his borrowing in the future.