Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Cruising into the sunset

Share |

Got to see Joe Walsh last night

Joe Walsh was in town over the weekend. He played Saturday at an outdoor venue. We got to see him there but it was hot and loud.

But last night he played at a fundraiser and on a whim, the night before, we bought tickets. It was at a restaurant with a small concert room on the second floor. I'd guess there was 300-400 people there, SRO.

We were standing just to the right of the stage, about 7-8 feet from where the percussion guys were (that's their mics on the right). I've never been that close to a stage.

He hasn't lost it but it was his ability to enjoy himself while playing some great music that kept me smiling the whole time. He's a pretty funny guy and I think he's really enjoying life. He's a very young 64 now.

Here's a video from last night:

I shot about 30 seconds of his new tune "Analog Man" before the memory in my camera ran out. Bad planning! For anyone who thinks all this technology is bad for us, you'll enjoy the lyrics.

JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

One of my top 5 musicians

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I like him too but wouldn't put him in my top five. He has a new album out this year I seem to remember? Have you heard it? I haven't really heard much about him in recent years which doesn't mean anything.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #4

i like his old stuff. and with the EAGLES.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:03 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I like him too but wouldn't put him in my top five. He has a new album out this year I seem to remember? Have you heard it? I haven't really heard much about him in recent years which doesn't mean anything.

Well, to each his own. I have heard parts of the new album and was not impressed. He is a very good song writer and pretty good gutarist. The very early stuff before the commercial Eagles crap was Joe at his best. The very first James Gang album is still one of my favorite albums
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
Cruising into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
If you click on the link for "Analog Man" in my first post, you can hear the title song to the album. Then there's a link there for another new song on the album, "Lucky That Way".

It's his first solo album in 20 years. One article I read said he hadn't put out a new CD in 20 years. Did they even have CDs 20 years ago?

There was a good Howard Stern interview I listened to after the Saturday concert. Joe said he's been sober 20 years now and talked about how some of the Eagles' members came up to him saying they were going to do a reunion and wanted him, but only if he was sober. He still talks like he's buzzed though, but that's Joe.

I was never a big fan but his music was everywhere when I was in my 20s and hearing the James Gang tunes Saturday was like a time machine back to my college dorm, where you couldn't walk the halls without hearing Joe singing something.

BTW, the Sunday gig was a fundraiser for an Iraq war vet, who lost both legs in the war, who is running for congress... against a guy named Joe Walsh.
JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Did they even have CDs 20 years ago?
iirc, and i am pretty close if not. CD's came out around 1979.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

I have always like his stuff and I dig his laid back attitude and persona on stage.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote