Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
JOATMON

Share |

Good Children's Educational Movies/Videos?

So....what would be on your list of good children's movies (ages 7 to 14) that are both educational and enjoyable....

Top of the list for me would be "How It's Made" (yes Creeper, it's a Canadian production).

When they were babies...."Little Einstein"

Any other suggestions?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Creeper has been banned again. Been there may nail me soon too. If politics do not match his, you are gone from this site.

Princess Bride is a great kids movie. So is the Robin Williams Peter Pan remake for over 3. Ants is an amazing animated film for all ages.

The colored version of the Original Wizard of Oz still scared nieces and nephews of mine and flying monkey still haunt me.

A bit older? What was the movie about racism where people started out in black and white but then ended up in full color as it went on and they learned things like there was life beyond their small town. Reese Witherspoon was in it.

4-14 is quite an age range to cover. I just liked going to films. We got in free during the miscile crisis in Cheyenne with bottle caps on milk delivery products. So we would run around and open the fans of offered products on delivery day. Our parents never said anything but enough bottle caps ended up for us to not have to duck and cover under desks weekends.

ET of course for all ages. Back to the Future ONE for a bit older.

Older kids will suggest they hate The Navigator but will not leave the viewing. It is about a kid who finds and steers a spaceship.

Born Free of course.

The Gods Must be Crazy is about a guy who marches a coke bottle to the end of the World.

Bambi

Of course Babe circling sheep is both funny and educational.

What was the name of the animated film with the flying chickens?

I liked the film where the kids rescued the dogs an an antique hotel but I have a bias.

I could go on but it would be unfair. I built a Museum for the little tykes and researched just about any appropriate title out there.

Last edited by user1007; 08-06-2013 at 07:04 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #3

Reading Rainbow has a view videos out that are good and encourage reading.

Vegitales for a more cartoony with a message series.

Trevor Romain has a video series that can help kids get through a variety of life's tough situations.

A lot of kids like the Dora and Diego videos.

If they are still young enough "Little Einsteins" is a great one for exposure to great composers, artists, and values.

If you want something that they will just like to watch there are a couple of movies called "Animusic" and "Animusic II". Google it.
Catdaddyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #4

Skip the movies- give them a good book to read.

They'll hate it at first- but I bet they learn to enjoy reading
gma2rjc (08-08-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post

Oh, they do plenty of reading....my oldest (11) is about one day away from completing the last Harry Potter book...

At 8pm the TV goes off and it's book time...but between 6 & 8 (assuming homework is done, they get to watch TV.

I'm looking for videos will actually teach them something...instead of watching crap like "Sponge Bob"....they have pretty much gone through the current batch of PBS specials.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 08-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdaddyxx View Post
Reading Rainbow has a view videos out that are good and encourage reading.

Vegitales for a more cartoony with a message series.

Trevor Romain has a video series that can help kids get through a variety of life's tough situations.

A lot of kids like the Dora and Diego videos.

If they are still young enough "Little Einsteins" is a great one for exposure to great composers, artists, and values.

If you want something that they will just like to watch there are a couple of movies called "Animusic" and "Animusic II". Google it.
7, 9 & 11.....my 7 year old is reading on a 5th grade level....

Old 08-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Oh, they do plenty of reading....my oldest (11) is about one day away from completing the last Harry Potter book...

At 8pm the TV goes off and it's book time...but between 6 & 8 (assuming homework is done, they get to watch TV.

I'm looking for videos will actually teach them something...instead of watching crap like "Sponge Bob"....they have pretty much gone through the current batch of PBS specials.....
Record Duck Dynasty- It's funny and it has good lessons, etc.
gma2rjc (08-08-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:

Parents used to punish me the only way that really worked. If I did something stupid my library card got taken away and I was not allowed to do anything but walk around the Bookmobile that came to our remote area.

Your children's librarian, by the way, should have many lists of recommended book and movie titles for kids.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Record Duck Dynasty- It's funny and it has good lessons, etc.
Duck Dynasty....

It's so hard to find a decent tv show or movie that doesn't have a political or social message in it. And even harder to find one where the adults don't look and act like idiots and the kids are wiser than them.

I would suggest finding some of the old Lassie episodes, Andy Griffith, Mayberry RFD or almost any of the kids shows from that era. I remember watching those and learning a lot from them.

Barb

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
It's so hard to find a decent tv show or movie that doesn't have a political or social message in it. And even harder to find one where the adults don't look and act like idiots and the kids are wiser than them.

I would suggest finding some of the old Lassie episodes, Andy Griffith, Mayberry RFD or almost any of the kids shows from that era. I remember watching those and learning a lot from them.

Barb
Or a fanatical unflinching religious message or perspective. I do remember one, with white people only since black were certainly not allowed to be shown much on TV or even in film that was mild. I forget the name, and it was animated. I remember the fave line was, "You got hosed Davie! You got hosed!"

Vege Tales? Friend' son made high six figures working on that empire starting after college graduation. People he was working with, and lack of any consistent biblical accuracy scared him off. He is only making low six figures now even though they promised he would never work again.

I too remember many early television shows like Sky King, and Sea Hunt. Sea Hunt inspired me to get diving certification years later. I have a pilots license but for sailboats, not airplanes. I remember TV trays and horrible grilled canned salmon sandwiches but watching the Disney Hour as a family.

Once when it was still Canary Row, we spent a weekend exploring the tidepools of Pacific Grove and staying at the Beachcomber Motel in Monterey across from the Asilomar. I don't know how but it may still be sanding. And we went as a family to see Julie Andrews help a family escape into the Alps in a theater where the Monterey Aquarium is now. We got dragged to everything from museums to sporting events and concerts of all music genres as kids. Now a family can hardly afford one every few years! What a shame and terrible shift in thinking and funding priority.

Partly because it was California, we spent most of our time outside. It was not fashionable to be glued to a tv, video game, computer or whatever---yet.

We got the first color television of my life and I think it destroyed us. Each RGB color gun had to be adjusted individually since there was no common adjustment sent. So we would get up, over and over again, and all four of us would tweak color. And then the industry around us what start canning things and the tuner contacts would corrode.

There was no cable yet either so every weekend part of the ritual was to get up on the roof and adjust the antenna, as if we could improve on last weekend. Signals bounced off the hills so we saw two of everything. Finally antenna rotors came out so rooftop escapades stopped.

TV was so horrible we just did not watch it must I guess. We stopped going to movies as a family to though.

Last edited by user1007; 08-08-2013 at 01:30 PM.