Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #1

Share |

GMO Takeover

The Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) as is being discussed here, are referring specifically to the patented modified seeds that have been in commercial existence since 1994. The first was the Flavr Savr Tomato by Calgene released in 1994. Monsanto released Roundup ready Soy in 1996 and since then the patented seeds market has expanded to include maize (corn), canola, rice, cotton seed oil, papaya, zuchini, and sugar beets.

Below is a pros/cons list of Roundup Ready (RR) and 2,4-D Resistant Genetically Engineered food crops. I'll keep updating these lists as new information is posted/found:

RR and 2,4-D GMO Pros:
1) There are little to no studies of modern (Round-up Ready or 2,4-D) GE crop ingestion that provides un-favorable health results.
2) Allows for more consistent yields.
3) Allows for more yield per acre through weed exterminations.
4) Seeds are pre-coated with insecticides so the plant bears the resistant within its physical structure, eliminating the need for an additional spray process.
5) Crops can be modified to resist common diseases, reducing crop losses. (e.g. Hawaiian Papaya was engineered to resist its "ringspot" disease)
6)

RR and 2,4-D GMO Cons:
1) There are little to no studies of modern (Round-up Ready) GE crop ingestion that provides favorable health results.
2) 2,4-D (http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/2,4-DTech.pdf) is scheduled to be used on the next generation of GE crops as super weeds, being resistant to Round-up, have begun to propogate. With every increasing resistance comes the need for ever increasing herbicides to combat.
3) Shrinking biodiversity due to cross-pollination and GE crops dominating gene traits.
4) Shrinking diversity of farming options as field planted with GE crops and sprayed with herbicides have very little options for alternative non-GE plantings.
5) Shrinking world export markets as countries are increasing the bans or GE crop imports and/or planting. Bad for the U.S. farmer market and U.S. macroeconomics.
6) Increase of ground water contaminations as stronger herbicides are used to counter-act super weed development
7) Increasing evidence points towards these GE crops, with seed coatings of neonicotinoid, as a cause of Bee Colony Collapse Disorder.
8) The ability to take "free" life forms and turn them into patented products through dominant genetics.
9) Monopolization of the food industry. Technologies like the "terminator gene" and "emergent sprays" could force cyclical product purchases.
10) Through monopolization into huge conglomorates comes the potential for governing body influence. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3OUJeVOyZY&feature=player_embedded)
11)

Last edited by AGWhitehouse; 12-17-2012 at 05:48 PM.
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #2

GMO Takeover

"Organic" doesn't really affect "GMO" does it?

I'd love to see some real studies that say that genetically modified foods are really bad. Most of it seems like fear mongering to me.

TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

GMO Takeover

Quote:
I'd love to see some real studies that say that genetically modified foods are really bad. Most of it seems like fear mongering to me.
Ayuh,... Growers have been genetically modifin' food plants, since We stopped bein' hunter/ gathers....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #4

GMO Takeover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... Growers have been genetically modifin' food plants, since We stopped bein' hunter/ gathers....
well, kinda, Bond. They modified them through selective breeding/planting (Gregor Mendel and even way before him). Not, genetically altered DNA strands. Still, to me, its much the same ends, different means. No big deal.

Organic hype- no difference in nutritional values between organic and non. No proof. No scientific method evidence whatsoever.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #5

GMO Takeover

oops........wrong article.......

Last edited by noquacks; 12-11-2012 at 06:32 PM.
noquacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #6

GMO Takeover

dang- still cant get it.........

Last edited by noquacks; 12-11-2012 at 06:32 PM.
noquacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #7

GMO Takeover

OK, got it-explains about persistent ddt =still around in foods, including organic:
http://www.applesforhealth.com/Healt.../ddtrfof3.html
Old 12-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
JOATMON

GMO Takeover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGWhitehouse View Post
I've been promoting going all organic with your diet as a way to fight this onslaught from big brother via our food. They have grown so powerful through our ignorance that they are about to abolish the constitutional restraints and be above the law. Am I alone in being thoroughly disgusted by America's hypocracy here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3OUJeVOyZY&feature=player_embedded
Trolling today?

You should have warned me so I could go get my tin hat....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #9

GMO Takeover

Last edited by AGWhitehouse; 12-12-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #10

GMO Takeover

Old 12-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #11

GMO Takeover

You are all over the place, AGWhitehouse. I appreciate your sentiment, but you can't just make blanket statements about things being bad for you with zero empiracal evidence. Saying that "Big Chemical" or whoever the evil entity is in this debate is preventing any information from getting out there is fine, but not if you can't provide ANY kind of factual information. There are plenty of non-profit and watchdog groups out there that aren't int eh pocket of big business, have any of them published ANYTHING credible to back your claims?

I don't like Monsanto and their patent bullying any more than the next guy, but from a health perspective I've yet to see anything to be concerned about.

And, again, organic has NO BEARING on whether foods are GMO. GMO foods can and are labeled Organic, and GMO foods do NOT need to be labeled, so if you think just by buying organic you're not buying GMO you are SADLY mistaken.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
JOATMON

GMO Takeover

"It's a conspiracy man"....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #13

GMO Takeover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH View Post
GMO foods can and are labeled Organic, and GMO foods do NOT need to be labeled, so if you think just by buying organic you're not buying GMO you are SADLY mistaken.
I definately disagree, and so does the USDA...
http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getf...cct=nopgeninfo

Last edited by AGWhitehouse; 12-12-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #14

GMO Takeover

Old 12-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #15

GMO Takeover

The picture that most people actually care about (money over health, of course) is our economic viability in the food industry. Our crops are slowly being banned from importation around the world. Here's one of many articles: http://www.cropchoice.com/leadstrycb1d.html?recid=91

Last edited by AGWhitehouse; 12-12-2012 at 01:41 PM.