Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:09 AM   #1

Share |

Garage foundation

Hello again,

I am in Eastern North Carolina, my wife and I are looking into getting a home garage built. We wanted to start with getting the slab/foundation poured then work on the garage as we could. We have asked several companies for quotes with no reply once they see the site. I don't know why this is. My question is if anyone in this area could give me an estimated price for concrete and to work it. Or what could I add percentage wise to the price of concrete delivered to have it worked smooth?

Thanks so much!

Axe McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:27 PM   #2

Garage foundation

Concrete was the one thing that I did not do when building the garage. Contractor used charged $3000 for a 20x20 monolithic slab. He was $500 higher then the next bid but was worth it. He added fiber in the mix for additional strength along with using traditional rebar and wire mesh .

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty S. For This Useful Post:
Axe McGee (08-01-2010)
Old 08-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #3

Garage foundation

I can probably handle most everything else about doing this project myself. It's just the concrete work could make everything go horribly wrong if done wrong. I figure I'm looking at about $5-6K. we'll see.
Axe McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Garage foundation

What about the site makes it so complicated?

Maybe a pic or two would help figure that out.

When it comes to a grade beam/monolithic slab, I would rather do the gradign and forming myself, as it has a direct reflection on the finished product. That being said, I wouldn't discount the job much if I were only pouring it, since the odds are we would be "fixing" a few things to make it to "our" liking and standards.

Sorry to hear that you can't even get a quote back though. Have you tried following up after a week or so with the contractors?
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote