Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Fuel oil price

got first delivery of the season the other day, $2.99 a gallon. thought I would make the rest of the country feel better, its usually higher here in the north east. Also, gas is down to $1.89 a gallon.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Fuel oil price

I bought mine at the wrong time. I thought early fall would have been the best time and this was when they thought oil prices were still going to rise, so I filled my tank. 3.63 a gallon. Now it's 2.41.

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Fuel oil price

filled up one tank three weeks ago and paid 2.22gal. COD. no contract.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
Custom Cabinet Maker

Fuel oil price

2.35 on automatic delivery program and gas tonight 2.65 Shell reg. Some off brands ( Delta) at 2.61
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:56 PM   #5

Fuel oil price

What we SHOULD be doing during this time is pushing hard to develop new alternative sources of energy. The price of gasoline and heating oil is going to eventually go higher, and we don't want to be caught unprepared for it. Unfortunately, as long as fuel is thought of as "cheap", there won't be the incentive to develop alternatives like there was a year or so ago.

We need to use this time of reduced oil prices to develop alternative sources of energy so that they will be available when we need them.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:25 AM   #6

Fuel oil price

http://www.chevrolet.com/fuelcell/ Didn't get to see it but a local dealer had one at the lot to test drive, won't be ready for another 6-7 yrs, as with other alternaltives, has pro's and con's.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
Kap
Mowing my life away.

Rewards Points: 250

Fuel oil price

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE! View Post
http://www.chevrolet.com/fuelcell/ Didn't get to see it but a local dealer had one at the lot to test drive, won't be ready for another 6-7 yrs, as with other alternaltives, has pro's and con's.
That alone should justify the bail out-with the stipulation they proceed full bore on that project.
Kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Fuel oil price

what ever happened to those two people who took a volkswagen rabbit and worked it to get 100mpg. back around the 70's any older fellas remember reading that, I believe they were from FLA.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:28 PM   #9
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Fuel oil price

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
2.35 on automatic delivery program and gas tonight 2.65 Shell reg. Some off brands ( Delta) at 2.61
THose gas prices are about a dollar a gallon higher than surrounding areas.

Are you sure it wasn't $1.61 a gallon up there?
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:05 PM   #10

Fuel oil price

I'd like to see a lot more research on lithium ion rechargeable batteries for cars. NO ONE needs to be driving a gasoline powered car three miles to the office every morning and three miles home in the afternoon. That is well within the range of electric cars.

Also, even though you hardly ever hear the word any more, most of the air pollution produced by a car is produced as the engine is warming up, and that takes a few miles at least. So, if you drive 3 miles to work and 3 miles back, the pollution control equipment on your car is just extra weight because it does no good until the engine reaches it's normal operating temperature.

We have the technology to produce battery powered cars, and there's plenty of instances where people don't really need anything more than a battery powered car to get around in a city. If we develop battery powered cars, we would also be creating demand for electricity production, and that's something we can produce plenty of in North America. We don't have to import that at a cost of 500 billion dollars per year.

The problem is that most people are completely unaware of the fact that an internal combustion engine only utilizes about 10 percent of the energy contained in gasoline. Most of the energy is converted into heat, and most of that heat is wasted. It is transferred to the air via the radiator and exhaust system. There is tremendous potential to improve gas mileage by utilizing that heat, but as long as fuel was cheap there was no effort to find ways to utilize it.

Despite the fact that fuel prices have come down, we should still be pressing forward to find alternative energy sources. Until we do, the US and potentially Canada and Mexico will be dependant on foreign governments to provide us with the fuel we need. That's not a good situation.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 25

Fuel oil price

it just keeps going doing whoop whoop
richardbrickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:00 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

Fuel oil price

The impacts of these hurricanes are evident in the Gulf Coast (PADD 3) refinery outages shown in the figure below. Initially, total outages from both sets of hurricanes were similar, though the September 2008 outage peak in the figure below is higher than the outages shown for 2005. This is because the figure represents monthly averages and the 2005 events spanned two months with Hurricane Katrina reaching the Gulf Coast on August 29 and Rita hitting Louisiana on September 24 while Hurricanes Gustav and Ike created large outages primarily during the single month of September when Gustav hit the Gulf Coast on September 1, followed less than two weeks later by Ike.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 12-04-2008 at 07:19 AM. Reason: SITE RULES VIOLATION: Advertising Link Removed from Signature
PaulAdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:08 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

Fuel oil price

I like how the prices have begun to fall again.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 12-15-2008 at 04:18 PM. Reason: SITE RULES VIOLATION: Advertising Link Removed from Signature
sharon333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 25

Fuel oil price

I need to call on Monday and see how much its dropped... I put 125 gallons in 2 months ago... At $3.69 a gallon...
nperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:54 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 75

Fuel oil price

Not no more , IN NYC , its down to under $2