Framing Cost Question - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

framing cost question

I'm fixing a rotted 15 ft x 15ft side of a condo . It needs a15ft rim joist and 5 studs also a corner 15ft high .also suporting the condo with lollie colums . I'm charging $3000.00 to high . They saying I'm over biding

Advertisement

oceandweler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,194

framing cost question

I should charge you $3000 to fix your spelling.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
AtlanticWBConst. (12-02-2012), gregzoll (12-03-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 680

framing cost question

Man, there's a charge for miss spelling? Guess I'm going to have to get a real job to make the payments.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

framing cost question

Can't much help you. There are too many factors and variables that will affect costs.
This includes the site conditions, material costs, labor costs, and overhead expenses such as; fuel, various insurances, licensing, permits, equipment, annual business costs, OSHA safety compliance, EPA-RRP Lead compliance, other hazardeous compliance, debris disposal cost, tenting of areas and clean-ups, logistics, if painting is included, if interior work is included and it is finished space with people living in it, etc, etc, etc....

FWIW: My take is ----- That I personally don't give a rats behind, what people "think things should cost" (high, or low), or what some " inexperienced Hack with no insurance or license" is bidding at, for the same type of project. My prices are based on experience. They are fair, correct, and par for the industry. I know this beyond any shadow of a doubt.

This may not be what you wanted to hear, but in conclusion, if you don't have enough experience, understanding of budgets/expenses/costs, or confidence in your pricing, then maybe you should not be out bidding professionally on work.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

framing cost question

I can only quote if you tell me about the colors that will go on your work. I think this is the nicest moderator position on what you ask?

http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/how-mu...127914/http://
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:58 AM   #6

framing cost question

This is for Atlantic . Your are right about the bidding . Thanks for your reply and my bid was correct. The other bid was from a unlicensed contractor which the owner caught on the street. The worst is the people who are calling me have been robbed by other contractors. It's sad what's going on at the shore.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,282

framing cost question

Don't feel bad---If you worked up an honest set of numbers on a complicated job how could you be that much 'to high'?

The other bid is missing something----so that fellow will either loose money---or more likely,cheat the customer by cutting corners to make up the $3000---

So another customer will be robbed----because they were sure they could get the same work done for $3000 less than your bid----
Greedy people are good marks----and get taken frequently---don't feel bad---(and don't buy that condo)
Old 12-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #8
DIY staff

framing cost question

Don't feel bad---If you worked up an honest set of numbers on a complicated job how could you be that much 'to high'?

The other bid is missing something----so that fellow will either loose money---or more likely,cheat the customer by cutting corners to make up the $3000---

So another customer will be robbed----because they were sure they could get the same work done for $3000 less than your bid----
Greedy people are good marks----and get taken frequently---don't feel bad---(and don't buy that condo)
Old 12-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #9

framing cost question

Thanks , I give an honest price and now people are starting to see that . I just can't stand to see people robbed . It gives the good contrator a bad name on some cases.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #10
DIY staff

framing cost question

It will never change----there is a certain type of customer that doesn't understand that repair work can be complicated and doing it the correct way is going to cost a lot more that a hacked together patch.

Often they are proud of the poor work that they get,too.
kwikfishron (12-03-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #11

framing cost question

I'm seeing a lot of that but I'm expanding as people see the quality of work we do. All word of mouth . That's the best .
Old 12-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,686

framing cost question

A lot of my jobs is fixing work done on the cheap by shoddy "contractors" or by a friend or by H/O who watch a lot of fix-it shows on HGTV.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #13

framing cost question

Yes you are right . Tim the tool man . Lol

Advertisement