Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Share |

Found a robin's nest!

Posted pics here:

http://www.redsquirrel.me/2010/05/found-birds-nest.html

Anyone know how touchy Robins are about their nests? I'm curious and keep checking it, but I don't want to disturb to the point where the mother abandons it.

I'm even looking into the possibility of adding some kind of web cam, but it would probably get expensive just for that use.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:11 AM   #2

Found a robin's nest!

A robin built a nest in some vines that are growing up my chain link fence. She built it about 3 feet from the busiest part of our deck (kids are out there a lot during the day).

I saw her there a lot and within a couple days of me paying attention to her, I noticed she was gone and there was one egg in the nest. When I say I was paying attention to her, I mean that I watched her from the deck and through a window on that side of the house. I didn't go near the nest or reach for it and none of the kids knew it was there. So nothing really changed that I know of, but she never came back. When I hadn't seen her for a few days, I stood on a chair near the edge of the deck, held my camera up as high as I could reach and took a picture of the nest. There was one broken egg in it.

Last year a Robin built a nest on the light fixture right next to our front door. She had 3 babies in it.

The problem with it, was that there was a hole in the bottom of the nest. She used the top of the light fixture as the floor of her nest and only built walls. We found that out when her nest fell and the babies landed on the cement. They were still alive and I set them and the nest back where it was. But it wouldn't stay there after falling the first time.

That evening, the nest and babies were on the ground again and the momma bird didn't come back. It looked like only two of the babies were still alive. I couldn't tell, so I brought them all in for the night and kept them in a small box. The next day I took them to a woman in Grand Rapids who is licensed by the DNR to take in and care for wildlife.

My daughter and son-in-law lived in a second floor apartment a few years ago. They had a fake tree out on their deck and a Robin built a nest in it.

Everyone stayed off the deck until she and the babies left the nest, but they opened the blinds and looked out the window at her a few times, which didn't seem to bother her.

Do you have an older digital camera with a remote control? You might be able to set it up on a tripod and take pictures from the house.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

Found a robin's nest!

So far the nest is still there and Saturday the mother was still on it keeping the eggs warm. Today I did not see her, but it's a hot day so maybe she was gone to get food or just watching it from distance. She hardly moves when I go there now, so maybe she figured I don't mean harm. Eggs should probably hatch soon I'm guessing. Not sure how long they normally stay as eggs.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Found a robin's nest!

Right over our front sidewalk, low enough that I duck under it, there is a robin's nest with babies. It's about 5 feet from our front porch. We've been watching them since she built the nest and she doesn't seem to mind.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #5

Found a robin's nest!

I leave nests & babies to nature, unless it was an endangered species
Robins ...aren't
They live, they live...they die....they die
Blue jays go after all the nests/eggs around here

We have woods next to us, so most birds build in the woods
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:56 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

Found a robin's nest!

Last year I used some of that bio-degradable ground cover in an area I was seeding for grass. This year some of the 'thread' is still around and the robins are steadily pulling it up to make some bio-degradable nests.

Growing up my neighbor had a robin's nest next to their pool one summer. Momma and Daddy Robin took their guarding duties seriously. You couldn't swim in the shallow end or risk loosing some hair. OUCH.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:41 AM   #7

Found a robin's nest!

Years ago, our neighbors cat was out in the yard. That wasn't anything new, but what caught my attention was the noise the birds were making.

I looked around and noticed there was a baby robin on the ground, jumping around. The cat wasn't really going toward the baby, but there were about 10 or more adult Robins flying around and diving at the cat. Boy were they loud!
Old 05-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #8

Found a robin's nest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Posted pics here:

http://www.redsquirrel.me/2010/05/found-birds-nest.html

Anyone know how touchy Robins are about their nests? I'm curious and keep checking it, but I don't want to disturb to the point where the mother abandons it.

I'm even looking into the possibility of adding some kind of web cam, but it would probably get expensive just for that use.
Wow! I never realized how colorful Robin's eggs were. I thought you were joking, and they were Easter eggs; but Googled and found that they really are that blue!

Web cams are very inexpensive today; If you don't need a wireless one, under $30. Might make a pretty cool addition to your website.

FW

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #9

Found a robin's nest!

My brother-in-law used to buy a lot of security cameras & gadgets from x10.com. Their prices are supposed to be pretty good.