Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #1

Share |

Flood 2011 and the sump pump fix

Just 5 years after a devistating flood in 2006, my area got hit with another. Some areas like Binghamton got hit worse than in 06. The river crested here at lower levels than in 2006 so not as bad here but bad enough. My basement flooded for the first time in the 16 years I have lived here and sure enough, the shaft of this sump pump that came with the house broke. So i hooked my pool filter pump up to the sump hose. The challenge other than adapting the two hose sizes was priming the pool pump to get it to operate. It pumped the water out pretty quickly once I got it working. The water has now stopped accumulating in the basement and has drained down the sump well on its own.

Driving anywhere to buy a new pump was not an option. I am pretty much stuck in my village until the flood waters recede hopefully by tomorrow. The flood waters never reach my house. Fortunatly I don't live on River Street.
Attached Thumbnails
Flood 2011 and the sump pump fix-flood-9-8-2011-12-50-23-pm.jpg   Flood 2011 and the sump pump fix-flood-9-8-2011-12-50-34-pm.jpg   Flood 2011 and the sump pump fix-flood-9-8-2011-12-50-45-pm.jpg   Flood 2011 and the sump pump fix-flood-9-8-2011-1-54-17-pm.jpg   Flood 2011 and the sump pump fix-flood-9-8-2011-2-06-55-pm.jpg  

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
Coconut Pete's paella!

Nice job "MacGyvering" that thing!

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CoconutPete For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (09-10-2011), Jim F (09-09-2011), oh'mike (09-09-2011)
Old 09-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
DIY staff

Even if you could drive to a store,I bet there isn't a sump pump to be had for 100 miles---

Good thinking--and a nice fix----Mike----
Jim F (09-09-2011)
Old 09-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #4

I actually had called HD and was told they had sump pumps. Knowing the info those guys are famous for I likely would have found that not to be the case once I got up there. They were also planning to close early due to their own flood concerns so there was a chance I would have found them closed.

I still need a sump pump though and haven't started researching those yet. Any recommendations or brands I should avoid?

I may never used the thing anyway. My basement fortunately is not flood prone. The levels started dropping on their ownsoon after I got the pool pump working. Now I need to tear up the wall to wall carpet down there and do not plan to replace it. As well as several truck loads to the landfill with stuff that was stored down there. The last time this happened they set up a transfer station in the village and didn't charge to dump flood waste. I'm hoping they do that this time.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
DIY staff

The brand is not all that important especially for a seldom run unit.

Zohler is a top brand best for hard use---but yours will mostly sit until the next odd storm.

Around here when a flood happens most villages let us put all the waste on the curb--
then they come with a front end loader and a big dump truck and just scoop up the trash.

Heaven for the garbage pickers---lots of usable stuff.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #6

I'm looking at a basic Craftsman that has good reviews. The Utilitec models that Lowes offer look like garbage and the comperable HD Rigid model has mixed reviews and some very poor reviews. All the ones I am looking at are around $169. I may never use the thing at all but I do need it to perform if I do need it. The one that was sitting in the basement all those years had a plastic body and a plastic piece that connected the impeller shaft to the motor and that is what snapped.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
DIY Hack

So maybe the solution is to buy 2 cheaper units. Put one in the pit and the other on the shelf
FWIW: I've always had good luck with Wayne pumps
Old 09-10-2011, 11:55 PM   #8

Went ahead and got a Wayne 1/3 HP submersable at the local hardware store for 120. That should get the job done if I ever have a need again. I'll just keep it in the box until I need it.

Got the bulk of my flood damage down to the emergency transfer site today, two truckloads full. Got about half a load for tomorrow too.

Last edited by Jim F; 09-10-2011 at 11:57 PM.