Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2010, 07:41 AM   #1

Share |
Question

First time home buyer with question about results of home inspection.

Hi, I am in the process of buying my first home. I have recently had the inspection done and all went well but i have concerns about the electrical part of the inspection. This is a older home (pre 70's) so i don't know what is considered acceptable for the electicle system in this home. Can anyone tell me based on the info below, that the electric is considered updated or that i should have a professional come in to look at it. Any help is appreciated, thanks

Electrical Findings
Electrical Box Circuit Breakers - Service Line Aluminum
Branch Wiring - Copper
Cap Amps 100
Cap Volts 240
Location In the garage.
Amps 100
Location In the basement stairs.
Main Disconn 100
Comments : There are some open grounded electrical outlets. There are some double posted electrical wire in the SubPanel breaker box in
the basement stairs. There are some aluminum branch wires in the SubPanel breaker box in the basement stairs.

Amps
Satisfactory Satisfactory
SubPanel Circuit Breakers Satisfactory
Entrance Overhead
Grounded No visible evidence
Bonded To the cold water line - Satisfactory
satisfactory
Capacity

autumnredstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
I=E/R

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnredstorm View Post
Electrical Findings
Branch Wiring - Copper
Cap Amps 100
Cap Volts 240
Location In the garage.
Amps 100
Main Disconn 100
Comments : There are some open grounded electrical outlets. There are some double posted electrical wire in the SubPanel breaker box in
the basement stairs. There are some aluminum branch wires in the SubPanel breaker box in the basement stairs.

Amps
Entrance Overhead
satisfactory
Capacity
Some of the write-up is confusing.
I wonder what double posted electrical wire is?
What is in the garage, the main panel with the 100 amp disconnect but then is says there is a 100 amp disconnect in the basement stairs??
The comments say there is a sup panel in the basement.

Since you are buying this home, the seller should provide it with a safe electrical system correctly wired to the applicable code.
Since the inspection turned up some questionable wiring, open grounds, and there is possibly a sub panel with aluminum wires, which may be just fine, the seller should cover this.
You could talk with your realtor and ask that the seller correct any deficient wiring.

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
=a7ecorsair;503198]Some of the write-up is confusing.
I wonder what double posted electrical wire is?
I suspect it means 2 wires landed on a breaker. Not sure but just my suspicion.

Quote:
What is in the garage, the main panel with the 100 amp disconnect but then is says there is a 100 amp disconnect in the basement stairs??
The comments say there is a sup panel in the basement
.that part I don't get either

Quote:
Since the inspection turned up some questionable wiring, open grounds, and there is possibly a sub panel with aluminum wires, which may be just fine, the seller should cover this.
agreed and I would pay special attention to the aluminum branch circuit wiring. If there have not been a proper correction to the terminations at the branch circuit devices (switches, receps) I would either require that be done prior to sale or get an estimate to do the work and figure that in with your offer in some manner.
You could talk with your realtor and ask that the seller correct any deficient wiring.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnredstorm View Post
Hi, I am in the process of buying my first home. I have recently had the inspection done and all went well but i have concerns about the electrical part of the inspection. This is a older home (pre 70's) so i don't know what is considered acceptable for the electicle system in this home. Can anyone tell me based on the info below, that the electric is considered updated or that i should have a professional come in to look at it. Any help is appreciated, thanks

Electrical Findings
Branch Wiring - Copper
Cap Amps 100
Cap Volts 240
Location In the garage.
Amps 100
Main Disconn 100

Amps
Entrance Overhead
satisfactory
Capacity
First, that's an excellent illustration of the limitations of "checklist" style computer home inspection reports - this is why some of us use a narrative report format, and why my description of that electrical system, what I found, the implications, and my recommendations for correction would have likely have run to 2-3 pages.

Was the report printed on-site? Was that "quick turn-around" pitched as a "feature" of the inspection? IMO this sort of reporting is usually done for the inspector's convenience, not the client's. (It typically takes me 4-5 hours to write a report on a single family residence, and it typically runs 35-40 pages).

The first thing I would do is get on the phone with the inspector, and politely insist that he or she make a mutually convenient phone appointment to discuss *all* inspection items about which you have questions in detail, and until you are satisfied you completely understand the report.

Most inspectors will be willing to do this, if only because it reduces the likelihood of a future lawsuit. Smart inspectors are happy to do it, if only because it's an important way of learning how to improve your reporting technique. (If you are writing a clear report you should not be getting calls from clients who do not understand multiple comments on your report!)

If the inspector can not or will not clarify the report, then unfortunately if you have significant questions about what you are buying, your best option is to have the property re-inspected by someone with better communications skills and/or a different basic approach to communication with their clients.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 09-18-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote