Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2010, 10:04 AM   #1

Share |

Extending the front of my garage by 3-5', how major of a undertaking is this?

I would like to have another 3-5' of length on my 2 car garage. It would have to be extended out from the garage door. Going the other direction is not an option as its an attached garage and my bedroom is on the other side of the wall.

Now clearly I would have to get a contractor to look into this. I'm just wondering if I could have some first impressions as to how large an undertaking would this be. Now, I figure I would have to extend the foundation, add walls, rework the roof somehow.... Sounds very costly. The house is in Florida with CBS walls.

My main question is how costly could this get? Am I looking at a 10K project or more like a 30-40K project? Any ballpark ideas?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Extending the front of my garage by 3-5', how major of a undertaking is this?-cimg2067.jpg   Extending the front of my garage by 3-5', how major of a undertaking is this?-cimg2068.jpg   Extending the front of my garage by 3-5', how major of a undertaking is this?-cimg2064.jpg  

Kevin993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
STAFF

That is not going to be an easy fix nor a cheap fix. The roof will have to be removed back to the first common rafter on each side and the front roof back to the ridge. New footings, additional concrete walkway, electricity involved and this is just to start. The slab will have to be removed from the door out as the concrete approach isn't level. New approach will be steeper as it looks like the approach drops fairly well. Stucco will have to be matched. The further I go the more problems I see that will have to be worked out. And the list goes on and on.

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 07-24-2010 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Left some off
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #3

Thank you for your analysis. Looks like there is a lot more here to consider. I know its tough to give numbers, but ball park is this more like a 10-15K project or a 30-40K project?

Thank you
Kevin993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #4

Don't foget about zoning setbacks and possibly some engineering costs.
rustyjames is online now   Reply With Quote