The Evolution Of Your Career. - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2014, 07:24 AM   #1
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

The Evolution of Your Career.

Simple topic, really. What is your career and where do you see yourself going with it? What brought you into your career? Why?

With myself, I more or less fell into hvac (heating, ventilation, air conditioning) as I was merely looking for a job and found one as an install helper from an ad in a newspaper. That was over a decade ago.

Now with much experience and knowledge under my belt through the many years in the field, a field I've thought many times of leaving, I find that I'm finally wanting to thrive at it.

Looking to take NATE classes and become NATE certified and move on up from a service tech to a service manager within the next few years as recently I've found that the many intriguing challenges of and within my field of business are only yet beginning, and I certainly like challenges.

You?

Advertisement

Old 02-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 864

Service managers take a LOT of abuse from customers ( my part cost $10 on the net and I want to argue for 2 hrs because you sold it for $189 or spam you all over the net ) etc etc. A real stressful thankless job IMO as you get it from the customers, management and your workers. May want to think twice or talk to other people about it.

Advertisement

Last edited by yuri; 02-26-2014 at 08:57 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:25 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 246

Yuri is correct. If you want to go into management you will need to grow thick skin. Having been there my self as a supervisor (or as many tried to call me stupidvisor) and project manager you get to the point that it doesn't matter who you try to satisfied, some on is going to call you out. When you start taking your frustrations home you will find that if will effect your home life. Having said that, you are the only one that will be able to make that decision. Sometimes it is a thankless job but I found that starting and completing a job was very satisfying.
landfillwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

After 35 yrs in the HVAC biz and having worked in a hospital and union and with thousands of different people I think I have seen almost all of it. I could have been a manager 25 yrs ago or owned my own company but dealing with the public and dishonesty and workers getting drunk, going AWOL, stealing etc etc it all has to be dealt with by the service manager or manager or owner. Not something I ever wanted. Takes a special kind of person who does not get mad to do that job. You will be on a salary and working 10-12 hrs days or more and it does affect a persons life in a not good way.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 542

I started in the construction industry as a concrete truck driver. I answered an ad in the paper looking for non-CDL drivers to train, since the company was having trouble finding qualified applicants. They got me my Class B CDL, and I worked there for 7 years or so.

After getting my Class A, I got a job closer to home with a small excavation company. Although I primarily drive dump truck and transport equipment, I'm getting at least a passing familiarity with all the other stuff we have (excavator, backhoes, dozer, roller, road grader, etc.). I like to do a little bit of everything.

I've been offered management on many occasions, and it just isn't the way I'm wired. I'll leave that to the people who thrive on that sort of thing. As long as I'm content in what I'm doing, I don't feel the need to make my job the entire focus of my life. I'm saving that part for family and hobbies.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:19 PM   #6

I agree Mort! That is one thing I miss when becoming a supervisor. I miss the hands on even running a shovel. I could spend all day running a piece of equipment and not feel like I worked an 8 hour day. After 4 hours working as a supervisor it felt like 21 hours. I was a good Operator but I was also a good supervisor. I got the work done on time and under budget. But i also was an emotional wreck later on.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,318

In 1973, I had just been laid off from factory job. A friend asked if I wanted to help take up carpet on a big job. The layer hired me full time after about a week. Went on my own after a year. Hired other help and did big jobs for years. Cut back to working by myself and had three apt complexes I was doing for about 10 years. About 5 years ago, health problems made me go to part time. Still do an occasional job, even though I shouldn't. I don't like being almost retired.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:44 PM   #8
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 640

I never had plan one. I just stumbled from one situation to the next. The basis for all that I have done boils down to auto mechanic. I started as the neighborhood bicycle / dirt bike mechanic in the fourth grade. I work at an import shop during high school. It all transferred to every thing in life, Basic problem solving from figuring out why my car will not run. Having the hands on experience to actually make the repairs. Now, most things come down to how can I relate to people. Many people I deal with do not know right from wrong, how to manage money, or even the most basic life skills. I honestly do not see a future with me in Detroit. Nor me as a landlord. I hope to move out to the desert and fix old cars.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
I'm Your Huckleberry

I hear you, Yuri. Owner of my last company was my last service manager's worst nightmare, wouldn't let him do his job and his job was being there for us techs.

I guess I'm merely thinking aloud in this thread. I don't know what the future holds exactly but I might as well excel as best I can and on that note my very first call in new company van out alone this morning I sold a complete Trane 16 seer 410A 4 ton system for 13k. 10% of that is my commission earnings which are separate from my regular pay. Not too shabby and I would definitely miss that (opportunity) as a service manager.

I'm gearing up for sales, company sending us to Trane sales leads classes and i series tech school.

It's going to be a fruitful year, love learning new things. I think this sales versus technician is a bonus, was the enthusiasm I had no clue about while I was concentrating on simply learning the tech side.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #10
I'm Your Huckleberry

whole new world, sales.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #11
Hvac Pro

Sales is good but cutthroat if it is your only source of income. If you can sell and be a honest tech it is good. DO NOT be greasy or sell people stuff they don't need or you will eventually be on the news. They do hidden camera exposes a lot these days.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

Shortly after graduating from high school, I enlisted in the Navy. 27 years later I retired because I couldn't physically do it any longer due to various boo-boo's and being on the wrong side of the truck I was riding in when it ran over a poorly constructed/planted IED.

While I wanted to be a SEABEE, I allowed myself to be talked into becoming a Fire Controlman (gun type). I excelled at the electro-mechanical aspects and did more than better in the electronics area of the field.

After retiring, I started my own business as a general contractor doing home repairs and remodeling. The most workers I had employed were 14 (9 of which were women).

I sold that business to 6 of those ladies for a whopping $5 a few years ago and currently wander around the house trying to stay outta my wife's blast pattern. I still do a few repair or remove/replace jobs here and there when I get a call from some one, but mostly I read the daily paper and when done with the crossword puzzles and coffee I go fishing, fart around in the yard and stay out of my wife's eyesight...she's a Wushu master (or mistress).
Old 02-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #13

Craig,

It is too bad we live so far away from each other. After meeting you I can see us getting into all sort of trouble! Especially with you and I getting your brother-in-law in trouble with a pellet gun!
Old 02-28-2014, 10:58 PM   #14
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Sales is good but cutthroat if it is your only source of income. If you can sell and be a honest tech it is good. DO NOT be greasy or sell people stuff they don't need or you will eventually be on the news. They do hidden camera exposes a lot these days.
I never sell anything that is not needed and I sell a lot. You can take your car for service every 3000 miles, most home owners are unaware of preventative maintenance agreements where we come out Spring and Fall to check the system out or simply to have once annually system services so by the time I get there for a repair there's all sorts of cleanings and upgrades I PERFORM at a cost. We will refuse a repair if it's obvious the failure is not natural wear and tear, if it's obvious that if the repair required at time of failure without attention to all aspects of the system will in turn cause immediate failure. No can do. And those costs to the home owner to bring the system up to minimum efficiency can easily trump a few k.

Or they can simply purchase new simply and let their savings from their electrical bill pay for the new 16 seer and above system which btw comes with 10 year parts and labor warranty along with a 3 year in house pma to ensure our systems are performing immaculately and be done with it, for good.

$100 per lb or $35 if and ever needed?

As you can see Yuri, systems sell themselves. I educate and they decide. All decide to have work performed, many chose the path of least resistance, new systems.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:14 PM   #15
Hvac Pro

You do all right as you understand people and the biz and people can sense when someone is trying to just sell them a new system and really not wanting to do repairs. Be careful as there is big $$ to be made in sales and lots of guys have gone over to the dark side and eventually get caught. Especially with furnaces. You sell one to GrandMa and she does not tell you her son is a mechanical engineer and comes over and finds out there is nothing or not much wrong with it or you just scared her into a new system and B4 you can say Kaching you are on the local news as a rip off artist. Same can happen with ACs if the son works as a maintenance guy in a hospital or does refrigeration.

Advertisement

Last edited by yuri; 02-28-2014 at 11:16 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote