At The End Of My Rope With This Cat - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
Still Decompressing

Rewards Points: 221

At the end of my rope with this cat

Seems like we have always had a couple dogs and a cat over the years. We lost my wife's cat of 20 years back in Jan of '12. It didn't take long for the wife to start looking a the shelter for a rescue to bring home. She found a cute little crazy thing that she brought home. Must have been a street cat, because its been super hard to keep her indoors. She always comes back, but we want to keep here in for obvious reasons.

The cat has a BAD habit of #1 and #2 all over the house. We sold our house in FL in July of last year, and I KNOW that the smell made it hard to sell and cost us untold $ on the sale of that house.

Our new home in IL seems to be a continuation of the same problem. We do have dogs, but we have the house areas separated off so the whole basement and 50% of the main level are dog-free zones. So the cat has plenty of space to herself. We got automatic cat-boxes for upstairs and the basement, and she does use them regularly.

We are in the middle of a full remodel of our Kitchen and replacing all the flooring on the main level. Pulling the old carpet out the curb made it VERY clear how much damage this animal is doing to my house.

Its Just DRIVING ME INSANE knowing that this cat is likely to urinate all over $10,000 worth of new wood floors I am getting ready to install.

My wife is still undergoing treatment for ovarian cancer, so I don't want to do anything that would upset her. (or the cat might just dissapear!)/

I am at the end of my rope with this cat!! My only other option is to crate her, but that just seems cruel.

Any practical suggestions would be appreciated.

....guess I just needed to get this off my chest.

Advertisement

caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 580

Something simple to try is putting the food where it poops or pee's. Most animals will not go to the bathroom where it eats.
Altar your habits, let it out more often.
Put it in a cage when you gone.
Use an enzyme cleaner to clean up the mistakes.

Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
Still Decompressing

We have been trying to keep her indoors. There are Coyotes around here. If I that will help..... She WILL be spending more time outside.

We have used the enzyme cleaner in the past. Did not really notice an improvement. I may try another brand. There was a post on this earlier this week. Don't rember the brand, but I will hunt it down and give it another try.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I was a dog person until Spikezilla and Dillion Gufus von Dufus came to live with me. First thing I did was take them to the most prestigious vet in NYC a few blocks away. I didn't know he was special but marching 800 pounds of cats not sure they like NYC in a carrier off one arm makes you pick the closest. I promise. I wasn't sure I would like NYC either.

He first told me he could not treat Spike as a cat until I slimmed him down to 23 pounds and I explained Dillon was exhibiting urinary problems and even crying at times. He squeezed his tiny you not what and sand came out.

He explained that male cats especially cannot tolerate just dry food and water. You have to mix it up with wet food. And you must watch the ash content of cat food if you have males.

I walked away with the first of surprisingly few vet bills but a believer in Science Diet for a time. And nail trimmers made for cats. And I promise, they loved nail trimming sessions.

Dillon did stop peeing all over the place, and Spike slimmed down to 22.6 by the next visit. The vet also warned I would have to endure whining like I could not imagine but that it would stop.

As I remember the rule, ash content in cat food, especially for male cats, was supposed to be under 2 percent even in their wet food. Science Diet had it. You know what else I found at the pet warehouses that had it so low? Those bulk cat food cans of whatever at Pets Mart 80/$1.

Friskies and all? Horrible.

Last edited by user1007; 08-08-2013 at 07:49 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle View Post
We have been trying to keep her indoors. There are Coyotes around here. If I that will help..... She WILL be spending more time outside.

We have used the enzyme cleaner in the past. Did not really notice an improvement. I may try another brand. There was a post on this earlier this week. Don't rember the brand, but I will hunt it down and give it another try.
My post? Try Anti Icky Poo enzyme cleaners. Best so far for me.

Pet Stores sell fragrant crap like Nature's Miracle that attaches roses to cat turds.

If this cat will not use a litter box though? Not sure what you can do.

They don't like change you know.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,614

I assume you have a litter box? Our cats spend most of the time outside...but still come in to use the litter box.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

I hear ya! My female cat doesn't potty out of her box but she has belemia!! Ive tried 5 different types of dry cat food, hair ball treay ( had to force feed it to her picky eater) Taken her to the vet, de-wormed her (that wasn't it either) other than stepping in random cat vomit in the middle of the night, she's a sweetie.
mrs fix it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
Still Decompressing

Yup, it the "anti icky poo" that I am looking for at the local Petsmart. Thanks!!

And yes, we actually have two cat boxes. One upstairs, and one downstairs. They are both kept very clean. She actually does use the boxes most of the time. It just seems like a couple times/wk I find a little accident somewhere.

And we have been feeding here Iams dry. I will check the ash content.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle View Post
...And we have been feeding here Iams dry. I will check the ash content.
Iams is a good food.
When it comes to determining if a cat food has a high ash content, you can't take the info straight from the package, there is a formula. It's been too many years for me to remember it, but it has to do with comparing the labeled ash to moisture or water content. Ask your vet or you can probably find it online with a bit of research.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,342

Try a gluten-free diet for your cat for a month and see if it helps.

If you have time, make her food from your kitchen - chicken, tuna, etc., mixed with veggies. If you add gravy, make sure there's no flour in it.

Some animals can't handle gluten and their owners end up spending tons of money at the vet trying to figure out what's wrong.

Barb

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Veges are not a good idea for meat and fish eaters like cats even though they might chomp on grass once in awhile. Vegetable fillers in cat food can make them sick. They are not built to eat brussel sprouts, lettuce, and carrots or even oatmeal and granola. They are not omnivores like we are.

Science Diet, the varieties I got from the vet, was expensive but nothing compared to vet bills.

I would mention this situation to your vet to completely rule out some sort of intestinal or bladder disorder or infection.

Last edited by user1007; 08-10-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #12
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Sdsester, 80 cans for $1? That's a pretty good deal!
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

Get rid of the cat and tell the wife it never came home.Problem solved.
shakey0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shakey0818 For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (08-12-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

Hey Willy, at that price I might start eating tuna salad "ala cat"

Naaaaaaa, I'll just serve it at parties as canapés :-)
mrs fix it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Sdsester, 80 cans for $1? That's a pretty good deal!
Slight exaggeration but it was like $.20 or .25 a can or something and as I say the ash content was lower than for any of the grocery store brands. Packaging was not especially pretty but neither is Science Diet and others.

Advertisement