Doomsday Preppers On NatGeo TV - Off Topic - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #16
Stay-at-home GC
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 638
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo TV


Just watched "Take Shelter" on DVD last week. That's my kind of suspense. Two thumbs up.

Advertisement

__________________
Can correctly identify Shinola 3 out of 5 times*
*Under ideal conditions

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:18 AM   #17
Stuck in the 70's
 
Blondesense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: south central Missouri
Posts: 2,162
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo TV


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Anybody remember the cult classic movie, "A Boy and His Dog?"
A little bit before my time. Twice I tried to watch it in later years, cause I used to read a lot of Harlan Ellison, but never could get through it.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #18
Stay-at-home GC
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 638
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo TV


Lost a lot of respect for the show last week (not sure I had a lot for the Producers of the show in the first place).

The Prepper was canning his own meatloaf and a lot of other stuff. Looked really bad and he made the statement "You can eat a lot of things that have been canned for years".

The "Experts" never mentioned Botulism!?

Everybody have another helping!
__________________
Can correctly identify Shinola 3 out of 5 times*
*Under ideal conditions

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #19
Member
 
Ravenworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 598
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo TV


Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
But actually pulling the trigger on someone.....
I have no doubt that if faced with a "You or Them" situation that your fight for life instinct would prevail.
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #20
Learning Things Every Day
 
Jay 78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MI
Posts: 555
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo TV


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post

Speaking of these things, there was another more upbeat movie about a guy who moves his wife and unborn or newborn down into a 50s decorated shelter he stocked with food and all to last 30 years or whatever. Somehow the son surfaces to find the World did survive and there was no attack at all. He falls in love. Original stock in something his Dad bought is worth billions but his parents will not believe everything is alright so he builds them some sort of retro compound far out in the country as the movie ends. I cannot remember who was in it. It was cute and would make a family night film.
'Blast From the Past'. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0124298/
__________________
Under Construction
Jay 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay 78 For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (04-05-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 94
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo TV


I have been 'prepping' for a little while now. Here is my 'plan'. If society would truly break down to the point of me having to ditch the house and live on the land, many people would die from starvation and lack of fresh water, as a majority of people have no clue how to live off of the land you are given and a vast majority would be taken out by day 12. That is the reason I am not worried about people/zombies/scavengers coming out to the wooded area I have planned.. as most will rummage through cities, and try to find what they need in houses, occupied or not..I have a shelter in the woods about 20 miles from my house, near a river. Yes, the water is dirty, but we have a large supply of water purification tablets and water filters. Any water not collected from rain would come from the river. I also know how to purify water without the tablets for when they run out. As for food, 7 firearms and 2000 rounds of ammo will keep us fed for years. I go to the rifle range at least 3 times a week normally, and my wife comes out a couple times per summer, so she's what I would call.. 'sufficient' with a firearm :D I am very good at hunting/fishing/gathering, and know how to prepare almost any animal for supper. Also knowing what plants are good for human consumption helps a lot. I'm no eagle scout, but if you put me out in the woods with my alice pack (bug out bag) for a month with my family, we will come back alive. The only thing I know we wouldn't be able to handle is nuclear radiation, chemical warfare, and the like. My plan isn't fool proof, but just relying on everything I know and the skills I have, I think we are more prepared than a lot of people in the surrounding area, but definitely not on the level that the 'doomsday preppers' are.

I personally don't think the 'apocalypse' will happen as in the sense of the 2012 crap. I do think if something happens, it will be a food supply cut off, or electrical outages.. I watched a show once that explained how society would start to break down by day 3 of no running water. People would start to panic, and their (weak) survival mode would kick in.. It even showed the mass hysteria that would follow a cell tower outage or internet outage. It's sad to think that people would die after a few days if the shelves at the store were empty... How dependent have we become?

As for being in the moment and having to defend your family from someone.. I've been there. A couple years ago a guy broke into our house. When you're in the situation, protecting your family.. it's a lot easier to pull the trigger than you might think. I have no regrets about it one bit. He made a choice. Reap what you sow...
casper129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #22
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo TV


Quote:
Originally Posted by casper129 View Post
I have been 'prepping' for a little while now. Here is my 'plan'. If society would truly break down to the point of me having to ditch the house and live on the land, many people would die from starvation and lack of fresh water, as a majority of people have no clue how to live off of the land you are given and a vast majority would be taken out by day 12. That is the reason I am not worried about people/zombies/scavengers coming out to the wooded area I have planned.. as most will rummage through cities, and try to find what they need in houses, occupied or not..I have a shelter in the woods about 20 miles from my house, near a river. Yes, the water is dirty, but we have a large supply of water purification tablets and water filters. Any water not collected from rain would come from the river. I also know how to purify water without the tablets for when they run out. As for food, 7 firearms and 2000 rounds of ammo will keep us fed for years. I go to the rifle range at least 3 times a week normally, and my wife comes out a couple times per summer, so she's what I would call.. 'sufficient' with a firearm :D I am very good at hunting/fishing/gathering, and know how to prepare almost any animal for supper. Also knowing what plants are good for human consumption helps a lot. I'm no eagle scout, but if you put me out in the woods with my alice pack (bug out bag) for a month with my family, we will come back alive. The only thing I know we wouldn't be able to handle is nuclear radiation, chemical warfare, and the like. My plan isn't fool proof, but just relying on everything I know and the skills I have, I think we are more prepared than a lot of people in the surrounding area, but definitely not on the level that the 'doomsday preppers' are.

I personally don't think the 'apocalypse' will happen as in the sense of the 2012 crap. I do think if something happens, it will be a food supply cut off, or electrical outages.. I watched a show once that explained how society would start to break down by day 3 of no running water. People would start to panic, and their (weak) survival mode would kick in.. It even showed the mass hysteria that would follow a cell tower outage or internet outage. It's sad to think that people would die after a few days if the shelves at the store were empty... How dependent have we become?

As for being in the moment and having to defend your family from someone.. I've been there. A couple years ago a guy broke into our house. When you're in the situation, protecting your family.. it's a lot easier to pull the trigger than you might think. I have no regrets about it one bit. He made a choice. Reap what you sow...
Cutting to the chase, and just look around, it will be about water. If you have ever been survival trained you would know this.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 94
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo TV


^ Agreed. Once the tap stops running and the shelves go bare are the store.. what will a majority of people do for water? Drink contaminated stuff and get ill.. or dehydrate and die. I think a lot of people don't realize how much water they need per day...
casper129 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to casper129 For This Useful Post:
user1007 (04-09-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #24
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo TV


You can gun up, store huts full of beef or ex-wife non-believer jerky, hunt and fish for more. You can even eat dried fruit, chew on nuts for a time. With how much fresh water stored? You can last, a few days unless trained to feel more miserable than you ever have in your life. Trust me, your kids will not get into it and will be dead days before you.

So man and girl up with extreme armaments. And you idiots guard the borders of your local water supply. And pray someone more idiotic than you does not drop something in upstream or toxic across the pond from you. I would have amusing patience for some of you if you just thought it through. I live near a lake, with questionable water quality unfiltered but you all huddled around streams in Idaho or something best not march with empty water bottles toward our lake when your streams go bad.

Last edited by user1007; 04-09-2012 at 03:50 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 94
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo TV


So you have a lake.. with questionable water quality.. and nobody can drop anything toxic in it from across that pond either? Your lake can go back just as quick as my streams.. Since you seem to be so well trained in gathering water, please, enlighten us.
casper129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #26
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo TV


Quote:
Originally Posted by casper129 View Post
So you have a lake.. with questionable water quality.. and nobody can drop anything toxic in it from across that pond either? Your lake can go back just as quick as my streams.. Since you seem to be so well trained in gathering water, please, enlighten us.
Didn't say I could gather water better than you. Said I could live on what I had better. Guard your stream bubba. You all think, come the end, your guns are going to help. How stupid.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 94
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo TV


That doesn't even make sense.. Unless you have a never ending supply of water that you are guarding (well, stream, whatever it be, that could become contaminated) you would have to collect water. A bubbly stream over a sandy bottom can "clean" itself over 30 feet, so I would feel comfortable drinking boiled water from stream for as long as I could. There are more ways to collect water than just a stream.. And if all water sources become toxic, it's over for everyone anyway.. But if that doesn't happen, and water stays half ass decent.. yes, guns will help. How will guns not help? If after 2 months, I have no water, and you do.. guess who's comin to your place... I sure as hell ain't going to just sit around and pray to the sky god and hope for the best... I have an open mind, so I'd like to hear how weapons won't help me survive.
casper129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo TV


We will see have fast you all love your neighbours to the north, seeing as how we have more fresh water lakes then the rest of the world combined.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #29
I'm Your Huckleberry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,884
Rewards Points: 2,220
Default

Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo TV


Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
We will see have fast you all love your neighbours to the north, seeing as how we have more fresh water lakes then the rest of the world combined.

It would take the end of the world, that's for sure.

(you set yourself up for that one)
__________________
Thanks.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo TV


I was going to save you some, but now you're on your own
Attached Images
 

Advertisement

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts