Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Stuck in the 70's

Share |

Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo TV

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...sday-preppers/

Five years ago we moved to rural Missouri. The place we fell in love with was twenty miles from town, the last 1 1/2 down a private dirt road with a steep north facing hill sloped down to the house. When we bought it We knew we would have to buy a 4WD vehicle because of that hill.

We just didn't realize how soon.

Ten days after we moved in, with the garage still full of boxes, the mother of all ice storms hit. We were without power for 12 days, couldn't get my front wheel drive wagon up the hill for the first four or five, but before that had to take chainsaws and cut our way through all the downed trees on our road. If it wasn't for a fireplace and wonderful new neighbors who were generous with their firewood, I don't know what we would have done (We are the last two houses at the end of the road).

Ever since that time we have kept water, canned goods, and staples on hand to last us at least a couple of weeks.

This show has got us thinking again. I cleaned out six feet of closet space in the guest room (hey, it needed to be cleaned out anyway) and pulled in some shelves from the garage. I figure as I come across canned goods and other stuff on sale, I'll add it to the closet.

We're not willing (or able!) to spend the tens (or hundreds!!!) of thousands of dollars that some of those people have spent, but a few extra groceries couldn't hurt.

Other than that, we have at least a years worth of firewood to go with the fireplace insert, although that's not "prepping", that's just making sure the firewood is properly seasoned. There is also a creek on our property as a last resort for water.
Home protection? DH is retired military officer and an ex-cop. 'Nuff said?

I'm just curious, since this is a DIY - handle-it-yourself type group if anyone else is watching or "prepping" in any way.

Last edited by Blondesense; 03-12-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

What you are doing, not extreme.
What they are doing on the tube, to me way ,way,way, extreme.Teaching you're 4 year old child to kill another human? Come on.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
What they are doing on the tube, to me way ,way,way, extreme.Teaching you're 4 year old child to kill another human? Come on.
Sorry, But I've neither the energy nor the inclination to read through such drivel.

Nothing wrong with being prepared for normal disasters like the ice storm though. Especially in rural areas. Guess I should buy some batteries eh
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #4

I've been building up a little supply of "real-life insurance" or, as our grandparents would have called it, 'stocking up' too Blondesense. I started about a year ago.

Some non-food things too, that we would need if all of the utilities (electric, city water, natural gas for heating and cooking) should become unavailable. I sure wish we had a wood stove or a fireplace.

Some things are stored in mylar with O2 absorbers - for long term storage, wheat, sugar, rice, powdered milk, pasta etc.

What I lack is stored water and guns and ammo. The water I don't worry about a lot because we're only about a mile or so from a big river and I have a Berkey water filter (which, unfortunately does the job VERY slowly) and a backpack-type water purifier that's portable - mostly for camping.

As far as guns and ammo, I doubt I'll be able to do much about that as I'm pretty sure that my daycare insurance would not cover me if I were to keep a gun in the house.

survivalistboards.com is a good forum about prepping that has a lot of helpful information. There are a few tinfoil hatters there, but it's mostly regular people with families to protect.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Stuck in the 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
What they are doing on the tube, to me way ,way,way, extreme. Teaching you're 4 year old child to kill another human? Come on.

Yeah, some of those people are way too over the top for me, and others are just plain scary. There is a difference between preparing and obsession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
survivalistboards.com is a good forum about prepping that has a lot of helpful information. There are a few tinfoil hatters there, but it's mostly regular people with families to protect.
Thanks, I'll check it out. One thing I have been thinking about is to start a file (my computer desk is a plank across two file cabinets) and every time I come across some "how-to" on the internet that might come in handy if the lights go out, print it out and file it. More cheap insurance.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #6

Good idea! I've started doing that too. It would be a shame to have all of that info on the computer and lose it or not be able to access it.

I make a printout of everything and put it in binders. Mine still need to be organized by subject though.

Look in the 'stickys' section at the top of each forum. There's tons of info on just about anything you want to know... and some that you didn't know you want to know .

Old 03-13-2012, 03:42 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

[quote=gma2rjc;876320]I've been building up a little supply of "real-life insurance" or, as our grandparents would have called it, 'stocking up' too Blondesense. I started about a year ago.

Some non-food things too, that we would need if all of the utilities (electric, city water, natural gas for heating and cooking) should become unavailable. I sure wish we had a wood stove or a fireplace.

Some things are stored in mylar with O2 absorbers - for long term storage, wheat, sugar, rice, powdered milk, pasta etc.

What I lack is stored water and guns and ammo. The water I don't worry about a lot because we're only about a mile or so from a big river and I have a Berkey water filter (which, unfortunately does the job VERY slowly) and a backpack-type water purifier that's portable - mostly for camping.

As far as guns and ammo, I doubt I'll be able to do much about that as I'm pretty sure that my daycare insurance would not cover me if I were to keep a gun in the house.

survivalistboards.com is a good forum about prepping that has a lot of helpful information. There are a few tinfoil hatters there, but it's mostly regular people with families to protect.[/quote]

THINK they need to protect, there is a difference.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #8
Stay-at-home GC

My biggest complaint regarding the show is how the producers tear down everyone's "Fan Spraying Excrement Scenario".

OK, so there's only a .03% chance of the Earth being struck be an asteroid and there's only a 1% chance of the Yellowstone Super Volcano erupting but what is the chance that something is going to happen. Much higher than .03% would be my guess.

I think I read somewhere (Popular Science maybe) that if a thing can happen then there is a 100% chance that it will eventually happen. The mathematical equivalent of 10,000 monkeys typing on 10,000 typewriters, one of them will eventually write Shakespeare.

As to hoarding food, land and other resources I have to quote Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, your Senior Drill Instructor

Quote:
"Your rifle is only a tool. It is a hard heart that kills. If your killer instincts are not clean and strong you will hesitate at the moment of truth. You will not kill."
I don't think anyone can truthfully answer that question of "them or me" until the very moment of truth.

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #9

(Quote)I don't think anyone can truthfully answer that question of "them or me" until the very moment of truth.(Unquote)

Yeah, I think that about, says it!

"RF"
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
Stuck in the 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by CplDevilDog View Post
My biggest complaint regarding the show is how the producers tear down everyone's "Fan Spraying Excrement Scenario".

OK, so there's only a .03% chance of the Earth being struck be an asteroid and there's only a 1% chance of the Yellowstone Super Volcano erupting but what is the chance that something is going to happen. Much higher than .03% would be my guess.

I think I read somewhere (Popular Science maybe) that if a thing can happen then there is a 100% chance that it will eventually happen. The mathematical equivalent of 10,000 monkeys typing on 10,000 typewriters, one of them will eventually write Shakespeare.
I agree. I don't know specifically exactly what it is DH and I are protecting against. There are a lot of scary things happening out there.

If I had to narrow it down to one major fear it would be how incredibly dependent we are on the computers around us. I do feel our world is so delicately balanced on technology that whatever takes it out would leave us all in a world of hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CplDevilDog View Post
I don't think anyone can truthfully answer that question of "them or me" until the very moment of truth.
Too true. I know how to load and handle DH's weapons, and I practice. But actually pulling the trigger on someone.....

Last edited by Blondesense; 03-13-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #11
Coconut Pete's paella!

I haven't seen the show, but it sounds like version 2 of "Apocalypse, PA" - did anyone ever catch that?
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

My Dad's job at one point when I was a kid was to go around and convince rancher's to put missile silos on their property. The Cuban missile crisis was very real when I was in like the 3rd or 4th grade and we did duck and cover everyday. Talk about paranoia for nothing? We lived in Cheyenne and not far from this countries greatest concentration of nukes. We were at ground zero and hiding my posterior was not going to make a difference. Or so my parent told me. Cheap people wouldn't get us a bomb shelter like everybody else I knew had either citing the same logic.

It is a good idea to have at least a small store of food stuffs that will not require cooking and most important some gallon bottles of water. Good old military and NASA type food pouches and juice boxes pumped up with preservatives might be handy. Don't forget to rotate your stores and look out for expiration dates. It would be painfully ironic if you died of bocholism or some other food born bacteria while fighting off bullet resistant little green men.

Long burning candles, batteries, low draw LED flashlights, a crank type weather and AM/FM radio seem wise. Plenty of blankets. Those hand warmers that activate when you break their innards might be nice. I have found space bags handy for storing things like blankets but must admit they don't seem to hold up as advertised to opening and closing many times.

I am not going to enter the gun argument again.

I do have some degree of respect for those who have adapted to living closer to the land but zilch patience for the socio or psychopaths who plan to, or already have, removed themselves from society. We are just not wired to live that way.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #13

One of the Doomsday Preppers episodes (I think it was that show) had a segment about a man who is turning one of those missile silo's into condo's. If something were to happen, there is enough food, water, etc. for all of them to live comfortably for, I believe they said, 6 months to a year.

I just wonder how long people could keep their sanity living underground for an extended period of time. I suppose some would handle it just fine, while others wouldn't.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #14
Stuck in the 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
One of the Doomsday Preppers episodes (I think it was that show) had a segment about a man who is turning one of those missile silo's into condo's. If something were to happen, there is enough food, water, etc. for all of them to live comfortably for, I believe they said, 6 months to a year.
I saw that episode too!

Yeah, I want to be locked underground with a bunch of people who have the attitude they can buy their way out of any situation.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
I saw that episode too!

Yeah, I want to be locked underground with a bunch of people who have the attitude they can buy their way out of any situation.
Anybody remember the cult classic movie, "A Boy and His Dog?" The tag line was something along the lines of "In this post nuclear disaster you want a dog that can find you bullets and girls?" Their is an entire culture down below ground just as you describe. Movie is no doubt R rated and not for little kids.

What would scare me more are total anti-government people with me underground thinking nobody has to take charge and no central governance will be needed to look to the needs of the community. Everybody will play nice, especially as rations and medical supplies grow thin and some woman starts showing only chick flicks on movie nights. And what to do with the person or two that go nuts because they never new before they were claustrophobic. Shoot em I guess. Cannot bury them though. Could get stinky.

Speaking of these things, there was another more upbeat movie about a guy who moves his wife and unborn or newborn down into a 50s decorated shelter he stocked with food and all to last 30 years or whatever. Somehow the son surfaces to find the World did survive and there was no attack at all. He falls in love. Original stock in something his Dad bought is worth billions but his parents will not believe everything is alright so he builds them some sort of retro compound far out in the country as the movie ends. I cannot remember who was in it. It was cute and would make a family night film.

At the end of the day, and if it comes to nukes again. Radiation is going to be around for a long, long time. Just look at Three Mile Island or Chernobyl (and probably Japan if data is reported honestly). Being equipped to survive 6mos to a year is going to buy you about 6mos to a year more than others and that is it. Same with an asteroid and it will get cold down in that silo when the sun ain't not shining nowhere above you.

Last edited by user1007; 03-14-2012 at 01:50 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote