Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
Gas Safe Registered

Share |
Doing it yourself is fine but there is always a limit to everyones knowledge.

A call came through to The New Boiler Company, it was a customer in hull in some considerable distress, she explained that there was a serious leak from the central heating system in her house and it was leaking through the ceiling into the hallway. We advised her to turn the water to the property off and we would send an engineer within an hour to help. An engineer was released to the house and this is his report.

On attending the house I walked in and found the entire ceiling in pieces on the floor, there was water all over the place, in the hallway, kitchen and lounge. a bucket was on the floor catching drips from a leak above. When I looked up I could see into the bedroom above, it was then that the customer told me "my husband stared to lay a laminate floor this morning, he started at 10am, it was only going to take an hour or so, he laid the flooring, all that went ok, then he started to put the skirting board on, he wanted to put a piece of skirting board behind the radiator. He said he'd lift the radiator off and all I had to do was pop a piece of pre- cut wood behind the radiator. I done this and as he went to replace the radiator it slipped and landed on the floor. He pulled it back up saying it would be ok and then went on to fix the skirting board. He said thats it, complete. A minute or too later when we were tidying up our daughter shouted that there was water coming from the light downstairs so he went down to look and then he realised what had happened and come to terms with having to take the laminate back up. He went back upstairs, started to take the floor up and it was then that the ceiling downstairs gave way. Water went everywhere. So he went from carefully taking the floor up to ripping floor up to expose the leak. As he was taking the floor boards up the leak subsided. He found the problem, when he dropped the radiator, the pipe had fractured on the central heating system, but by this time the house looked like a bomb had hit it. The leak stopped so he decided to go to the local merchant to get some stuff for the leak and a few more lengthes of laminate floor. When he came back he used this putty and some leak sealer to repair the fractured pipe, replaced the floor boards and relayed the laminate. then he came downstairs and cut away the plaster board that was damaged. I told him to have a drink as the time was starting to get on so we had a break for a while. It was then that the water started to leak again and it was at this time that I called an engineer and took it out of hands of my husband. I turned the water off and the leak stopped and he went upstairs to take up the 2nd lot of laminate floor to wait for the engineer to call"

The engineer reported that just after the customer laid his 2nd floor the ballcock in the loft which was at first stuck, freed itself and started to refill the central heating system, turning the water off was the best course of action.

The repair took 20 minutes to complete and the customer was grateful of a speedy response. I loaded my van back up and left the property after submitting an invoice. The office are aware of the recall to the property to repair an additional leak that the customer had caused, from screwing a screw into the main central heating flow. the 2nd invoice for the job was submitted.

what would you say the moral of the story is? DIY can be fun, rewarding and cheap if you know what your doing but in this case when the customer paid 43 to the local merchant, for material to repair the leak with he should have realised that using a professional would have saved him in this case a total of 350 which breaks down to extra laminate floor, leak sealer, epoxy putty, plaster board, plaster, and a nice bunch of flowers for the wife.

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 10-23-2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: removed link
New Boiler Co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
DIY staff

Funny story----
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

Wow sounds like a disaster. Talk about being in hot water. LOL
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
Coconut Pete's paella!

He is lucky his wife's temper didn't "boil over" sooner
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boiler repairs, diy advice, diy questions, emergency plumber, emergency plumbing