Do I Need Certification To Install Residential Appliances I.E. Dishwasher/Wall Oven - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Chatroom Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes

Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12
Question

Do I need certification to install residential appliances I.E. Dishwasher/Wall oven

Hey guys,
The internet sucks for trying to find actual answers for anything. So I'm trying here.

I've been installing household appliances for about a year and a half so far with no issues. However, I'm in the process of registering a legitimate business for it.
My question to you guys is do I need to be certified to install said appliances and if so where can I go to get certified.
If not that's great and I'll continue what I do.

Advertisement

michaelcyr1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 13,712

Re: Do I need certification to install residential appliances I.E. Dishwasher/Wall ov

How would anyone know? There's no location in your profile.
Messing with gas lines, electrical can leave you wide open to be sued if your doing this as a business and something happens.
michaelcyr1989 likes this.

Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 11:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,134

Re: Do I need certification to install residential appliances I.E. Dishwasher/Wall ov

^^^ what he said ^^^

As long as there is no actual electrical/gas/water lines to be run you would be fine here in Canada as far as I know. The delivery guys from the Appliance shops install stuff all the time.

Old Today, 04:34 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 7,328

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelcyr1989 View Post
Hey guys,
The internet sucks for trying to find actual answers for anything. So I'm trying here.

I've been installing household appliances for about a year and a half so far with no issues. However, I'm in the process of registering a legitimate business for it.
My question to you guys is do I need to be certified to install said appliances and if so where can I go to get certified.
If not that's great and I'll continue what I do.
That is something you need to ask your local code enforcement agency.
Old Today, 07:04 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 260

What you might find is that requirements will differ from town to town. I bought a dishwasher from a retail store in my town and was told that I was required by State (MA) law to have it installed in my home by a licensed plumber. I asked the same question of the building inspector in a neighboring town and was told that both a licensed plumber and licensed electrician would be required to do a residential dishwasher installation and both would have to pull permits. These were the rules for just replacing an existing dishwasher!!!!
JIMMIEM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:27 AM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,820

Well.... That just doubled the price of a DW,

Is that actually enforced or obeyed in practice...????
Old Today, 07:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Well.... That just doubled the price of a DW,

Is that actually enforced or obeyed in practice...????
The sales person told me I would need a plumber and asked me the plumber's name. I came up with a name real quick. That was kind of a wink wink situation....sales person doing due diligence. In my face to face with the inspector I asked if I could get the permits. I was told that because I was the homeowner I could not pull the permits....the plumber and electrician would have to do the permit pulling. I said that the time charged for permit pulling and appliance installation would cost more than the dishwasher itself. Inspector just smiled. I went to the town web site and saw how much $ the town makes from permits. Inspector told me that I could not even change a faucet washer to stop a drip. Depending on the locale and inspector enforcement might happen if the building dept knew what was happening. One inspector told me that they sometimes find out when a neighbor drops a dime.
Old Today, 08:54 AM   #8

im in ottawa canada
Old Today, 09:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMMIEM View Post
The sales person told me I would need a plumber and asked me the plumber's name. I came up with a name real quick. That was kind of a wink wink situation....sales person doing due diligence. In my face to face with the inspector I asked if I could get the permits. I was told that because I was the homeowner I could not pull the permits....the plumber and electrician would have to do the permit pulling. I said that the time charged for permit pulling and appliance installation would cost more than the dishwasher itself. Inspector just smiled. I went to the town web site and saw how much $ the town makes from permits. Inspector told me that I could not even change a faucet washer to stop a drip. Depending on the locale and inspector enforcement might happen if the building dept knew what was happening. One inspector told me that they sometimes find out when a neighbor drops a dime.
thats complete bs!
Old Today, 09:47 AM   #10

Quote:
thats complete bs!
Which part(s)?
Old Today, 03:51 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
thats complete bs!
Perhaps you should check with your local code enforcement/building department. Before you find you are liable for all sorts of upgrades on teh work you have already done.

Since this is a DIY site. What you need to conduct your business legally, is not something often discussed on this site.
Old Today, 03:52 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Moved to Off Topic forum.
Old Today, 04:21 PM   #13
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Jimem.... Gotta ask... where are you.

(When my daughter was in Tiburon Cali, when a person sells their home the town has passed a law mandated a building department inspection of the property. First they will write up any non-permitted work, and they can even go beyond that and write up any "dangerous" (BI discretion) and require that work to be permitted/done/inspcted within 60 days.

In practice, that often becomes a negotiating point between the seller/buyer.

I thought that was onerous... but your jurisdiction is assinine. I'm surprized your areas tolerance for the building department.

In Arvada Co, the city attempted a similar type program.... and there was so much public uproar, they backed down.
Old Today, 05:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Jimem.... Gotta ask... where are you.

(When my daughter was in Tiburon Cali, when a person sells their home the town has passed a law mandated a building department inspection of the property. First they will write up any non-permitted work, and they can even go beyond that and write up any "dangerous" (BI discretion) and require that work to be permitted/done/inspcted within 60 days.

In practice, that often becomes a negotiating point between the seller/buyer.

I thought that was onerous... but your jurisdiction is assinine. I'm surprized your areas tolerance for the building department.

In Arvada Co, the city attempted a similar type program.... and there was so much public uproar, they backed down.
I kinda like what they do in your daughter's town.....protects unsuspecting or unknowledgeable buyers. I'm in Massachusetts.....just south of Boston. I got into doing some handyman work and before doing so I checked the State laws regarding what I was allowed and not allowed to do. I also check a town's codes to make sure anything I do is code compliant....I would never want to leave the homeowner with a non-code-compliant situation. Most of the inspectors I have talked to are willing to provide info. I'm not sure if it's a regional thing. I just heard a news story about a town not too far from here where they are trying to pass a law restricting leave blower decibel levels between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The landscapers are banding together in attempt to stop the law from being passed.
Also, regarding the town that requires both electrical and plumbing permits for the dishwasher replacement, I asked the inspector what type of maintenance a homeowner can perform. He told me the list of what a home owner can legally do is extremely short. Job security for the inspectors and permit revenue for the town.
Old Today, 05:20 PM   #15
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
[B]I kinda like what they do in your daughter's town.....protects unsuspecting or unknowledgeable buyers.[/B]

I am certain that that is neither the intent nor the result.

I'm in Massachusetts.....just south of Boston. I got into doing some handyman work and before doing so I checked the State laws regarding what I was allowed and not allowed to do. I also check a town's codes to make sure anything I do is code compliant....I would never want to leave the homeowner with a non-code-compliant situation. Most of the inspectors I have talked to are willing to provide info. I'm not sure if it's a regional thing. I just heard a news story about a town not too far from here where they are trying to pass a law restricting leave blower decibel levels between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The landscapers are banding together in attempt to stop the law from being passed.
Also, regarding the town that requires both electrical and plumbing permits for the dishwasher replacement, I asked the inspector what type of maintenance a homeowner can perform. He told me the list of what a home owner can legally do is extremely short. Job security for the inspectors and permit revenue for the town.
Ya know, at least in Tiburon, it was solely a revenue/tax generation issue. The late permit fee was 150%. Actually they were most reasonable, of course my daughter was the buyer and not the party that did it.

They gave me no problem in fixing (I'm not lisenced in Cali and not on the deed) and the AHJ and I became good friends.) On his final inspection, he came out himself, and did not even go over the list or look closely at anything... he trusted that I did it correctly.... and because of some future planned remodeling down the road, he made allowance such that we did not have to replace a wall of non-tempered set glass and let me build a temp nice guardrail untill we replaced with sliding doors.

But I still find it invasive ....

Advertisement

Tags
appliances , certification , installation