DIY Lead Poisoning - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
Environmental Health

Rewards Points: 25

DIY Lead Poisoning

Quick Overview

Starting in late April, contractors will need to be certified to work in homes that were built before 1978.

The purpose of this law is to train them on how not to cause lead poisoning in the homeowners. Many homes built before 1978 used lead based paint. When a contractor drills, cuts, removes, sands, scrapes or demos a painted surface, they can create dust.

This dust contains lead particles and if swallowed or breathed in by the homeowner ... can cause lead poisoning. Lead poisoning can cause permanent damage.

They are serious about this new law. A contractor can get fined $30,000+ a day, if they are not certified.

While contractors are being trained to protect their homeowners ... no one is talking to the DIYer.

Question To DIYers

Is this something that you would be interested in?

Is it something that you yourself, as a DIYer, would like to know about and how to take precautions?

Do you wish you would have known sooner about this?

Just trying to get a feel about how DIYers feel about this subject.

Advertisement

Dean CRCNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

DIY Lead Poisoning

- Don't sand dry - preferably don't sand or scrape at all
- coveralls - cover hair - Don't wear work clothes into 'clean' areas
- Wash hands and face after working
- Dust protection - mask

Was more cavalier about this before I met a contractor who had suffered a stroke due to lead poisoning. I will also get a lead level checked before I plan on getting pregnant.

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #3

DIY Lead Poisoning

EPA's laws tend to point to contractors and not DIYers, although the EPA does have some informative sites online to educate people.

Asbestos, for instance, has to be professionally remediated by a professional in accordance with the EPA's rules if it is to be disturbed by a contractor. The EPA does not require DIYers to have professionals deal with asbestos...Believe it or not.

I haven't read through all the lead paint rules that are coming about, but I presume the same applies.

I've received over a dozen phonecalls from scared professional painters wanting to know if I (a building official) would be enforcing the EPA lead paint regs. Nope. Not mine to enforce.

Safe to say that the price to prep and paint a house (professionally) is going to increase SIGNIFICANTLY.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

DIY Lead Poisoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post

Asbestos, for instance, has to be professionally remediated by a professional in accordance with the EPA's rules if it is to be disturbed by a contractor. The EPA does not require DIYers to have professionals deal with asbestos...Believe it or not.
The EPA does not but many localities do. Improper disposal of asbestos by professionals or DIYer's will result in jail time and fines if you are caught.

As to the original post about lead this thread should be shut down as this is just preliminary marketing. Their is information available for free from the epa at www.epa.gov with regards to lead paint.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:29 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,214

DIY Lead Poisoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
EPA's laws tend to point to contractors and not DIYers, although the EPA does have some informative sites online to educate people.

I haven't read through all the lead paint rules that are coming about, but I presume the same applies.

I've received over a dozen phonecalls from scared professional painters wanting to know if I (a building official) would be enforcing the EPA lead paint regs. Nope. Not mine to enforce.

Safe to say that the price to prep and paint a house (professionally) is going to increase SIGNIFICANTLY
You can say that again. With the economy the way it is, it is going to force innumerable legitimate contractors out of business, myself included. It will be just too expensive for me to abide by all these laws and to stay in business
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #6

DIY Lead Poisoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARI001 View Post
As to the original post about lead this thread should be shut down as this is just preliminary marketing.
Could be, and I'm watching it. It is on a short leash. Could just be that the OP is knowledgeable and eager to help.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #7

DIY Lead Poisoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
You can say that again. With the economy the way it is, it is going to force innumerable legitimate contractors out of business, myself included. It will be just too expensive for me to abide by all these laws and to stay in business
I hear that all the time and in this case I definitely agree. Sad fact is that legit contractors that follow the rules will be run out of town on a rail because in a competitive bid situation, they'll cost significantly more if they're following EPA rules. There's always going to be a crew that doesn't follow the rules and will be 30% cheaper, and your average homeowner isn't all that worried about lead paint on the outside of their house.

Same goes for OSHA. I watched a number of residential foundation companies get $10,000+++ fines from OSHA a few years ago when they started actively (and sneakily) enforcing their ridiculous rules such as the ones requiring the foundation crews to erect a tie-off fall prevention system above their forms.

Some of these rules get in the way of productivity and normal common sense that simply must exist in construction.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #8

DIY Lead Poisoning

What happens if the old trim is removed & disposed of ?
I would assume that proper disposal is required if it contains lead ?
Every house around here that I see renovated they strip all the old trim off the outside
My house had (almost) all the trim removed when they did vinyl siding years ago
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,292

DIY Lead Poisoning

As a flooring installer, it won't affect us much, except wood floor refinishers. Some of the old hardwood finishes contained lead.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:02 AM   #10
Environmental Health

DIY Lead Poisoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
What happens if the old trim is removed & disposed of ?
I would assume that proper disposal is required if it contains lead ?
Every house around here that I see renovated they strip all the old trim off the outside
My house had (almost) all the trim removed when they did vinyl siding years ago
A DIYer can dispose of normally. The big problem is the dust created during removal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean CRCNA For This Useful Post:
Scuba_Dave (03-21-2010)
Old 03-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #11
Environmental Health

DIY Lead Poisoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
As a flooring installer, it won't affect us much, except wood floor refinishers. Some of the old hardwood finishes contained lead.
The time it would affect you (pro), is

1. If you removed baseboards/quarter round
2. Remove old hardwood flooring

Advertisement