"DIY" - Cooking/baking - Story - Off Topic - Page 70 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #1036
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lookout Valley, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 7,844
Rewards Points: 2,790
Blog Entries: 1
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
Hi Barb,
I hope you enjoyed dinner and the summer.

You can already feel the shift in the weather. Last night went down to 12 degrees .
Kids go back to school in a few more weeks
Good gravy, 12 degrees, hopefully that is C instead of F. I stay cold if the temps are under 72 degrees F.

Barb I forgot to say what we have been up to this Summer. We started out replacing the roof on our camper and finally did get it done but the inside of the camper is a mess. We plan to get back on the inside after we finish our bathroom remake. We just finished installing a 1/2 bath with the help of our grandson Wes, I would have been sunk without him helping. Wes is 14 but smart as the dickens and strong, he stands about an inch taller than me.

It took us about 5 1/2 weeks to put in the half bath, you can only imagine how long it is going to take to redo our main bath. This getting old is not for wimps. I have been wearing Mike and Rossi out asking questions. I can't remember how to do a lot of things.

I also got really interested in the old hand planes but have been for a while now. I never had time to learn about them back when I was in business, I was too busy making a living to learn about them. I got to tell you it is an all out pleasure to use the old planes once they are tuned up and sharp.

Keith Matthewson who is a member of the forum here and who is one of the best all out stair geniuses I have ever known, sent me three hand planes that he had left over from when he was teaching classes in woodworking. Keith wouldn't even let me pay him back the postage.

OK I am rambling on here, soon as I get some more batteries for the camera, I will post some pictures of the stuff going on. By the way, where is Rossi, I know he is busy, hope he is OK.

Oh, I will post Judy's recipe of the Zucchini here soon. Mike I love the spell checker also.

Advertisement

__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (08-18-2012), oh'mike (08-18-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 12:20 AM   #1037
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Three notes walk into a bar; a C, an E-flat, and a G.
The bartender says he doesn't serve minors. So the E-flat leaves and the C and the G have a fifth between them
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
BigJim (08-18-2012), gma2rjc (08-18-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 12:45 AM   #1038
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,403
Rewards Points: 2,342
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Wow, it sounds like you've been busy Jim. I bet that half bath looks great.

I think it's so cool that your grandson is helping you. It's more like you're helping each other as you're teaching him things he'll never learn in school and he'll use those skills some day in his own home.

Did you use the plain on any of the woodwork in your bathroom or the camper?

I'm going to TRY to post a few pics of a different kind of zucchini that I planted this year. It's called zucchetta, or sometimes zucchetto. Ha! spellcheck doesn't like the way I spelled those two words.

ETA: No, it won't let me upload the pics. I'll try to figure out a way to get them.
__________________


Last edited by gma2rjc; 08-18-2012 at 12:50 AM.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #1039
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Anybody ever try zucchini loaf?

I used to finely chop up zucchini and throw it in pasta sauce for extra nutrition. Nobody ever spotted it

How come everybodys going on about spell check..There is no option for that

Pics too big Barb?
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #1040
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lookout Valley, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 7,844
Rewards Points: 2,790
Blog Entries: 1
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Barb, I did use one of the planes on the bath in a couple of places. It is great to use a tool that is really sharp and tuned up. I never knew it could be such fun to use a tool.

Wes is like a sponge, he really catches on to things really quick. I showed him a lot out in the shop already. I wish I was still working so I could show him how to build stairs, build houses and do trim work.

If I can find some batteries I will post a picture of the 1/2 bath. It isn't anything special but it is functional. We had to do the bath so we can redo our main bath or we are going to fall through the floor, for real. That water coming through the roof all these years has really messed up a lot of things. The bad part is the water was coming in down the inside the walls so we didn't know it. The last dummy that worked on the house left a hole in the roof about 3 inches round. Of all things there was no boot, just tar so no way to stop water from coming in.

Barb if you want to send me the pictures I will resize them and post them for you. I would like to see the new Zucchini. Next year if I am able I am going to put in a small garden and we will have some zucchini, tomatoes, herbs, onions and peppers. That is really neat that you had a garden this year. We did plant one tomato plant in a bucket but the tomatoes were few and small. As high as food is, I think more folks will start a garden. I need to shut up, I just wrote a book here.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #1041
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lookout Valley, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 7,844
Rewards Points: 2,790
Blog Entries: 1
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
Anybody ever try zucchini loaf?

I used to finely chop up zucchini and throw it in pasta sauce for extra nutrition. Nobody ever spotted it

How come everybodys going on about spell check..There is no option for that

Pics too big Barb?
Do you have a recipe for the loaf, I bet it is good. We will give it a try in some pasta, that Zucchini is some good stuff. Jan, you can download a spellchecker if you like. If I didn't have Judy and a spell checker no one could read what I try to write.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #1042
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Sorry about your house troubles Jim and Judy

My veg patch has been a little neglected this year...too many unpicked beans and lots of weeds allowed to get out of control. So I didn't realize that when the little girl down the st. was rooting around in there looking for a snack she would pick a handful of carrots, find them too small, then discard the whole handful right on top of other stuff, then grab another handful, still too young and small, discard..pick..discard..pick discard..pick ..down the row she went...grrr.. Oh well at least she left the parsnips alone

I agree Zucchini is good.

I like it lightly sauteed in a pan ( don't let it get mushy..cook it just long enough that its warmed, only a minute or two)
Sprinkle a little rosemary while its heating



Zucchini Bread
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 2 cups grated zucchini
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F ( 165 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8x4 inch loaf pans.
  2. In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and frothy. Mix in oil and sugar. Stir in zucchini and vanilla. Combine flour, cinnamon, soda, baking powder, salt and nuts; stir into the egg mixture. Divide batter into prepared pans.
  3. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until done.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #1043
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Western suburbs, Chicago, Il.
Posts: 2,688
Rewards Points: 2,054
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Hi!
I'm around, once in a while -
got my hands full!
We're in remodeling mode: this - that ... everything!
(The fun never stops!!)
Now - we're in "concrete mode" - Oh Boy!!
Hi - Jim!
Hi - Jan!
Hi - Barb! (Hope you had a good "road trip"!)
Hi - --M--!

rossfingal

(Still in ongoing computer "Hello"!)
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #1044
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lookout Valley, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 7,844
Rewards Points: 2,790
Blog Entries: 1
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
Sorry about your house troubles Jim and Judy

My veg patch has been a little neglected this year...too many unpicked beans and lots of weeds allowed to get out of control. So I didn't realize that when the little girl down the st. was rooting around in there looking for a snack she would pick a handful of carrots, find them too small, then discard the whole handful right on top of other stuff, then grab another handful, still too young and small, discard..pick..discard..pick discard..pick ..down the row she went...grrr.. Oh well at least she left the parsnips alone

I agree Zucchini is good.

I like it lightly sauteed in a pan ( don't let it get mushy..cook it just long enough that its warmed, only a minute or two)
Sprinkle a little rosemary while its heating



Zucchini Bread
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 2 cups grated zucchini
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F ( 165 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8x4 inch loaf pans.
  2. In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and frothy. Mix in oil and sugar. Stir in zucchini and vanilla. Combine flour, cinnamon, soda, baking powder, salt and nuts; stir into the egg mixture. Divide batter into prepared pans.
  3. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until done.
Thanks Jan, this sounds wonderful, we will give this a try soon as we can get some more zucchini, that stuff is $1 each and that is for a small one around here. I got it printed out now, we do appreciate it.I found Judy's recipe for zucchini here it is.



MA MARSHALL'S BAKED ZUCCHINI


Wash 3-6 medium to large zucchini and dry each thoroughly. Cut the zucchini length-wise and then cut the lengths in halves. In a large casserole dish, line the bottom with the cut zucchini and drizzle 3-4 tablespoons virgin olive oil over the pieces. Melt a half stick of butter and also drizzle the butter over the zucchini. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.


I also use Montreal Steak seasoning by McCormick. Sprinkle generously over all the zucchini. I also sprinkle a generous amount of Weber's Roasted Herb and Garlic seasoning over the zucchini. A sprinkle of a small amount of onion powder gives the dish just a little extra flavor also.


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender when pricked with a fork. If the broiler is turned on for the last 3-5 minutes, the zucchini should turn a golden brown. DO NOT OVERCOOK or the zucchini will turn to mush.


This dish can be served alone or with rice pilaf, or as a side dish with just about any meal. Enjoy!

Man, I am one hungry ole man right now got to go see what Judy is cookin tonight.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #1045
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lookout Valley, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 7,844
Rewards Points: 2,790
Blog Entries: 1
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfingal View Post
Hi!
I'm around, once in a while -
got my hands full!
We're in remodeling mode: this - that ... everything!
(The fun never stops!!)
Now - we're in "concrete mode" - Oh Boy!!
Hi - Jim!
Hi - Jan!
Hi - Barb! (Hope you had a good "road trip"!)
Hi - --M--!

rossfingal

(Still in ongoing computer "Hello"!)
Hey buddy, it is good to see your smiling face again, it is good that you are working but hopefully not to hard. I know concrete work is real hard, at least for me it always has been. Hope you have a fantastic week end Rossi.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:03 AM   #1046
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,403
Rewards Points: 2,342
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Thanks for the zucchini recipes Jim and Jan! I brought some zucchini to my sister-in-law today and she said she's going to make _________ (can't remember the name of it).

But she said you cut a huge zucchini in half and dig the seeds out with a spoon. Put both halves on a foil-lined cookie sheet.

In a bowl, make a meatloaf - with the ingredients you normally use.

Spoon the meatloaf into the two zucchini halves. Pour some spaghetti sauce on - enough to cover the meat.

When it's done cooking, sprinkle cheese on it.

I'm going to have to ask her for more details and I'll add them to this post because I don't know what temp to cook them at or for how long.

Jim, I'm looking forward to seeing those pictures. It's a shame that there was water leaking in through the roof. Things like that are enough to drive a person crazy.

Jan, the problem with loading the pics isn't the size of them. It has something to do with this computer being a Mac (I think) and for some reason I get an "Invalid File" message when I try to download a picture. It's not the computer, it's just that I haven't figured out how to make it work. Maybe Mac files and PC files aren't compatible?

But I bought a PC laptop to take on my trip, so I'm going to try downloading them from that.

Jim, thanks for offering to let me send pics & downloading them for me. If it doesn't work out with the other computer, I may take you up on your offer.
__________________

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:31 AM   #1047
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,403
Rewards Points: 2,342
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Thanks Ross! Once I got through the first night of the trip, everything was fine. I had some trouble with two people trying to break into my van while I was in it around 1:30 am that night. Fortunately, after a little trouble, I got away from them, but they scared the living daylights out of me. Creepy.

I ended up driving 23 hours straight through from Grand Rapids, Mich. to Miles, Montana. There were no available hotel or motel rooms in the western half of Minnesota, all of North Dakota or the northeastern part of Montana. I finally found a small campground to pitch my tent at 8:30 Sunday morning (Eastern time). I'd left my house at 9:30 am Saturday.

What I was told was that there are so many people going to North Dakota, Minnesota and Wyoming for the jobs in the oil fields, that there isn't enough housing for all of them. So the hotels and motels are full. Plus, that weekend there was a Little League Baseball tournament going on across the country, so that added to the problem.

A guy I talked to in Boise, Idaho told me that there are people in North Dakota who are renting out space in their backyards to oil field workers coming from other areas of the country. He said they'll let people park their RV's for $800 to $1,000 a month and people are so desperate for a place to stay that they'll pay it.

Other than that, the scenery out west is incredible. Absolutely gorgeous. It would be fun to spend a whole summer driving around and camping out there. Probably not alone though .

The most beautiful drive I took was down the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway, in Wyoming. If you're ever in that part of Wyoming, try to see it. Not only was the scenery nice, but there was hardly any traffic . Every once in a while I'd see a car or truck. Maybe 4 or 5 in a half-hour.
__________________

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #1048
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Really scary stuff Barb. I'm so glad you got away from them. I wonder who they went on to victimize.
Like you said, they must have been drug addicts. They will stop at nothing when their ' fix ' is involved.

I don't think I'd have had the guts to sleep alone in a tent after that. So good for you. I'm glad they didn't spoil the rest of the trip for you.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (08-19-2012)
Old 08-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #1049
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lookout Valley, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 7,844
Rewards Points: 2,790
Blog Entries: 1
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
Thanks for the zucchini recipes Jim and Jan! I brought some zucchini to my sister-in-law today and she said she's going to make _________ (can't remember the name of it).

But she said you cut a huge zucchini in half and dig the seeds out with a spoon. Put both halves on a foil-lined cookie sheet.

In a bowl, make a meatloaf - with the ingredients you normally use.

Spoon the meatloaf into the two zucchini halves. Pour some spaghetti sauce on - enough to cover the meat.

When it's done cooking, sprinkle cheese on it.

I'm going to have to ask her for more details and I'll add them to this post because I don't know what temp to cook them at or for how long.

Jim, I'm looking forward to seeing those pictures. It's a shame that there was water leaking in through the roof. Things like that are enough to drive a person crazy.

Jan, the problem with loading the pics isn't the size of them. It has something to do with this computer being a Mac (I think) and for some reason I get an "Invalid File" message when I try to download a picture. It's not the computer, it's just that I haven't figured out how to make it work. Maybe Mac files and PC files aren't compatible?

But I bought a PC laptop to take on my trip, so I'm going to try downloading them from that.

Jim, thanks for offering to let me send pics & downloading them for me. If it doesn't work out with the other computer, I may take you up on your offer.
Barb, that does sound really good, we will be waiting for the rest of the recipe.

That would have scared just about anyone out of a few years growth. We are glad that turned out good and you had a great trip.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (08-19-2012), rossfingal (08-20-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #1050
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,403
Rewards Points: 2,342
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get this information posted....

She said she baked the stuffed zucchini at 350 F for 45 minutes.

How is everyone doing?

A certain moderator has a birthday coming up in a couple days!
.
.
.

Advertisement

__________________

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gma2rjc For This Useful Post:
BigJim (09-03-2012), creeper (09-03-2012)
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"DIY" - a Story rossfingal Off Topic 24 12-20-2011 08:15 AM
A story DangerMouse Off Topic 17 12-19-2011 01:46 PM
2 story, 3 story, or a basement? reveriereptile Building & Construction 13 10-10-2011 06:30 PM
convert 1 1/2 story to full two? BlueBSH Building & Construction 4 05-03-2010 08:20 AM
2nd story bathroom, drain &vent, please help!!! serik Plumbing 4 07-15-2009 08:33 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts