"DIY" - Cooking/baking - Story - Off Topic - Page 56 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #826
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Western suburbs, Chicago, Il.
Posts: 2,688
Rewards Points: 2,054
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Speaking of Weddings -
My nephew is a wedding photographer -
a couple of years ago - he shot a wedding; in Chicago -
reception at the "Four Seasons" hotel.
Wedding of a prominent, TV person.
Cost of reception - $150,000 to $200,000.
Must be nice to have that kind of dough!
(I wonder what the wedding dress and the flowers cost?!?)
"RF"
Happy Memorial Day, kids!

Advertisement

rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #827
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
For my second marriage, we got married at the court house and had the reception the next day. We made all the food and a friend who had a catering business and also made wedding cakes made our cake and helped with the food. And we only paid $25 for the reception hall because it was in the township building (out in the country, smack dab in the middle of nowhere!).


I wonder if that's where they got the name 'navy beans', Jim. Unless they didn't use navy beans.

I was raised in the country, but my mom was raised a city girl and didn't fix any of the country or southern foods. I've never had grits, hominy, jowls, collard greens, crawdads and probably a few other things. Not that I haven't had the chance since I moved away from home.

I also never learned how to cook with dried beans or peas or how to make fried chicken (the way it should be made).

But I make really good pork chops now... thanks Judy and Jim!

See now thats my kind of wedding If I ever do get married it will be just a few special people..all very low key.

Barb, Iv'e never had any of those things either, but no offence intended but I'm not so eager to try jowls or crawdads either
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #828
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Western suburbs, Chicago, Il.
Posts: 2,688
Rewards Points: 2,054
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Jowls and crawdads are fine!
If they're done right!!!
"RF"
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #829
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


I took the day off work today to accompany the classroom on a field trip to Medieval Times. Has anybody ever taken a group of kids there. There are 9 of them in North America. The show is all about medieval England, complete with royalty, horses and dualing knights.
The wenches serve your lunch..chicken and potatos and no cutlery..that was special..

I can't say much about the story line because even though I sort of took the day off, my blackberry didn't.
Attached Thumbnails
"DIY" - cooking/baking - story-img00170-20120525-1104.jpg   "DIY" - cooking/baking - story-img00175-20120525-1127.jpg   "DIY" - cooking/baking - story-img00186-20120525-1228.jpg  
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #830
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,402
Rewards Points: 2,340
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfingal View Post
Speaking of Weddings -
My nephew is a wedding photographer -
a couple of years ago - he shot a wedding; in Chicago -
reception at the "Four Seasons" hotel.
Wedding of a prominent, TV person.
Cost of reception - $150,000 to $200,000.
Must be nice to have that kind of dough!
(I wonder what the wedding dress and the flowers cost?!?)
"RF"
Happy Memorial Day, kids!
Gee, what a cheapskate! $150,000 to $200,000 on a wedding?! Is THAT all?

I'd be so stressed if I was the photographer for a wedding. It would be just my luck that the pics wouldn't turn out or the lens cap was left on all day. I'd have to tell the bride that I got 500 EXTREME close-ups of the grooms tuxedo.

Hmm. It's awfully quiet here . I think I'll have a beer. Then out to the yard to get some work done.

Barb
__________________

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #831
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,402
Rewards Points: 2,340
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
I took the day off work today to accompany the classroom on a field trip to Medieval Times. Has anybody ever taken a group of kids there. There are 9 of them in North America. The show is all about medieval England, complete with royalty, horses and dualing knights.
The wenches serve your lunch..chicken and potatos and no cutlery..that was special..

I can't say much about the story line because even though I sort of took the day off, my blackberry didn't.
"wenches".....

I've never been to Medieval Times, but my friends' husband has and he said it was great.

No forks or spoons? I hope they don't have spaghetti or soup on the menu.

I'm not really 'into' or knowledgeable about the history of medieval times, but it would be interesting to go there some time. It's always fun to try something different.
__________________


Last edited by gma2rjc; 05-25-2012 at 07:24 PM.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #832
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Western suburbs, Chicago, Il.
Posts: 2,688
Rewards Points: 2,054
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
Gee, what a cheapskate! $150,000 to $200,000 on a wedding?! Is THAT all?

I'd be so stressed if I was the photographer for a wedding. It would be just my luck that the pics wouldn't turn out or the lens cap was left on all day. I'd have to tell the bride that I got 500 EXTREME close-ups of the grooms tuxedo.

Hmm. It's awfully quiet here . I think I'll have a beer. Then out to the yard to get some work done.

Barb
No, that wasn't the cost of the whole wedding - just the reception!
(I wonder what the rings cost?!?)

My nephew is a "pro" - no lens caps left on!
Hundreds of weddings in a year.

"RF"
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #833
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Sure been alot of arse's around here trying to spam us lately.. Keepin you on your toes huh Mike
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #834
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,402
Rewards Points: 2,340
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfingal View Post
No, that wasn't the cost of the whole wedding - just the reception!
(I wonder what the rings cost?!?)

My nephew is a "pro" - no lens caps left on!
Hundreds of weddings in a year.

"RF"
Holy cow! Just the reception? So the whole ball o'wax was probably a few pennies over $500,000? Then there's the honeymoon! That probably had to go on the credit card.

Your nephew must be a great photographer to be keeping so busy. That's great!
__________________

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #835
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,402
Rewards Points: 2,340
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
Sure been alot of arse's around here trying to spam us lately.. Keepin you on your toes huh Mike
Did you hit the little red button too?
__________________

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #836
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
"wenches".....

I've never been to Medieval Times, but my friends' husband has and he said it was great.

No forks or spoons? I hope they don't have spaghetti or soup on the menu.

I'm not really 'into' or knowledgeable about the history of medieval times, but it would be interesting to go there some time. It's always fun to try something different.
Its just a bunch of actors riding around having mock battles, although it is quite realistic. The horses are very well trained. One knight wins the battle for his king and the princess swoons when he comes home from battle..m'lady. I guess ..thats it I was in the lobby half the time.. Speaking of blackberry's...pager went off again, looks like its back to business.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #837
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
Did you hit the little red button too?
I didn't cuz this jerk managed to work his way all the way down to off topic. I figured the mods had enough alerts
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #838
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lookout Valley, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 7,843
Rewards Points: 2,790
Blog Entries: 1
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
For my second marriage, we got married at the court house and had the reception the next day. We made all the food and a friend who had a catering business and also made wedding cakes made our cake and helped with the food. And we only paid $25 for the reception hall because it was in the township building (out in the country, smack dab in the middle of nowhere!).


I wonder if that's where they got the name 'navy beans', Jim. Unless they didn't use navy beans.

I was raised in the country, but my mom was raised a city girl and didn't fix any of the country or southern foods. I've never had grits, hominy, jowls, collard greens, crawdads and probably a few other things. Not that I haven't had the chance since I moved away from home.

I also never learned how to cook with dried beans or peas or how to make fried chicken (the way it should be made).

But I make really good pork chops now... thanks Judy and Jim!
Barb, buy some boneless chicken breast, cut them into strips about 1-1 1/2 inches wide and fry them just like the pork chops.

Come to think of it the beans were navy beans. The navy cooks sure made the fried chicken look good but it was always bloody inside. Nope, not this ole boy, my chicken has got to be gooood and done.

You wouldn't like collard greens, they are way too strong, most folks down this way put a dab of sugar in the collards, I can't stand them either way. I do like turnip greens without the turnips, Judy likes the turnips but I don't. I don't care for crawpaws they are a little too tough for me. I didn't eat any of them until about 10 or so years ago, I always used them for fish bait.

Now talking about fish, give this a try when cooking fish, especially catfish. If you are catching the fish kill them as fast as you can, cut the tails on both sides to bleed them out, put on ice ASAP, fish start to deteriorate the second they come out of the water, the soon the ice the better they will taste. After you filet the fish you will see a dark strip down the middle of the meat, cut that dark streak out, that is what taste so fishy. When fileting try to keep the outside of the fish off the filets, the slime tastes a little bad. Cut the dark part of the skin off also. Sometimes there is some silver looking stuff on the filets, I cut that off, I just want good white meat.

To fry the fish, good peanut oil or a peanut oil mix is good. I like to deep fry in cast iron, like a skillet or dutch oven. You want enough oil so the fish can float. Mix some good cornmeal and self rising flour, ratio 1flour:2 cornmeal. Salt and pepper and just a pinch of garlic powder. Mix all that dry together. Wash the filets, dry them off then put them in the dry mix, shake excess off, you don't want it heavy. Heat the oil to 375 degrees and try to keep it at that. Ease the filets into the hot grease and cook until they float they will bubble like crazy at first, cook them until the bubbles are reduced down to about half as many as when you put them in, I like to let mine cook a little longer than that but most folks like them about there.

OK, now the hush puppies. Same mix as the fish coating 1 flour: 2 cornmeal, salt pepper, a little more garlic powder maybe two pinches, minced onions, and as much fresh hot pepper and other hot ground peppers you can stand. Mix with beer and then let the mix sit until it rises completely. Spoon one spoonful at a time into the hot grease after the fish is cooked, let them brown good on both sides and they are done. Judy uses half milk and half buttermilk to mix the hush puppies instead of beer and they are really gooood.

Some of Barb's good baked beans, a little cole slaw and there ya go.

Grits, hominy, jowls, all grits are is ground up hominy and all hominy is corn that has soaked in lye and swelled up. Hominy and grits are good with butter, salt and pepper but I can do without the grits, I can take them or leave them.
Jowls is just good bacon, it has a slightly different taste from bacon but if you didn't know what you were eating it would pass for bacon.

All the dry peas and beans will cook the same as far as I know, a good dose of bacon grease about 1/4 of a cup, or some good smoked ham hocks, or some good salt pork is good, or a country ham bone with some meat still on the bone.

Now frog legs, that is another good southern dish. If you want to know how to cook them let me know, they taste like really good chicken, for real. Blame, I dun got hungry now.

Jan, I hope I didn't sound real heavy last night about high dollar weddings.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 05-25-2012 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Added
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #839
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


My stars Jim, I agree with you. I'm right on board with that one. I think its a waste of money too, but some little princesses just don't get it. Maybe when its their turn to dish out for their daughter they will see things differently
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
BigJim (05-26-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #840
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,402
Rewards Points: 2,340
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
Barb, buy some boneless chicken breast, cut them into strips about 1-1 1/2 inches wide and fry them just like the pork chops.

Come to think of it the beans were navy beans. The navy cooks sure made the fried chicken look good but it was always bloody inside. Nope, not this ole boy, my chicken has got to be gooood and done.

You wouldn't like collard greens, they are way too strong, most folks down this way put a dab of sugar in the collards, I can't stand them either way. I do like turnip greens without the turnips, Judy likes the turnips but I don't. I don't care for crawpaws they are a little too tough for me. I didn't eat any of them until about 10 or so years ago, I always used them for fish bait.

Now talking about fish, give this a try when cooking fish, especially catfish. If you are catching the fish kill them as fast as you can, cut the tails on both sides to bleed them out, put on ice ASAP, fish start to deteriorate the second they come out of the water, the soon the ice the better they will taste. After you filet the fish you will see a dark strip down the middle of the meat, cut that dark streak out, that is what taste so fishy. When fileting try to keep the outside of the fish off the filets, the slime tastes a little bad. Cut the dark part of the skin off also. Sometimes there is some silver looking stuff on the filets, I cut that off, I just want good white meat.

To fry the fish, good peanut oil or a peanut oil mix is good. I like to deep fry in cast iron, like a skillet or dutch oven. You want enough oil so the fish can float. Mix some good cornmeal and self rising flour, ratio 1flour:2 cornmeal. Salt and pepper and just a pinch of garlic powder. Mix all that dry together. Wash the filets, dry them off then put them in the dry mix, shake excess off, you don't want it heavy. Heat the oil to 375 degrees and try to keep it at that. Ease the filets into the hot grease and cook until they float they will bubble like crazy at first, cook them until the bubbles are reduced down to about half as many as when you put them in, I like to let mine cook a little longer than that but most folks like them about there.

OK, now the hush puppies. Same mix as the fish coating 1 flour: 2 cornmeal, salt pepper, a little more garlic powder maybe two pinches, minced onions, and as much fresh hot pepper and other hot ground peppers you can stand. Mix with beer and then let the mix sit until it rises completely. Spoon one spoonful at a time into the hot grease after the fish is cooked, let them brown good on both sides and they are done. Judy uses half milk and half buttermilk to mix the hush puppies instead of beer and they are really gooood.

Some of Barb's good baked beans, a little cole slaw and there ya go.

Grits, hominy, jowls, all grits are is ground up hominy and all hominy is corn that has soaked in lye and swelled up. Hominy and grits are good with butter, salt and pepper but I can do without the grits, I can take them or leave them.
Jowls is just good bacon, it has a slightly different taste from bacon but if you didn't know what you were eating it would pass for bacon.

All the dry peas and beans will cook the same as far as I know, a good dose of bacon grease about 1/4 of a cup, or some good smoked ham hocks, or some good salt pork is good, or a country ham bone with some meat still on the bone.

Now frog legs, that is another good southern dish. If you want to know how to cook them let me know, they taste like really good chicken, for real. Blame, I dun got hungry now.

Jan, I hope I didn't sound real heavy last night about high dollar weddings.
Thanks Jim! I'm going to print all of this information off. I've always had very little luck with cooking fish. It always turns out kind of tough.

The hush puppies I may have to try this weekend. They're my favorite thing to order at Long John Silver's. Like anything else, they're probably much better home made.

And creamy cole slaw is the best. I had a recipe I used when I was a kid. I can still picture the cook book it was in, but can't find it at my mom's anymore. I think it might have been the same book that had the good recipe for fried rice. I'd like to have those two recipes again.

I think the cabbage in the cole slaw is really good for a person. My friends' husband was at a cancer treatment center and one of the things they had him do was soak in a tub with cabbage leaves under his arm pits and groin area. It pulls the poisons out of the body. It's probably even more effective when it's eaten.

Thanks for all the good information Jim!

Advertisement

__________________

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gma2rjc For This Useful Post:
BigJim (05-26-2012)
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"DIY" - a Story rossfingal Off Topic 24 12-20-2011 08:15 AM
A story DangerMouse Off Topic 17 12-19-2011 01:46 PM
2 story, 3 story, or a basement? reveriereptile Building & Construction 13 10-10-2011 06:30 PM
convert 1 1/2 story to full two? BlueBSH Building & Construction 4 05-03-2010 08:20 AM
2nd story bathroom, drain &vent, please help!!! serik Plumbing 4 07-15-2009 08:33 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts