Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #736
Member
 
creeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Share |
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Sometimes when life sucks lemons its best to just fake it until you feel better. It really works. Singing helps too. Its hard to be bummed if you are singing. Unless you are the one listening to me sing then that would really suck for you

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #737
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,066
Blog Entries: 1
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


I usually don't care for casseroles but this is great. I didn't need to make it spicy I just like spicy foods, I love fresh cayenne or jalapenos peppers in a lot of foods.

Here is Judy's recipe:

Note: Since I can no longer find Hi Ho Crackers, I just use Ritz Original Crackers as a substitute and they work like a charm. Besides just putting Parmesan cheese on top before I bake this casserole, I also put Mozzarella Cheese on top as soon as it comes out of the oven. It's not necessary, but surely does add to the taste overall. The melted Mozz is soooo tasty...


Hi Ho Cream of Chicken Casserole



Ingredients

  • 4 skinless, bone-in chickenbreast halves
  • 2 stalks celery, cut into thirds
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 cups Hi Ho Cracker Crumbs
  • 6 ounces sour cream
  • 1 small package cream cheese
  • 2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese


Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). (Actually, the preheat can wait until the chicken is almost done.)
  2. Bring to a boil the chicken breasts, celery, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and enough water to cover. Cover, reduce heat to medium low; simmer for 35 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup liquid. Cool chicken, remove meat from bones, and cut into bite-size pieces.
  3. In a large bowl, stir together sour cream, cream cheese, soup, broth, celery salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Spoon 1/2 mixture into a 9x13 inch casserole dish. In a resealable bag, shake together 1 cup crushed crackers and melted butter. Sprinkle cracker crumbs over the top. Spoon the other 1/2 mixture over the first layer. Sprinkle on the remaining cracker crumbs on top of casserole and dot with small pieces of butter. Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
  5. Sprinkle Mozzarella Cheese atop as soon as it comes out of the oven for a very extra cheesy taste treat.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
creeper (05-05-2012), gma2rjc (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #738
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Western suburbs, Chicago, Il.
Posts: 2,654
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Jim
Good one!!
(No calories - right!?!)
"Hi Ho" crackers?!?
Yeah, haven't seen them in a while!
Tell Judy -thanks!
Rossi
rossfingal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #739
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,066
Blog Entries: 1
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfingal View Post
Jim
Good one!!
(No calories - right!?!)
"Hi Ho" crackers?!?
Yeah, haven't seen them in a while!
Tell Judy -thanks!
Rossi
I don't know about the calories but it sure is good. I will be sure to tell her buddy.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #740
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,098
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Thanks for posting it Jim. And tell Judy I said thanks too. This sounds really good with the
cracker mixture and the cheeses.

I make a simple baked corn dish that has the crushed crackers and melted butter, spread on
top and a little bit mixed into the corn. It's my sisters' recipe.



~ Baked Corn ~

1 16oz. bag of frozen corn
2 cans creamed corn
1/8 tsp. pepper (or pepper to taste)
2 bags of Ritz or Town House crackers
salt to taste

In a 9" x 13" pan or casserole dish, thoroughly mix the frozen corn, creamed corn, salt and pepper.

In a saucepan, melt one stick of butter. Add a little pepper. Remove from heat. Once that's melted, grab
8-10 crackers or however many you can hold in your hands and crumble them into the butter.

You can crumble them to any size, but pea size ranging down to crumbs works best.

Mix about 1/4 of the cracker mixture into the corn. Smooth the corn down with the back of a spoon and
spread the remainder of the crackers over the top.

Bake at 350 F for about 30 minutes or until the crackers are golden brown and you see bubbles.

.
.
.
.
__________________


Last edited by gma2rjc; 05-05-2012 at 09:49 AM.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gma2rjc For This Useful Post:
BigJim (05-05-2012), creeper (05-05-2012), rossfingal (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #741
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Western suburbs, Chicago, Il.
Posts: 2,654
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Hi! All!
Found this -
Lost in the "archives"!
(Better late than never!)
Also, been spending too much time with plumbing repairs!
(I didn't know it - but, I think my helper is named "Murphy" - because -
"If anything can go wrong - it will"!!!)
I sure do love working on 100+ year-old, apartment buildings!!!
I got the day off!!!!

Beer and Cheese Bread

2 and 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon basil or marjoram (crushed)
1 - 12 oz. can of Beer
(What a waste of Beer!)
1 cup shredded, cheddar cheese
1 Tablespoon chopped, seeded Jalapeno pepper
(You can also, throw a little black or red pepper in)

(This would be considered a "Quick" bread - no yeast)

Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of a 9x5x3 in. loaf pan.
In a mixing bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, oregano, salt,
basil/marjoram
Add the beer, (No - don't drink all of it!!!) cheddar cheese, and Jalapeno
pepper.
Stir until combined (just, "lumpy")
Spoon batter into the prepared pan.
375 degree oven (pre-heated) - bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
Cool in pan or on a rack.
Can be served warm or completely cool.
(It does go well with BEER!!!)

I've had this with or without the Jalapenos -
the peppers add a little "zing"!

Bon Apettite! (SP?)

"RF"
rossfingal is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rossfingal For This Useful Post:
BigJim (05-05-2012), creeper (05-05-2012), gma2rjc (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #742
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,066
Blog Entries: 1
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
Thanks for posting it Jim. And tell Judy I said thanks too. This sounds really good with the
cracker mixture and the cheeses.

I make a simple baked corn dish that has the crushed crackers and melted butter, spread on
top and a little bit mixed into the corn. It's my sisters' recipe.



~ Baked Corn ~

1 16oz. bag of frozen corn
2 cans creamed corn
1/8 tsp. pepper (or pepper to taste)
2 bags of Ritz or Town House crackers
salt to taste

In a 9" x 13" pan or casserole dish, thoroughly mix the frozen corn, creamed corn, salt and pepper.

In a saucepan, melt one stick of butter. Add a little pepper. Remove from heat. Once that's melted, grab
8-10 crackers or however many you can hold in your hands and crumble them into the butter.

You can crumble them to any size, but pea size ranging down to crumbs works best.

Mix about 1/4 of the cracker mixture into the corn. Smooth the corn down with the back of a spoon and
spread the remainder of the crackers over the top.

Bake at 350 F for about 30 minutes or until the crackers are golden brown and you see bubbles.

.
.
.
.
Thanks Barb, I have it saved in my Recipe file now. Judy has been making the chicken dish back when the kids were little fellows.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #743
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,066
Blog Entries: 1
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfingal View Post
Hi! All!
Found this -
Lost in the "archives"!
(Better late than never!)
Also, been spending too much time with plumbing repairs!
(I didn't know it - but, I think my helper is named "Murphy" - because -
"If anything can go wrong - it will"!!!)
I sure do love working on 100+ year-old, apartment buildings!!!
I got the day off!!!!

Beer and Cheese Bread

2 and 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon basil or marjoram (crushed)
1 - 12 oz. can of Beer
(What a waste of Beer!)
1 cup shredded, cheddar cheese
1 Tablespoon chopped, seeded Jalapeno pepper
(You can also, throw a little black or red pepper in)

(This would be considered a "Quick" bread - no yeast)

Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of a 9x5x3 in. loaf pan.
In a mixing bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, oregano, salt,
basil/marjoram
Add the beer, (No - don't drink all of it!!!) cheddar cheese, and Jalapeno
pepper.
Stir until combined (just, "lumpy")
Spoon batter into the prepared pan.
375 degree oven (pre-heated) - bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
Cool in pan or on a rack.
Can be served warm or completely cool.
(It does go well with BEER!!!)

I've had this with or without the Jalapenos -
the peppers add a little "zing"!

Bon Apettite! (SP?)

"RF"
Man this sounds gooooOOooOOod, we will be giving this a try one day soon, can we use O'Douls beer, that stuff with the alcohol makes my toes feel funny, especially when I have to curl them up and hook them under something to keep from floating away. Me and beer don't get along to well together.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #744
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Western suburbs, Chicago, Il.
Posts: 2,654
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Yeah -
O'Douls works.
All you're looking for is "flavor"!
And, some liquid.
"RF"
rossfingal is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rossfingal For This Useful Post:
BigJim (05-05-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #745
Pro Slate Roofer
 
tinner666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 1,588
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


People actually use 'ingredients'? Weird. Been taking care of wife since she came back from hospital Fri. An upright freezer and a chest freezer, not to mention several cabinets of ingredients too. I ran out of food before Fri. though, just 3 days after she went in.
By the 3rd. morning of her stay, I'd ran out of chips, PB&J, beanie weanies, sardines etc. No more food anywhere in the house! She refused to eat what few remains there were, so I had to go shopping for food. I cleaned out and threw away a chest freezer of ingredients and filled it with Banquet meals, and other food so I could feed her. She now complains constantly about my cooking and is threatening a hunger strike!
What to do?

Last edited by tinner666; 05-09-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: typo
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #746
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,098
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


I hope your wife is feeling better very soon tinner.

It stinks when there's so much food in the house and there's 'nothing to eat' .

My suggestion is to start at the beginning of this thread and try one of the delicious recipes that have been posted by our Master Chef's - Ross, Mike, Jim & Judy and Jan.

Who knows! You may discover that you like cooking.
__________________

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #747
Member
 
creeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Yes Frank, I hope the Mrs. is better soon too. At the very least so the pair of you don't starve.

I know what you mean Barb, when the cupboards are jammed and there is nothing to eat. So off to the store to drop another couple of hundred on ....soap...sheesh

Frank, besides going through all of our recipes you may want to dig out the crock pot. Throw it all in one pot mid morning and there will be dinner when you are tired at night.


This is for Mrs. Frank one pot simple chicken soup in the crock pot.



A couple of boneless, skinless chicken breasts chopped into bite size pieces. Do a quick brown in a frying pan (Frank..you have to put a little oil in the pan so it doesn't stick. Rub it around with a paper towel so you just have a little in there)

A couple of carrots and parsnips scraped clean and chopped into bite size.
Add some chicken broth. Dry ..add water Frank or one of those 1 litre tetra campbells things
Basil or parsley if you have it...Check the spice rack Frank

Throw everything into the pot for a few hours on high
30 minutes before you want to eat add some egg noodles

That will make your patient feel better
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #748
Member
 
creeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Today was a good day. Got picked up at home by a client and then taken for lunch.
Now if I can only get them to buy their own closing gift
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #749
Pro Slate Roofer
 
tinner666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 1,588
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Thanks guys, but I found a better recipe. I'm waiting now to see if she'll it. Stouffer's Chicken Pot Pie! I got myself El Montery Burritos. I'm happy. Hope she'll quit making faces soon.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #750
Pro Slate Roofer
 
tinner666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 1,588
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


I tried some oatmeal the other day, but the when I opened the container and measured out 1/2 cup, which created a dirty utensil btw, I took a spoonful and it just glued my mouth shut! And the more I drank, the stickier/gooeyier (sp?) it got! Weird things in the cupboards here.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"DIY" - a Story rossfingal Off Topic 24 12-20-2011 07:15 AM
A story DangerMouse Off Topic 17 12-19-2011 12:46 PM
2 story, 3 story, or a basement? reveriereptile Building & Construction 13 10-10-2011 05:30 PM
convert 1 1/2 story to full two? BlueBSH Building & Construction 4 05-03-2010 07:20 AM
2nd story bathroom, drain &vent, please help!!! serik Plumbing 4 07-15-2009 07:33 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.