Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #181
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lookout Valley, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 7,747
Rewards Points: 2,618
Blog Entries: 1
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Jim--your grocery prices are scary high---Have you checked out Aldi ? Work the trip for staples like milk--butter--cheese--and caned goods---

Also see if there is a Mexican grocery---they usually have good produce and meats---

ALDI USA
I had no idea they were even around here anywhere, I have them bookmarked and will be checking them out. I really do appreciate that. ALDI is just a little over 6 miles from our house. We went down a Jasper TN store this past week and that was 26 miles one way.

I haven't even looked this year but early last year ripe tomatoes were $3.96 a pound, I will grow some this year, that is crazy. Year before last I bought 4 medium size green tomatoes at Wal-Mart here and they were over $5.00, I liked to have flipped out.

I think the reason things are so high here is because the soil is mostly rock around here and most things have to be trucked in and also Chattanooga is a tourist town.

__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 02-08-2012 at 09:57 PM.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #182
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,135
Rewards Points: 2,912
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Milk at Aldis yesterday--$2.65--Butter $2.29--well worth the trip---your prices are nuts--Avocados-.49

I haven't been in a chain grocery store in years---I shop the smaller stores and the prices are better.

I can't have you living on catfish alone---you need milk and bananas.
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #183
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lookout Valley, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 7,747
Rewards Points: 2,618
Blog Entries: 1
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Milk at Aldis yesterday--$2.65--Butter $2.29--well worth the trip---your prices are nuts--Avocados-.49

I haven't been in a chain grocery store in years---I shop the smaller stores and the prices are better.

I can't have you living on catfish alone---you need milk and bananas.
Is that real milk and butter, good gravy, that is unreal, that is one heck of a difference. I am going to try the smaller stores and see also. The only thing is there aren't any stores other than Wal-MArt here in the valley but 6 miles sure isn't too far to drive. I really do appreciate it Mike, I owe ya one.

I just figured our tax on the milk also it comes to $7.10 a gallon total, that is just crazy.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #184
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Mike: Are those prices regular or did you get those items on special offer?

Around here you cant swing a cat without hitting a dairy farm, yet our milk is 4.99 for a regular 4litre bag. Up to 7 bucks for the fancy "pure filtre" stuff.
$4.40 for 454grams of butter (1b)
$6.00 for 900gram block of cheddar

Striploin steak (new york cut) I refuse to buy meat unless its on special, because something always goes on. $12 or under for 1000 grams.
cheaper cuts of roasts or chicken $6.59/1000 grams ,ground beef 454/1000grams then I stock up the freezer

Last edited by creeper; 02-09-2012 at 06:34 AM.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:51 AM   #185
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,135
Rewards Points: 2,912
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Aldi is a chain from Germany--they also own one called Trader Joe's---
They don't have sales--only private label items--limited variety of merchandise--

Most foods are very good--others only so-so---but always very fair price--

Well worth the trip-----

Best meat values around here are in the Mexican markets---and produce---
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #186
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Western suburbs, Chicago, Il.
Posts: 2,681
Rewards Points: 2,040
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
I tried making a version of rumaki with bacon, water chestnuts and small strips of chicken breast for dinner tonight.

It was so-so. Not as good as it is without the chicken. I haven't tried the chicken livers yet... that's next.

I sprinkled brown sugar on them when they were almost done and put them under the broiler for a few minutes. That didn't turn out so well. The brown sugar didn't melt. It cooked into hard lumps - .

Do you guys pour any kind of a sauce over your rumaki?
If you're going to try Rumaki, with chicken livers -
I think you might want use oh'mike's recipe, first.
Less "fooling around" - and, Very Good!

Sauce on Rumaki?!?
We're real men/women around here!!
We don't need no stinkin' sauce!
(I do have some "papers", though)

Seriously - (Yes, "Rossi" can be serious!!)
If you're going to use brown sugar -
In a pan - melt some butter - add the brown sugar - cook, till slightly,
"carmelized" - watch it, and, watch the heat - no burning!
Stir/whisk frequently!
Try that.

Food - one of the "joys" in life - that's not "addictive"!!
(Well, maybe - a little!)

rossfingal

(Oh no! - I just realized, this thread is on it's (13th) page!!!)

Last edited by rossfingal; 02-09-2012 at 09:08 AM.
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rossfingal For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (02-09-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #187
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfingal View Post

(Oh no! - I just realized, this thread is on it's (13th) page!!!)
Yep, the heats on in this one. You cooked up a good one Rossi.....(groan)

All these dishes sound great, but around here its just the kids and I. There is not a lot of motivation to spend time and money on a meal that at least one person is going to say EEWWW.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (02-09-2012), rossfingal (02-09-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #188
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Western suburbs, Chicago, Il.
Posts: 2,681
Rewards Points: 2,040
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Around here, we've got an Aldis - some good deals.
We've got a "Shop and Save"
Quite, often - Really, good deals!
Butter - $1.29
Margarine - 79 cents
Whole chicken - 89 cents a pound
Quarter-legs - 69 cents a pound
A dozen large, eggs - 79 cents
Lots of other ones!

rossfingal

(We're right south of "Dairy-land" - Wisconsin - the price of milk is ridiculous!)
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #189
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Western suburbs, Chicago, Il.
Posts: 2,681
Rewards Points: 2,040
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
Yep, the heats on in this one. You cooked up a good one Rossi.....(groan)

All these dishes sound great, but around here its just the kids and I. There is not a lot of motivation to spend time and money on a meal that at least one person is going to say EEWWW.
I like that!
"the heats on"!
"cooked up a good one"!
He, he, he!!!
(It's good to know I'm not the only "clown" around, here!)
My compliments!!!

rossfingal

(By the way it's not "EEWWW" - it's "icky-pooh"!)
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #190
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Western suburbs, Chicago, Il.
Posts: 2,681
Rewards Points: 2,040
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Well, nobody is around - none of the "usual suspects"
So, a brief digression.
This happened a couple of nights, ago.
I was on my way to the gas station, to reload - "beverages".
(I bet you're surprised!!)
The street-lighting in my "hood" - leaves "something to be desired".
However, I was wearing very dark clothes - (Me, Bad!)

I'm walking down a very, major, "main drag".
Crossing a side-street -
Someone in a small, silver car - cuts the corner onto the side-street -
very, tight.
The lighting is bad - however, I can see they're on a "cell".
I jump out of the way - I don't think the person even saw me!
What's up with that?!?!
Idiots!!!

When I was on the road a lot (Yes, whole, big, bunches!!!) -
If, I had to use my "cell" - I pulled off the "friggin" road!!
Sorry - I digress!

rossfingal

(I'm also, trying to get off the "dreaded" - 13th page!!! - what a thoughtful, humanitarian!!)

Last edited by rossfingal; 02-09-2012 at 11:53 AM.
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #191
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,333
Rewards Points: 2,202
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
Yep, the heats on in this one. You cooked up a good one Rossi.....(groan)

All these dishes sound great, but around here its just the kids and I. There is not a lot of motivation to spend time and money on a meal that at least one person is going to say EEWWW.
Same here, when my daughters were small. I'd get home from work and make a nice supper for them - for the 3 of us. After supper I'd see that they had hardly eaten anything and realized I probably didn't need to spend 2 hours of every evening cooking and cleaning the kitchen if nobody was going to eat much.

Half the time I had nibbled while I was cooking, so I wasn't hungry when it was done either...

Thanks for the brown sugar and butter tip Ross. I'll try that next time.

Mike, thanks for the reminder about Aldi. We have one nearby and I haven't been to it yet. I'm going to check it out this week. I didn't know they owned Trader Joe's. That's one store I wish we had nearby. My relatives over by Detroit go there alot. They love that store.

Glad you didn't get hit by that car Ross! Holy smokes I bet that was scary. Yes, lets get past this 'page 13'.

Jim your grocery prices are outrageous. It's too bad your store doesn't give residents some kind of a discount. Imagine having a bunch of kids and paying $6.50 for a gallon of milk. I hope your Aldi store is more reasonable.

Creeper, I forgot that you buy milk in a bag in Canada. I looked it up online one time so I could see a picture what it looked like in the dairy case with bags instead of cartons or jugs.

Barb
__________________

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #192
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lookout Valley, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 7,747
Rewards Points: 2,618
Blog Entries: 1
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


13 is one of my lucky numbers, so I am as happy as a hog eatin slop. I feel more like now than I did while ago.

I am still waiting for the bananas to get over ripe so I can make some nanner nut bread, I just luuuuuv that stuff. I was told if you take the bananas apart when you get home with them they will last a lot longer and they really do. Usually about two or three days tops and they have turned but they are still just as fresh as the day we brought them home. I also left them in the plastic bag.

Every time we get bananas we get the little fruit flies and they just drive us nutz.

Whoooo mama, them beans and cabbage came back to haunt us last night, but they sure were gooood, heck, at our age any activity is fun.

Rossi, we are sure glad you saw that dummy in the car, you don't need that kind of excitement. We are going to check out the Aldis stores here soon, that sounds like a winner. Back in the 60s a weeks groceries was around $15 for two, not any more. I really do feel sorry for anyone trying to make it on minimum wage salaries now days. Man I need to get off here, I am just ramblin on and on. I just wonder if it is shorter to New York than it is by plane?
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #193
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Western suburbs, Chicago, Il.
Posts: 2,681
Rewards Points: 2,040
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
Same here, when my daughters were small. I'd get home from work and make a nice supper for them - for the 3 of us. After supper I'd see that they had hardly eaten anything and realized I probably didn't need to spend 2 hours of every evening cooking and cleaning the kitchen if nobody was going to eat much.

Half the time I had nibbled while I was cooking, so I wasn't hungry when it was done either...

Thanks for the brown sugar and butter tip Ross. I'll try that next time.

Mike, thanks for the reminder about Aldi. We have one nearby and I haven't been to it yet. I'm going to check it out this week. I didn't know they owned Trader Joe's. That's one store I wish we had nearby. My relatives over by Detroit go there alot. They love that store.

Glad you didn't get hit by that car Ross! Holy smokes I bet that was scary. Yes, lets get past this 'page 13'.

Jim your grocery prices are outrageous. It's too bad your store doesn't give residents some kind of a discount. Imagine having a bunch of kids and paying $6.50 for a gallon of milk. I hope your Aldi store is more reasonable.

Creeper, I forgot that you buy milk in a bag in Canada. I looked it up online one time so I could see a picture what it looked like in the dairy case with bags instead of cartons or jugs.

Barb
Tell them to clean your plate or - no desert!
(It worked for me!)

Brown sugar - make sure it's "sticky", thick enough - so it doesn't run
off the Rumaki.

Run over by a car - still can jump - luckily didn't find the car!
GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!
(Malicious intent!!!)

rossfingal
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #194
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,333
Rewards Points: 2,202
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Maybe #13 is GOOD luck in this case Ross. You didn't get run over - so that was good.

Quote:
"Whoooo mama, them beans and cabbage came back to haunt us last night, but they sure were gooood, heck, at our age any activity is fun."
Now that's funny!
__________________

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #195
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Western suburbs, Chicago, Il.
Posts: 2,681
Rewards Points: 2,040
Default

"DIY" - cooking/baking - story


Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
13 is one of my lucky numbers, so I am as happy as a hog eatin slop. I feel more like now than I did while ago.

I am still waiting for the bananas to get over ripe so I can make some nanner nut bread, I just luuuuuv that stuff. I was told if you take the bananas apart when you get home with them they will last a lot longer and they really do. Usually about two or three days tops and they have turned but they are still just as fresh as the day we brought them home. I also left them in the plastic bag.

Every time we get bananas we get the little fruit flies and they just drive us nutz.

Whoooo mama, them beans and cabbage came back to haunt us last night, but they sure were gooood, heck, at our age any activity is fun.

Rossi, we are sure glad you saw that dummy in the car, you don't need that kind of excitement. We are going to check out the Aldis stores here soon, that sounds like a winner. Back in the 60s a weeks groceries was around $15 for two, not any more. I really do feel sorry for anyone trying to make it on minimum wage salaries now days. Man I need to get off here, I am just ramblin on and on. I just wonder if it is shorter to New York than it is by plane?
Beans and cabbage?
Excellent!
Next up "Halusky"!
(If you like cabbage!)

New York? - I don't think the "crows" fly there from here!

Back in the early 60's, when I was a stock/bag boy at a Jewel food store.
Sometimes, people would come in and buy 100 plus, dollars of food
2 or 3 carts, Full!!
100 dollars don't get you that much, anymore!!

rossfingal

(I'm not superstitious - at all - just "funnin"!)


Last edited by rossfingal; 02-09-2012 at 01:38 PM.
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"DIY" - a Story rossfingal Off Topic 24 12-20-2011 08:15 AM
A story DangerMouse Off Topic 17 12-19-2011 01:46 PM
2 story, 3 story, or a basement? reveriereptile Building & Construction 13 10-10-2011 06:30 PM
convert 1 1/2 story to full two? BlueBSH Building & Construction 4 05-03-2010 08:20 AM
2nd story bathroom, drain &vent, please help!!! serik Plumbing 4 07-15-2009 08:33 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.