Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Ditch cable for DirecTV? Something else?

I have cable now (Comcast). Had them for a few years. I pay them $180 a month for the triple play (Cable, Internet, Phone, Expanded digital, HD, DVR Showtime (for Strikeforce MMA)).

The phone gets used twice a week when my mother in law calls my wife.

The Internet gets used.

We use the DVR and record shows from 12 out of the 200 channels we have.

During all the free promo periods etc, of having HBO, Cinemax, Stars, Showtime etc, I think we totalled 4 hours in 2 years of watching them. Showtime is nice to have for the Strikeforce event, but I'm considering getting rid of that as well.

DVR is a requirement. We only use one TV.

I'm thinking of ditching everything but the cable modem from the cable company and buying a MagicJack, then getting DirecTV or something else.

Any feedback? Good, bad?

AT&T UVerse was a consideration but the people there are too moronic to deal with - They keep sending me "now available in your area" mail only to tell me on the phone they are not quite there yet.

FIOS is not available in my area.

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
DIY Hack

i ditched comcast for DirecTV about 3 years ago and have had no regrets. If you switch give them a friends account number and you'll both get a credit on your bill ( i can give you my account # if you need it)

When i had comcast i'd lose service a lot more than i've ever lost it with DTV

Old 09-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
just a tool guy

Rewards Points: 250

FWIW...I had Magic Jack for a couple of years, and it was great in the begining. As time went on, the service degraded, lots of 'echo in the phone, false rings, etc. Also had a nasty habit of relabeling drives that were not in use at reboot...my sd port became a MJ drive once, as did my CF port. It even set up additional drive letters. Nothing was harmed during these actions...once I plugged an SD card into it's port, it relabeled itself, etc, but aggravating none the less.
+1 on ditching the cable bundle though. We don't watch enough TV to warrant the cost, and movies we stream over the PC. Phone is now Straight talk from wally world...we cut our telecom/entertainment costs from 150+/-, to 60 and don't feel deprived at all. Not sure about your DVR requirement, as we have no use for it.
HTH

One of these hammers will fix it.
mickey cassiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,484

Funny thing!

I am rural. I had Dish Network for about three years and it seemed they were always in a "contract negotiation" with some provider and until the negotiations were finalized they stopped the broadcasting of some channels I enjoyed.

In addition to that, there were channels that just simply disappeared from time to time. I would call them and ask them what happened and they tried to tell me I never had those channels to begin with but if I wanted to add them they were available for a small additional charge. I was convinced they were monitoring my viewing habits and using that information to drop minuscule channels from my service in hopes of being able to up-charge me at a later time.

I don't trust any of them anymore.

I am wondering if maybe Dish Network and Direct TV aren't somewhere up the line owned by the same people.

Cable isn't available here so it is satellite or nothing for me.

I have a Windstream land-line with no long distance service at all. I also subscribe to Windstream's Broadband Internet. They have TV available also for an additional charge. I tried to get them to drop the land-line we rarely use anymore due to three cell phones and they wouldn't do it. I tried to trade the land-line service for the TV service and they wouldn't do it. It is an all or nothing deal in my case.

However when I call them anonymously and inquire about their broad band service and I don't disclose that I already have their broad band service, they tell me I can get broad band service without any telephone service.

CONCLUSION: Honesty certainly is not the best policy with these greedy profiteering companies. And we wonder why Middle America is broke while bankers and super companies thrive.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
DIY Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
CONCLUSION: Honesty certainly is not the best policy with these greedy profiteering companies. And we wonder why Middle America is broke while bankers and super companies thrive.
There is hope for you yet Bud, You are sounding more like a Democrat everyday. Come on over, we can use the votes

Last edited by Mr Chips; 09-20-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
DIY Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post

The phone gets used twice a week when my mother in law calls my wife.
If you do decide to go with DirecTV, they do have an alliance with Verizon, so if you combine your bill you will get a discount. If you don't use much long distance get a local plan then with the discount it's really cheap ( i want to say around $10 last time i looked)
Old 09-20-2011, 12:36 PM   #7

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,130

I also have Comcast, but just for internet and basic or expanded cable.

I have gone totally wireless (2 of us) and have had no problem except when I do deep in the basement, but get 5 bars 1/4 block away. - Apparently something to do with the new towers and new options that reduce the reception distance. My kids and grandchildren all are totally wireless as far as telephone - when my daughter calls me and I ask her where she is, she might say I am working on the boat in the middle of the St. Croix river because the signal for the computer is better. There is always a reason to pke your head up an look around.

One more problem and I will be gone to a dish.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
Coconut Pete's paella!

So far I haven't really found anything super negative about DirecTV.

I guess the only bad thing is that it seems to cater to sports fans. Everybody says "if you're a sports nut, get DirecTV" - problem is the only non-ppv sport I watch is Tennis and you just need the Tennis Channel for that.

I seem like kind of an oddball customer. I don't watch any sports really, but I insist on HD and DVR.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,484

Quote:
You are sounding more like a Democrat everyday.
Yow well don't make that mistake again anytime soon. Also don't think I occupy space on the other side of the isle either.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #10
DIY Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post

I guess the only bad thing is that it seems to cater to sports fans. Everybody says "if you're a sports nut, get DirecTV" - problem is the only non-ppv sport I watch is Tennis and you just need the Tennis Channel for that.
That's actually a GREAT thing then. Yes they "cater to sports fan" but all that catering costs extra. If you don't watch a lot of sports, then you don't end up paying for them either.

I'm not a tennis fan, but from some of the promos it seems like they have some pretty awesome tennis coverage
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/sports/tennis

Last edited by Mr Chips; 09-20-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

I have Dish, it's ok. I have all the complete package (everything but the **** stuff), HD, DVR. Frankly, I find I am watching NatGeo, FX, TNT, etc and all of the non premium channels. The premium channels don't have a lot on them for what I see. I am thinking about pulling the plug on them altogether.

The annoying thing about satellite is the storms. Anytime we have a decent storm to the east, I lose the satellite for a bit. It seems to happen when I really want to watch something or record it...
Marty1Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #12
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

I've had both and agree with MartyMC. In four years I've lost maybe 6 hours of cable TOTAL. In a given week with satellite I might loose an hour TOTAL - from weather (rain fade/wind) or service interruption.

While this is trivial with TV (as far as I'm concerned) it's UNACCEPTABLE for internet. I whine like a girl () if the net goes out for 5 minutes. An hour =

If you have decent service from cable (granted Comcast ranks up there with the worst of scum-bag companies) I'd stick with it.*

*Caveat - I get internet/phone/cable from our local cable company and because its a publicly owned utility we pay "cost" for our cable and have excellent locally based service, so I am biased.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #13
DIY Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
I've had both and agree with MartyMC. In four years I've lost maybe 6 hours of cable TOTAL. In a given week with satellite I might loose an hour TOTAL - from weather (rain fade/wind) or service interruption.
My experience has been almost the exact opposite so I guess it's an "actual mileage may vary" kinda thing. We almost never loose our signal on DirecTV, ( at least while the power is on and/or we are watching it) and when we do it's ususally a very brief outage during a severe storm.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #14
Coconut Pete's paella!

Well I'm going to try to find a few people that are somewhat local to me and see what they have to say about how many times they have lost the signal w/ DTV.

Barring some negative feedback from them I'm ready to part ways w/ the cable company.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #15

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,130

Pete - I am not near Logoland, CT after moving out of Westbrook, CT.

Now, in the "Theater of Seasons" (MN), I have not heard about problems with either cable or satellite systems from friends or neighbors. We do not get the amount of snow that people think and it is the dry, fluffy stuff that does not stick to dishes, so nobody seems to have any outages and our power has not been off for 6 years or more.

My only problem with Comcast service was when lightning struck the ground a few hundred feet away and the surge killed an old TV (shorted out complete with smoke) and flipped a ground fault in the kitchen due to a DIY wiring error. My computer was protected by strip that worked well. This gave me an excuse to immediately get a new TV that I had been looking at for a while. No problems with the other 3 sets.

My only complaint is with the cost and the feeling that I have few choices. - I also MUST have the Speed channel, that usually puts you into a pricier package. I really do not need more speed on the internet because of my use.

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote