Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
Master Electrician

Share |

Discussion on Rewiring cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Yeah...for $5k I could replace all the wiring, both pumps & probably the controller
....and still make $$
Probably - with no permits, licenses, bonding, insurance, accounting, office, income taxes, property taxes and working out of your wife's station wagon.

Mark
busman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by busman View Post
Probably - with no permits, licenses, bonding, insurance, accounting, office, income taxes, property taxes and working out of your wife's station wagon.

Mark
$5k to do a small fix is outrageous
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
Master Electrician

Quote:
$5k to do a small fix is outrageous
That depends on what the fix is. Licensed electricians are required to bring installations into code compliance if they are going to work on them. Without knowing the details of the installation now and what the electrician proposed, there's no way to know what it cost and if it's reasonable.

I recently gave someone a quote of $3,800 to fix a burnt breaker in a hot tub panel. This was because the conduit feeding the panel was 140' from the house going under the finished patio and was undersized, too close to the spa and did not have an insulated EGC. To meet code it needed a complete rewire (including the new requirements for a bonding grid). Sure an hack could come in there and put a new breaker in for about $40 into one of the non-burnt locations on the bus. It just won't be me and my license doing that.

Mark
Old 09-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #4

According to the poster he's installing a GFCI breaker & 2 AFCI breakers
Not replacing the wire
So yes.....outrageous
Old 09-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
Master Electrician

Quote:
According to the poster he's installing a GFCI breaker & 2 AFCI breakers
Not replacing the wire
So yes.....outrageous
Dave,

You're still assuming that what the OP has planned meets the code requirements. Without knowing what the code requires and what the electrician is proposing, there is no way to know whether it's "outrageous" or not.

Mark
Old 09-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobElectrician View Post
I had an electrician come out to take a look at the circuit that has two outdoor outlets on it and also pool equipment, since the GFCI was tripping on the circuit, rendering the pool pumps useless, which means I can't use my pool right now.

I drew a diagram. The top part is the existing wiring. The breaker in the service panel is a normal breaker, but the first receptacle on it is GFCI, so everything downstream from it is protected, including the two pool pumps. Although I'll have to go out there and double-check that this is how the wires are connecting everything, I am pretty certain that this is correct. The lower part of the picture is what I plan to do with the wiring to fix the problem.

Although the system has been maintained somewhat, a lot of things have fallen into disrepair recently. The cover off the second outlet was torn off (which was actually why I thought the GFCI in the first outlet was tripping -- I was expecting to only have to pay him to replace the second receptacle with the broken cover... doh!) The electrician felt the first receptacle -- the one with the GFCI -- had gone bad as well. He said it was tripping because it was "too old." He wanted to gut the hole thing -- removing the first receptacle entirely, running the second receptacle off a GFCI breaker (green breaker) that would be placed in the pool controller, which has spots for breakers, and running the pumps off of AFCI breakers (in red), also to be placed in the pool controller.

Unfortunately, he wanted about $5,000 to do the work, and I am a noobie electrician (I've taken some classes on residential wiring, NEC, etc.) wanting some experience, so I might as well give it a shot myself
I'm not assuming,
I'm going by what the poster SAID the electrician wants to do
Did you even read his post ????
Old 09-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
Master Electrician

Quote:
I'm not assuming,
I'm going by what the poster SAID the electrician wants to do
Did you even read his post ????
So what does "gut the whole thing" mean? Dig up all the underground wiring and replace it? Is it the underground wiring that is leaking current and causing the GFCI to trip? What are the distances between these various receptacles and the pool control panel? Yes, you are still assuming, unless you know the whole story. The OP's description is not NEARLY enough to determine what this job needs to make sure it meets code.

I'll tell you what - take that description and e-mail it to some of your local licensed electrical contractors (you pick 'em) and ask for a firm price proposal, ready for your signature, for doing the work described. Make sure the contract includes a requirement for all work to meet all building codes. Let me know how that turns out.

I'm just trying to get you to give some benefit of the doubt to the electrician who has SEEN the job. It may be a complete rip-off, but without knowing all the details, we don't know.

As an electrician, it's insulting to the trade to just assume that $5,000 must be outrageous without knowing all the facts.

Mark
Old 09-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobElectrician View Post
He was not going to retrench or even run new wires for the runs, only doing what was necessary to change the wiring up.
You REALLY need to read
Its insulting not to bother to read a thread
Old 09-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #9
Master Electrician

Quote:
You REALLY need to read
Its insulting not to bother to read a thread
You ever try to pull old wiring out of underground conduits and replace it? Depending on the size of the conduit and the size of the wire, it can be QUITE a challenge.

You are right, that I missed that part about the trenching in the thread, but I did read the entire OP multiple times. Please feel free to add that sentence to the description when getting the quotes.

I still stand by my assertion that there is NOT enough information provided to know what the reasonable cost of this job is. And, therefore, it is unreasonable to just declare it outrageous without knowing the details.

Mark
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to busman For This Useful Post:
47_47 (09-08-2010), Gary in WA (09-08-2010)