Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Discussion on 20a extension cord plugged into a 50a outlet

Please provide the code that the post violated or justification that it is unsafe.

hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Plugging a 20a extension cord into a 50a outlet ???
Get real

Per 400.5

Quote:
These tables shall be used in conjunction with applicable end-use product standards to ensure selection of the proper size and type.
Also read 400.8

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scuba_Dave For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (09-25-2010)
Old 09-25-2010, 11:01 PM   #3

Is that any differeent than plugging a 16ga lamp cord into a 20 amp outlet? You reason is not based on code or a valid reason
Old 09-25-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayewe farm View Post
Is that any differeent than plugging a 16ga lamp cord into a 20 amp outlet? You reason is not based on code or a valid reason
Hayewe Farm.,

A 1.5mm≤{#16 AWG } lamp cord is UL listed with 15 or 20 amp branch circuit and I have see it all the time so that is not a issue at all.

Ditto with extendsion cords in few diffrent size I know they will come in 1.5mm≤ or larger so that is not a issue.

If you really want serious protection I have see what UK { British } done with their plugs all the plugs are fused and I am not joking on this one due I live in France and I have see it pretty often when the Brits do come over in France and asked for adpator. and in France we don't have fused plugs like you see in USA/ Canada so I know some of the nutty rules but used to it.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:44 PM   #5

So installing an inline fuse would be OK and protect the 12 ga wiring and the outlet.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:51 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayewe farm View Post
So installing an inline fuse would be OK and protect the 12 ga wiring and the outlet.
It can be done like that but.,, not really a best idea due some numbwits can bypass the fuse or put in oversized fuse then what.,,,, burnted cord I have see that in USA , France and UK so it don't amuse me much anymore.

I know many years ago one Americian company did make a fused plug but it complety disappair for many years after that but only in UK area still have fused plugs.

The other reason why I rather not do that idea due if something go wrong the 50 amp breaker or fuse may trip or blow or most likely not unless a good short circuit and it can get really hot and catch on fire before the fuse blow or breaker trip.

That on 4.0mm≤ conductor size.

Merci.
Marc
Old 09-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #7

But you use 12 ga in house wiring hooked up to a 200amp panel, the only saftey is the breaker or fuse which can also be changed.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
Wire Chewer

Why would you need to run 50amp worth of power with an extension cord?

Maybe you should have a sub panel installed in that location. A real 50 amp extension cord is going to be very expensive and no I would not use a 20 amp. If you don't actually need that much current, then plug it into a normal plug.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #9

I find it difficult to believe that any house wouldn't have at least one 20A dedicated receptacle that could be used. Could you get access to the main panel, and install a new 20A branch from there? Seems a lot less complicated, and would meet code (as long as you use the correct GFCI receptacle outdoors). And speaking of GFCI, doesn't code REQUIRE that any outdoor receptacle be GFCI?

How long is the run going to be from the receptacle to the welder?
I think that should be considered as well. Even if you fuse the cable/cord at 20A, if the run is more than 100 feet, I would want to use heavier conductor than #12, just so that most of the power actually gets to the welder.

FW

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #10
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE2KB View Post
I find it difficult to believe that any house wouldn't have at least one 20A dedicated receptacle that could be used. Could you get access to the main panel, and install a new 20A branch from there? Seems a lot less complicated, and would meet code (as long as you use the correct GFCI receptacle outdoors). And speaking of GFCI, doesn't code REQUIRE that any outdoor receptacle be GFCI?

How long is the run going to be from the receptacle to the welder?
I think that should be considered as well. Even if you fuse the cable/cord at 20A, if the run is more than 100 feet, I would want to use heavier conductor than #12, just so that most of the power actually gets to the welder.

FW
KE2KB if you read in the electrical section on this one you can see where this goes let me throw the link so you can able look it up and see why we are talking about it.

click here

Merci,
Marc
Old 09-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
KE2KB if you read in the electrical section on this one you can see where this goes let me throw the link so you can able look it up and see why we are talking about it.

click here

Merci,
Marc
My thoughts were that the tenant might be able to gain access to the fuse panel by asking the landlord. That said, he might need a licensed electrician to do the work, especially since it is a multiple family unit.

FW

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE2KB View Post
My thoughts were that the tenant might be able to gain access to the fuse panel by asking the landlord. That said, he might need a licensed electrician to do the work, especially since it is a multiple family unit.

FW
The op said he said he lives in an apartment owned by a slumlord, he has no access to the main panel and no outside outlets. He wants to run a welder outside that requires a 20amp service. He also said he does have a 240 volt dryer out let and wanted to know if he could get 120 volts 20 amps from it. I suggested a 12 ga extension cord with a 20 amp recep on the one end and a 50 amp plug on the other with an inline fuse and wired to only one hot, neutral, and ground. It was an answer to his request. Scuba-Dave deleted my post as unsafe and not to code. I disagree. It does not violate code nor is it unsafe.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #13
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,116

When I hear the word slumlord, I think of older aprtments, and older aprtments had 3 wire stove connections.
Since a 3 wire connections does not have a seperate ground and neutral, it is a code violoation to ry to get 120 volts from this receptacle.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
When I hear the word slumlord, I think of older aprtments, and older aprtments had 3 wire stove connections.
Since a 3 wire connections does not have a seperate ground and neutral, it is a code violoation to ry to get 120 volts from this receptacle.
Again, read the OP, he says it is 4 wire.