Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
Member
 
hvaclover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Suburbs of Detroit Mi
Posts: 3,704
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

dig this



__________________
Just slow, not stupid.

Last edited by hvaclover; 03-23-2009 at 10:23 PM.
hvaclover is offline  
Old 03-23-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
Idiot Emeritus
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fernley, Nevada (near Reno)
Posts: 1,626
Rewards Points: 1,046
Default

dig this


Agree completely!!

If I can keep my guns (and ammo), and keep my money (so the government doesn't have it), I'll be able to keep my freedom.

Take away my guns, or my money, and I cannot defend my freedom.

Hmmmm..... Anyone else see the true intent of our government here?!??

Rob


Last edited by micromind; 03-23-2009 at 11:38 PM.
micromind is offline  
Old 03-23-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
Member
 
hvaclover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Suburbs of Detroit Mi
Posts: 3,704
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

dig this


Come over to the "Funny" thread. Good debate.
__________________
Just slow, not stupid.
hvaclover is offline  
Old 03-24-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
Safe, Most of the Time!!
 
brokenknee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MN
Posts: 652
Rewards Points: 500
Default

dig this


Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post

I see you edited your post, were you asked to remove something?

I agree.
__________________
"Clarity to Agreement" Dennis Prager

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline  
Old 03-24-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

dig this


Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenknee View Post
I see you edited your post, were you asked to remove something?

I agree.
No, he has picture posting problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
Come over to the "Funny" thread. Good debate.
And it was the "Funnier" thread
Which seems to be gone

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 03-24-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Scuba_Dave is offline  
Old 03-24-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

dig this


"Each person" is better off having a gun. "Society" in peacetime is better off without armed citizens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_trap

I don't believe there is a solution.
Yoyizit is offline  
Old 03-24-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,333
Rewards Points: 2,202
Default

dig this


Some people may have already seen this video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

but if you haven't, and if the link doesn't work, go to youtube.com and type in 'We The People Stimulus Package' or 'Thomas Paine'.
gma2rjc is offline  
Old 03-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
Member
 
hvaclover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Suburbs of Detroit Mi
Posts: 3,704
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

dig this


Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenknee View Post
I see you edited your post, were you asked to remove something?

I agree.

you mean this
__________________
Just slow, not stupid.
hvaclover is offline  
Old 03-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #9
Safe, Most of the Time!!
 
brokenknee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MN
Posts: 652
Rewards Points: 500
Default

dig this


Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
How can they argue with that?
__________________
"Clarity to Agreement" Dennis Prager

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline  
Old 03-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #10
Safe, Most of the Time!!
 
brokenknee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MN
Posts: 652
Rewards Points: 500
Default

dig this


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
"Each person" is better off having a gun. "Society" in peacetime is better off without armed citizens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_trap

I don't believe there is a solution.
Sorry, I don't get it?
__________________
"Clarity to Agreement" Dennis Prager

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline  
Old 03-24-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,333
Rewards Points: 2,202
Default

dig this




...............
gma2rjc is offline  
Old 03-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

dig this


Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenknee View Post
Sorry, I don't get it?
"a group of people act to obtain short-term individual gains[a gun makes a person safer relative to unarmed people], which in the long run leads to a loss for the group as a whole" [gunfights can kill people and injure bystanders; fistfights don't usually have these drawbacks].
This is also called Tragedy of the Commons.

In an arms race, everyone is the same relative to each other [they are equally heavily armed] but both societies are worse off.

The situation in reverse: a guy with a six-shooter holds 20 people hostage.
As a group they'd be better off rushing the guy (a group benefit) but, as individuals, the first six get shot (a bad outcome for those six).

More Game Theory: having a gun is a Dominant Strategy. Whether your opponent is armed or not, you're in better shape. You don't have to use a gun but it is there if you need it.
"In game theory, dominance (also called strategic dominance) occurs when one strategy is better than another strategy for one player, no matter how that player's opponents may play."

Cheating and lying may be dominant strategies, but some games are probably set up so that they are not dominant. And politicians change their tune when they are under oath.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 03-24-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Yoyizit is offline  
Old 03-24-2009, 10:56 PM   #13
Safe, Most of the Time!!
 
brokenknee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MN
Posts: 652
Rewards Points: 500
Default

dig this


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
"a group of people act to obtain short-term individual gains[a gun makes a person safer relative to unarmed people], which in the long run leads to a loss for the group as a whole" [gunfights can kill people and injure bystanders; fistfights don't usually have these drawbacks].
This is also called Tragedy of the Commons.

In an arms race, everyone is the same relative to each other [they are equally heavily armed] but both societies are worse off.

The situation in reverse: a guy with a six-shooter holds 20 people hostage.
As a group they'd be better off rushing the guy (a group benefit) but, as individuals, the first six get shot (a bad outcome for those six).
You make the assumption that both societies are morally equal. (Hitler, Ahmadinejad, Chivas) most likely spelling errors on the names, but I am pretty sure you know who I am talking about.

I most definitely want to have more fire power than any of them. If not they would not hesitate to destroy us.
__________________
"Clarity to Agreement" Dennis Prager

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline  
Old 03-24-2009, 10:58 PM   #14
Member
 
hvaclover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Suburbs of Detroit Mi
Posts: 3,704
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

dig this


Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenknee View Post
You make the assumption that both societies are morally equal. (Hitler, Ahmadinejad, Chivas) most likely spelling errors on the names, but I am pretty sure you know who I am talking about.

I most definitely want to have more fire power than any of them. If not they would not hesitate to destroy us.
No. You got Hitler right.
__________________
Just slow, not stupid.
hvaclover is offline  
Old 03-24-2009, 11:01 PM   #15
Safe, Most of the Time!!
 
brokenknee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MN
Posts: 652
Rewards Points: 500
Default

dig this


Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
No. You got Hitler right.
They should all have good american name a person can spell.

__________________
"Clarity to Agreement" Dennis Prager

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.