Diffusing Vibrations From Neighbor, Using A Fence? - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Diffusing vibrations from neighbor, using a Fence?

My neighbors backyard and mine currently connect with no fence separating us. Along with their backyard, their driveway is also situated so it parallels my backyard as well. there is a small incline coming from their house to mine with a distance of 75ft/100ft from the driveway to my backdoor

Their children use the driveway to play basketball with other children in the neighborhood for extended periods of time in the afternoon and weekends.

the resulting setup sends basketball vibrations radiating throughout my living room/great room where most of my family's time is spent.

My question is, if I installed a wood fence in the backyard between us, would that absorb the vibration or diffuse it enough so as to stop being a disturbance? if not a fence, what could I do to minimize the vibration. These homes are on concrete slabs.

This is a family oriented neighborhood and I do not want to limit or deny the childrens outdoor activities, I don't hear their voices or screams only the ball vibrations??

any ideas?

Thanks,
~k

Advertisement

kmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #2

Diffusing vibrations from neighbor, using a Fence?-neighbor-me-deck.jpg

Diffusing vibrations from neighbor, using a Fence?-neighbor-me-living-room.jpg

added pictures from my deck and from inside the living room to the their driveway/basketball goal.

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

if you could (legally) put up a rigid fence, such as what there is to the left side of the pic, it would tend to deflect the sound. You will still hear the BB but it shouldn't be as sharp or pronounced as you will not be in direct line of site of the noise source. Sound travels like light does; straight lines and it does reflect from hard surfaces. You will get a reflected sound from the house they play at though but it should not be as sharp.

you might get a feel for what it would accomplish if you could get the kids to move the basket to the left (in the pic) so their bouncing would be shielded by the fence that is already there. Maybe you could get them to do it just so you can judge if it seems to help enough to consider putting up a fence.

You could also install some sort of thick and tall hedge. That would tend to absorb the sound more with less reflection back to the house and resultantly back again to you. That would take a considerable amount of time to grow enough to be effective though.

it's a shame as it seems either one will close off your yard. It's nice and open now.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
You could also install some sort of thick and tall hedge. That would tend to absorb the sound more with less reflection back to the house and resultantly back again to you. That would take a considerable amount of time to grow enough to be effective though.
i would look into vegetation first. if you really dig into it you could put up some sort of fruit bearing bush and both you and the neighbor would have fresh berries or fruit of some sort. just be mindful - a lot of those bushes have wicked thorns on them.

moving the goal is also a good idea. it looks like the configuration is channeling sound your direction (reflecting off of the neighbor's house.) anything to diffuse it would be good.
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

One thing to keep in mind: It's quite possible that the kids will get bored of playing basket ball there. This may be a problem for only a season or two. By the time you can build up enough plant barrier to block the noise, the problem itself might disappear! Then you might regret blocking the open views.....
Itsdanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #6

thanks for all the ideas! I may start out with the vegetation idea first before investing in a fence.

Since most of the children in the neighborhood are aspiring NBA stars, I wager there to be many many days and nights of thumping, thumping, thumping.... they have 3 kids...and only the oldest is playing ball with the other kids in the neighbor hood now. 2 more and they have a starting team, lol.

if anyone else has other ideas, I'm all ears
Old 03-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

"If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!"

You mentioned that they play evenings and weekends. Go join them, play with them...You might enjoy it, or they might stop or change the time they play...
Bill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #8

lol, I know they would love that!! I'm 6ft 6, 280 and used to play center in high school. Obviously, another reason I don't want to limit their play time

instead of a few one on one's we could do a one of 3 to 6 that might be fair

Advertisement