Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
Learning by Doing

Share |

DH is making me crazy - yes, this is a rant

DH and I are in need of a new roof. After three weeks I have had four roofers come to give us estimates. No one has turned in a written quote yet - although I am supposed to get one on Friday.

Today he comes home from work (did I mention that he didn't notice that I had completed a project in the garage he has been pestering me to do for months) and suggests that we could save some money on the roof if we buy all the materials and just pay a roofer to put them on. And by 'we' he means that 'I' get all the materials from a roofing supply company.

Cause, I know EXACTLY how many nails they'll need to put up a roof that I don't even know how many squares are on (because it's too steep and too high for me to consider crawling around on and measuring it). Oh, and because I don't have a million other things I need to do.

I'll concede that we both have alot of anxiety about the cost and it is a complete and total unknown right now - but does he really want me to properly figure out something that I assume takes at least some knowledge and experience?

Clearly, the answer is that he is INSANE. But what does that make me? I married him.

ARRGGG.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Kap
Mowing my life away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post

Clearly, the answer is that he is INSANE. But what does that make me? I married him.

ARRGGG.
Insane + 1.

Or yin to the Yang. I always get those two confused.

http://roofgenius.com/Download.asp

Last edited by Kap; 06-23-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:12 PM   #3

Leah, I doubt most roofers would be interested in that arrangement (wrong quantities, wrong items, missing items, timing of delivery, etc) and if any agreed they would probably charge more to cover for potential problems.

When hubby say things like that just smile at him like you use to do during the courting days and say "Aw, your so cute, can you rub my feet?"
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:40 PM   #4

It would be like the old, don't bring your own eggs to the diner, and yes us hubbies do have our moments. I'd vote for the "your so cute" comment and wait on the estimates to come in.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #5

Yeah, see if the local nice restaurant will allow him to bring his own steak, potatoes, veggie & drink of choice in & cook it & serve it at a lower price
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

I swear, I didn't quote you Scuba Dave, but I related this simile to DH. His reply: "I take parts to my mechanic."
Old 06-24-2009, 08:58 PM   #7

Well, maybe he sees all the great work you do on the house and figures you can do just about everything. This shows his pride and confidence in the work you do. That's so sweet.

Not sure why he wants you to climb up on that steep roof. Maybe he took out a new life insurance policy on you? Just kidding.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:03 PM   #8

So he only goes to the mechanic once every 20 years?
I'm sure the roofer can come back every 6 months for a roofing checkup for an added fee

I took parts to my MC mechanic, only because they did not have them in stock & I was able to find them - so it was faster
Old 06-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #9
Learning by Doing

Whenever DH mentioned me DIYing the roof I would hum mary-had-a-little-lamb in my head and nod. I was NEVER planning on getting on the roof. EVER.

He changed his mind when he rented a 40 foot ladder to try and get to the roof (it didn't reach). He got halfway up the ladder before he turned around and suggested that we hire a roofer.

Don't get me wrong. DH is the first to brag about all the hard work I am doing. But, he is also one of those spouses who says things like, "well, why don't you just pull another circuit?" or "while your at it why don't you..." and the most insane inducing idiotic utterance "How hard could it be to..?"
Old 06-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #10
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
I swear, I didn't quote you Scuba Dave, but I related this simile to DH. His reply: "I take parts to my mechanic."
I used to wrench on cars for a living and when people did this, the labor charges were adjusted accordingly. On top of this, it was always a real pain when the part YOU brought in broke. The customer comes back and says, "will warranty cover it?". I would say, I don't know. Ask the place you bought it.

Then, if it is a warrantable part from the parts house, the customer, for some silly reason, believes we should toss in the labor for free. The answer to that question; there is nothing wrong with the installation so, I'm sorry but you will have to pay the labor charges again.

they usually aren't real happy with the situation but hey, they paid me to install their part, that one time. If they want it changed again, it costs again.

Mechanics and roofers make money from the materials as well as the labor.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #11
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
Mechanics and roofers make money from the materials as well as the labor.
This is the part that makes DH into a raving lunatic.

Me, I think, how many times have I said at the mid-point of the project, "I would pay a thousand, million,billion dollars for someone to finish this for me."

First roofing quote, in writing, should come tomorrow at 3pm.

BTW - one of my proudest moments was when the water pump on our 1986 volvo (420,000 miles second clutch, original motor) went out. I went to the pick-and-pull, got another one, and spent 10 hours getting that MFer in, ALL BY MYSELF. That's when I got hooked on DIY. Something was broken, and I FIXED IT. ROAR.

Last edited by Leah Frances; 06-24-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Leah Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #12

A doctor and a lawyer were attending a cocktail party when the doctor was approached by a man who asked advice on how to handle his ulcer.

The doctor mumbled some medical advice, then turned to the lawyer and grumbled, "I hate it when people seek free advice from me at parties."

The lawyer replied, "I know just what you mean. It happens to me all the time."

"How do you handle it?", asked the doctor.

"I just send the person a bill for my time" replied the lawyer.

"That's good," said the doctor. "I'll have to remember that."

The doctor went home angry and seriously thought about sending a bill to the man who asked about the ulcer. "The nerve of him", he thought.

To his surprise, when he opened his own mail the next day, he found a bill from the lawyer for "consultation services rendered."
Old 06-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #13
Learning by Doing

So, did you know that I'm a lawyer and DH is a DOCTOR? You should see the dueling bills.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #14

I knew you were a lawyer. I didn't know your hubby is a doctor.

Has he ever had a mom bring her daughter to his office with a broken leg and hand him a bowl of plaster-of-paris, a roll of gauze and two Ibuprophen? Did she ask for a discount since she brought the materials he needed to fix it? Maybe she even brought her own magazines and Dr. Seuss books to read in the waiting room and thought that would reduce the bill by a few $$$$.

So, you probably have friends asking you for legal advice and the occasional, "hey, my lights are flickering and btw, can you come over to my house and fix my...."
Old 06-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. DH is the first to brag about all the hard work I am doing. But, he is also one of those spouses who says things like, "well, why don't you just pull another circuit?" or "while your at it why don't you..." and the most insane inducing idiotic utterance "How hard could it be to..?"
My wife usually doesn't notice or know 1/2 the work I do around here. She did notice how fast the garage/addition went up last year. And its been slow since then due to rain
I scraped all the popcorn off the ceiling today in one room
Never noticed

Quote:
Me, I think, how many times have I said at the mid-point of the project, "I would pay a thousand, million,billion dollars for someone to finish this for me."

BTW - one of my proudest moments was when the water pump on our 1986 volvo (420,000 miles second clutch, original motor) went out. I went to the pick-and-pull, got another one, and spent 10 hours getting that MFer in, ALL BY MYSELF. That's when I got hooked on DIY. Something was broken, and I FIXED IT. ROAR.
I've thought the same about finishing up a project
My problem is I have too many going on

My 78 Monte Carlo 5.0 starter went bad, right in front of the liqour store where my friends worked. I walked home got my MC & went & picked up a new starter, dropped it off at my car went home dropped bike off & walked back. Tool the tools out & put the new one in - had to jack up the car & take the tire off. There was an officer on duty outside. After finishing (did not start the car) put all my tools back in the trunk, & I went in to wash up. I came out clean & with a 6-pack, & went around to the drivers door. The officer smiled & said - That's confidence. Got in & drove away. But I've worked on cars since I was a 19 & bought my 1st wreck - a 66 Mustang - painted the roof: