Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Share |

Demolish this Hobbit House?

I want to say up front I am of two minds if this controversy is even true. I cannot see anybody building something like this, with no approvals or codes. I saw the interior and OMG! On the other hand, I cannot see that structural detailing is that great and just because it stands? And I most certainly cannot tell if there is any compliance with infrastructure requirements like sewer just to start.

http://www.treehugger.com/green-arch...ing-rules.html

I really have observed with Americans can do without building codes. One need only look at the South coastal regions of Belize.

Vote if you want on this one.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Wire Chewer

That is a piece of art, it's really too bad the big government world we live in today with all the bureaucracy and political BS that has to get in the way of people who want to do something different and cool like this. Only the pure evil of mordor could forge such plans to demand this to be demolished.

I wonder if the hobbits will be taken to Isengard.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Like I say, I have real mixed emotions. But if everybody just builds what they want and where they want with no codes and so forth?

Give me a piece of land I can build a spectacular home. Would you mind at all if I drained my sewage into the creek that runs past your home? Gvmnt wants all kinds of fees for me to connect. I only crap twice a day. The embers from the roof I have in mind might drift toward yours. Fire cannot get to you in time because I blocked the road but that is not really my problem is it. I bought better placed land than you did.

It is complex. But if everybody builds without some degree of rules? Last home standing wins I guess. And sorry I scraped and drained my land so it washed yours away.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #4

I read it as they don't like the looks of it. It doesn't fit in the character of the surrounding house. It has nothing to do with poor quality building.
oh'mike (08-09-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #5

Quote:
without the approval of the planning authorities, convinced permission for his home would be refused.
What did he expect them to do after he built it? Say.. "ok, you can keep it?"

As cool as it is, he knew the rules.
r0ckstarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #6

Jack it up and put a frame and wheels under it. Then it's a mobile home and all he needs might be a parking permit to park it on his land. Utility hookups might be a problem, though...
Pro Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Painter View Post
Jack it up and put a frame and wheels under it. Then it's a mobile home and all he needs might be a parking permit to park it on his land. Utility hookups might be a problem, though...
Could maybe work, for utilities just has to be treated like a camper or something. A 30 or 50 amp inlet and outside plug. you don't realisticly need more power than that in most homes anyway, you might have to compromise such as not running the AC, stove and dryer at the same time. For gas, not sure how that would work, phone/cable probably not a huge deal.

Personally I think the way these things should work is as long as you are not affecting anyone else you should be able to do what you want, but when you go to sell you'd be obligated to say that some stuff is against code, and show a full inspection report outlining the issues. Then it's up to the buyer to decide if they want to go through or not. Kinda like how it's the law to disclose if someone died in the house.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote