Crime Solved!!! - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Crime solved!!!

So I had to share this story with all of you because honest, I still can’t believe it happened. Long but good.
So I get a call from the gf yesterday afternoon and she asked me if I had taken the headrest dvd screens and ipod out of her car? I said no why? Apparently she left her car unlocked overnight on Sunday and someone stole them. I live in a pretty safe neighborhood so I was pretty ticked when I found out and she was very emotional to say the least.
Cops came, filed a report, and basically said it’s unlikely you will see the items again, which I could care less about the items, I was more concerned that someone was on my property going through our car. ( I am the type who has guns and am not afraid to protect what is mine)
So after long night of her being emotional I come into work today. She texts me and tells me that she called all of the pawn shops and nobody has any of the items. I proceed to do my own detective work knowing that her 120gb ipod is pretty rare when compared to all of the other ipods out there.
I checked craigslist and found one. So I text the gf and ask her the serial number of her ipod (yes we keep things like that). Emailed the guy on craigs list and he said he’d be happy to get me the number after work tonight. I proceed to check ebay and there are a lot of ipods on there, narrowed the search down to 120gb, black, and my zip code. Behold… one ipod for sale. I blew the picture of the back up to read the serial number and I was 95% sure (pixilated) it was the same as the gf’s. So I email them making up some bs on how I need the serial number to check the generation and version numbers. They respond back with, it has the latest software and you don’t need the serial number to check that. So I email back and say I just feel better about purchasing items on ebay when I have the serial number.
I go back to the ebay page it was on and the seller ended the auction. 9 days and 5 hours early, Hmm… I was suspicious and I was still almost positive about the 2 serial numbers. Called the girlfriend and police, both met me at the pawn shop. Wouldn’t you know it, the owner had the items, file, and security dvd made and waiting on the counter. (pretty sure he got the hint we were coming)
All items are back with us and the cops are out to get the thieves. And god bless the gf, she noticed and memorized the name from the pawn sale receipt of the person who brought it in! (we weren’t suppose to see that)
Still amazes me how it all worked out. Sorry this is so long but thought I would share.

Advertisement

gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

Crime solved!!!

Congratulations! Good work. Glad you got your stuff back and I hope the scumbags get caught.

I've had a couple times where I had to do my own detective work after being the victim of a crime. Same story you got from the police..."Good luck, but there's not much we can do."

I was head-on sideswiped by a drunk/drugged driver. He almost ran me off the road and still managed to shatter my driver's side window and bust off my mirror. Glass was everywhere in the truck and all over my two young daughters who were with me. I reported it, but the police said there wasn't anything they could do. I took my daughters home and went searching for his vehicle. I found it and called the police...turned out he had a record a mile long, including being a barred driver. Since he was asleep on the couch he couldn't be charged with drunk driving, even though he admitted he had done it, but his girlfriend's insurance company wasn't very happy.

Funny how it all works out in the end.

Advertisement

Old 06-15-2010, 02:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Crime solved!!!

I'd want to know what they looked like too

Had a friend who had the stereo stolen out of his car
He had a silent alarm & was woken in the middle of the night
Went out, told his wife to call the cops
He comes back in, wife is on the phone with police
He grabs a bat & heads out "There are foot prints in the snow...I'm going to find them"
Wife tells the Police they better get here fast her husband is going after them
He tracks the footprints.....to a house just as the police pull up - saw him from down the street
The thieves house is right around the corner !! One officer knows my friend
Police knock on the door...maybe 4am...and a "kid" answer fully dressed & in wet boots
But my friend is one big dude...and the Police say they need to go out & call it in
"Nobody move...we'll be right back"

A few minutes later they come back in...the guy is kinda bloody
They ask what happened....my friend answers he tripped & fell
They look at the kid
He knods & agrees ..."I tripped"
The next day a bag with the stereo appeared at my friends door
Kid moved out of the neighborhood shortly after that
I guess he didn' like the attention he received after that
Everyone was made aware of what he did
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #4

Crime solved!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post
Congratulations! Good work. Glad you got your stuff back and I hope the scumbags get caught.

I've had a couple times where I had to do my own detective work after being the victim of a crime. Same story you got from the police..."Good luck, but there's not much we can do."

I was head-on sideswiped by a drunk/drugged driver. He almost ran me off the road and still managed to shatter my driver's side window and bust off my mirror. Glass was everywhere in the truck and all over my two young daughters who were with me. I reported it, but the police said there wasn't anything they could do. I took my daughters home and went searching for his vehicle. I found it and called the police...turned out he had a record a mile long, including being a barred driver. Since he was asleep on the couch he couldn't be charged with drunk driving, even though he admitted he had done it, but his girlfriend's insurance company wasn't very happy.

Funny how it all works out in the end.

Holy crap. I could only imagine my anger if it in any way harmed my daughters. It was hard enough to hear them ask where the car dvd player went!

Glad you were all okay though. I've done my fair share of stupid things in the past but always respect property and never harm others. Plus where i grew up, if you weren't welcome you were at least shot at if not hit! (the country) lol

The guy who did this has a rap sheet a mile long too and actually was arrested for asualt 6 days ago so 5 days before he robbed us and he was in jail for 3 of those days. Talk about workin quick! What an idiot!

I'm the hero to my girls, at least for today .
Old 06-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #5

Crime solved!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I'd want to know what they looked like too

Had a friend who had the stereo stolen out of his car
He had a silent alarm & was woken in the middle of the night
Went out, told his wife to call the cops
He comes back in, wife is on the phone with police
He grabs a bat & heads out "There are foot prints in the snow...I'm going to find them"
Wife tells the Police they bette rget here fast her hsuband is going after them
He tracks the footprints.....to a house just as the police pull up - saw him from down the street
The thieves house is right around the corner !! One officer knows my friend
Police knock on the door...maybe 4am...and a "kid" answer fully dressed & in wet boots
But my friend is one big dude...and the Police say they need to go out & call it in
"Nobody move...we'll be right back"

A few minutes later they come back in...the guy is kinda bloody
They ask what happened....my friend answers he tripped & fell
They look at the kid
He knods & agrees ..."I tripped"
The next day a bag with the stereo appeared at my friends door
Kid moved out of the neighborhood shortly after that
I guess he didn' like the attention he received after that
Everyone was made aware of what he did

LMAO!!! that helped cheer me up.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,276

Crime solved!!!

Thanks for the laugh,I needed one---Tripped.
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Crime solved!!!

Thats some pretty clever detective work on your behalf. The criminal who did it wasnt too bright huh?
hotiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,318

Crime solved!!!

When I was younger, I lived in a downstairs apt. Guy upstairs was always beating his wife and getting arrested. One night as the cops were taking him out, one shoved him and said "he's running" both of them proceeded to work him over with nightsticks. He still got drunk and loud, but never hit her after that.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Crime solved!!!

That is great! I really can't stand thieves, and it's really nice to see em busted. I had a "friend" break into my house a few years back. He was an old grade school friend that I had not really talked to much then he kinda popped up and wanted me to build him a computer. I owned a PC business then.

So I get most of the parts in and what not, and one night he breaks into our house (lived at my parents then) on new years eve and takes some parts, and some money. Maybe 300 bucks worth if that... could of been much worse.

Got the cops involved, and we ended up pretty might knowing it was him, but without valid proof we never got him busted, but the cop was 100% with us and was very positive it was him based on his past records, and some evidence such as the marks on the wall below the window matching with his shoes. I invited him over at one time, and while we were in my room my dad took his shoes and made a mark on the wall to see if it matched. Based on lot of things like that we were positive, but it was not enough evidence to hold in court. He ended up having to pay up though, since the cop and I basically made a deal with him.

He's obviously no longer my friend after that incident. He was always a snake though. He was the type of friend you wonder why you even hang around with. Oh and he's in jail now.... for robery lol. Some just never learn. When he gets out, I'm sure he'll do it again.

Eventually I want to setup a full blown security system on my house so I can monitor all sides of it, inside the garage and maybe even indoors near all entry points. You just never know when these things can happen, and it's good to have very solid evidence even if it's after the fact.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:16 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Crime solved!!!

People stealing from people is not right at all. They deserve to get caught.
hotiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #11
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Crime solved!!!

As children, my baby- bro had all his baseball gear stolen off my parent's side porch. My Pop (happy father's day, dad!) took his ass up to the used sporting goods place in town and found all my bro's stuff there. It was clearly marked with his name.

Dad piled all of it up on the counter at the store. Took a receipt pad from the clerk wrote down our address. He told the clerk they had 24 hours to put the gear back. Miraculously it was back on the porch the next morning.

When I was about nine years old I rode my bike down to the 7-11. I went in to get my stuff and when I came out three kids my age were stealing my bike. I shouted at them and scared them. They dropped the bike and one of the kids dropped his slurpee. He then had the gaul to demand I pay for the spilled slurpee. It might have been the first time I told someone to F-off.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #12

Crime solved!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotiso View Post
Thats some pretty clever detective work on your behalf. The criminal who did it wasnt too bright huh?
My feelings towards it are, if i hadn't found the stuff it would have been gone for good so on that note, yes i feel the detective work was good. but i feel the pawn shop is just as guilty knowing the gf called there, gave descriptions and serial numbers yet they denied having anything like it.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:08 PM   #13

Crime solved!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
That is great! I really can't stand thieves, and it's really nice to see em busted. I had a "friend" break into my house a few years back. He was an old grade school friend that I had not really talked to much then he kinda popped up and wanted me to build him a computer. I owned a PC business then.

So I get most of the parts in and what not, and one night he breaks into our house (lived at my parents then) on new years eve and takes some parts, and some money. Maybe 300 bucks worth if that... could of been much worse.

Got the cops involved, and we ended up pretty might knowing it was him, but without valid proof we never got him busted, but the cop was 100% with us and was very positive it was him based on his past records, and some evidence such as the marks on the wall below the window matching with his shoes. I invited him over at one time, and while we were in my room my dad took his shoes and made a mark on the wall to see if it matched. Based on lot of things like that we were positive, but it was not enough evidence to hold in court. He ended up having to pay up though, since the cop and I basically made a deal with him.

He's obviously no longer my friend after that incident. He was always a snake though. He was the type of friend you wonder why you even hang around with. Oh and he's in jail now.... for robery lol. Some just never learn. When he gets out, I'm sure he'll do it again.

Eventually I want to setup a full blown security system on my house so I can monitor all sides of it, inside the garage and maybe even indoors near all entry points. You just never know when these things can happen, and it's good to have very solid evidence even if it's after the fact.
Geez, if it was somebody i knew, who knows what i would have done to them. lol
Old 06-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #14

Crime solved!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
As children, my baby- bro had all his baseball gear stolen off my parent's side porch. My Pop (happy father's day, dad!) took his ass up to the used sporting goods place in town and found all my bro's stuff there. It was clearly marked with his name.

Dad piled all of it up on the counter at the store. Took a receipt pad from the clerk wrote down our address. He told the clerk they had 24 hours to put the gear back. Miraculously it was back on the porch the next morning.

When I was about nine years old I rode my bike down to the 7-11. I went in to get my stuff and when I came out three kids my age were stealing my bike. I shouted at them and scared them. They dropped the bike and one of the kids dropped his slurpee. He then had the gaul to demand I pay for the spilled slurpee. It might have been the first time I told someone to F-off.

Ha ha, most crooks are wimps and if confronted would run like babies!

Advertisement