Craigslist And Cash - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Craigslist and Cash

Just went with a friend of mine to purchase a slightly used motor home from an add on craigslist.

The seller was an older man 60+ and he would only accept cash, ok not that unusual except the price was 38k.
My friend had already been over to look at it several times and was trying to talk him into going to the bank with him so he could withdraw it and give him the cash in the safety of the bank but the man was not interested in anything to do with the bank and would only accept cash delivered to his home.

So he had a police friend and me come with him as he was a little worried about meeting somebody who knew he had 38k in cash with him.

I know that it's not a good idea to accept checks or money orders from people on craigslist, but this was a pain, it took 2 days for the bank to get enough cash together for him and this guy has no sure way to know it's all real. Shurly there is a better way to do large transactions like this?

He did count it all... took like 15 minutes

Advertisement

Last edited by linuxrunner; 01-18-2012 at 06:30 PM.
linuxrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 256

Craigslist and Cash

The only way I would have concluded that transaction would have been in a lawyer's office! I hope your friend got some sort of notarized bill of sale or something similar.

When we bought this last house, I was surprised to have the closing company tell me they would not honor a cashier's check. The money had to be deposited by wire. Too many fake cashier's checks I guess...

Glad it turned out ok for your friend.

Advertisement

dougp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,554

Craigslist and Cash

the only other way is certified funds....that is like cash...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 610

Craigslist and Cash

I've sold thousands of dollars of stuff on Creigs list. at least 50% of the time I'm getting emails with some form of scam trying to have me except a Western Union check, certified check for an out of the state bank, wanting me to give them my Pay Pal info and they will have a shipper come pick up the item.
One funny one was I had a 37 ft. sport fisherman style boat that weighted 14 tons. The customer was in Africa. Now do you really think someone in Africa would want to buy a boat all the way in the US, come on.
All my ads all say cash only, NO CHECKS, price is firm, no deliverys.
Do a mapquest search on my zip code before calling.
And I'll be darned every single time they act like thay have never seen the ad.
I get people calling that live 5 hours away about a $20.00 cheap medicine chest. Showing up after driving 3 or 4 hours in a Toyota Corrola to come look at a 30 ft. constrution trailer, only have a personal check, want me to hold the check for a week and also expect me to deliver the trailer.
So I can see where this guy was coming from.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,294

Craigslist and Cash

Most of the stuff I see advertised on there are way over priced.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
Roy Howard

Rewards Points: 10

Craigslist and Cash

a lot of old folks are all about cash only. a lot of them don't trust banks. i know an old man that buries it in his backyard.
47howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #7

Craigslist and Cash

I've bought a 30 ft. constrution trailer, roll up door on the back, 220 volt 60 amp service, lights, A/C and heat for $800.00.

A whole storage unit with 5 pump jacks, 3, 24" aluminum walk boards, a Tapco sliding saw, 55 gal. drums filled with extention cords, a whole stack of ladders one was a 40 ft. black tip, 20 lb. buckets of ceramic coated deck screws for $2000.00.
I got a 30 ft. older camping trailer for free and sold it within a week for $1000.00 to a local hunt club.
So there are some deals on there.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

Craigslist and Cash

haha, jesus christ
hwymorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,094

Craigslist and Cash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47howard View Post
a lot of old folks are all about cash only. a lot of them don't trust banks. i know an old man that buries it in his backyard.
Got an address?
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,094

Craigslist and Cash

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I've sold thousands of dollars of stuff on Creigs list. at least 50% of the time I'm getting emails with some form of scam trying to have me except a Western Union check, certified check for an out of the state bank, wanting me to give them my Pay Pal info and they will have a shipper come pick up the item.
I Craigslist stuff all the time, and I'd say I run closer to 100%.

Whether buying or selling, I do nothing but cash. I've never had a problem. Of course, I've never done a $38,000 cash deal on anything either...
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #11
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Craigslist and Cash

I love Craigslist - as with the rest of the internet it's just "don't be stupid". That means:
- Never have anyone come to YOUR house
- Deal with cash or do it in a bank

I am also running at 100%. Every time I sell something I get at least one Nigerian Scam. I can spot it before I even open the email.

If i had to deal w/ 38K in cash I would have brought a buddy who packed heat - but it sounds like your friend did exactly that.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #12

Craigslist and Cash

Craigslist experiences are super varied. I've had some that just made me want to pull my eyes out.

On the other hand, most recently, I scored a Hitachi Framing Nailer (NR83A2) for $100. Brand new. Guy never even installed the air plug.
joem01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #13

Craigslist and Cash

I sold an extra enclosed 6 x 10 X 8' tall trailer in Creigs List I had bought before the economy went in the tank. It was like new, I had taken delivery and at most it had 100 miles on it and it still looked new.
Guy shows up and said oh it's bigger then I though. Your joking, I had pictures on the ad and all the sizes.
Then he wants to know how it tows, once agin, stupid ?.
Then he wants me to hook his truck and also wants me to drive so he can see how it tows. What the he**.
So we take it for a test drive.
He checks the lights and sees the right tail light does not work. I ask him if he's ever hooked up any to his truck before and says no.
I unhook it and hook it up to my truck and it works fine, so what would you guess was wrong?
He's standing there still saying it's bigger then I thought, so I ask him what he's planning ondoing with it. He's moving to CA and loading all his stuff in it. So I suggest if you buy one to small and can not fit all your stuff you paln on taking with you what are you going to do, sell that one and go buy another one. That went over his head.
By now I've had it and tell him to come in when he's made his decision.
A few min. later I see him with tools inside the trailer, I go out and he's taken the whole panel off and is trying to pull the tail light out.
Now I'm mad and run him off the property.
He comes back again and says he wants to buy it and has the cash.
The dummy now wants to try and get me to come down on the price after telling him many times price if firm.
He pays me full price. Then he asked me to not let the DMV know it had been transfured so he could get to CA without having to reregister it.
He leaves with the trailer and I went directly to the DMV and reported I had sold it. To heck with him.
How many times have we had posters say it's ashame we do not recycle things like cabinets.
I had a whole set of solid Maple arched top cabinets in good condition.
The ad read, Soild Maple Arched doors, were custom made, not boxes so there would be great for a garage since they can not be taken apart.
I also had all the sizes and pictures of them in the ad.
First people show up and says, oh I thought they were oak, can they be refinished?
I got at least 5 phone calls asking if I thought they would fit in a mobil home.
Next people show up and say, oh I did not know they were Arched doors.
And it went on like that for weeks.
I ended up giving them away. Never agin will I try to resell cabinets.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #14
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Craigslist and Cash

My wife tells me I'm too harsh, but if I get an email that says "Is this item still available?" It goes straight into the trash.

Craigslist is a website - not a newspaper. It does not take a week for the ad to cycle, if the ad is still live - then it's because I haven't taken it down ....... ergo ........the item is still available!!!
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #15

Craigslist and Cash

I have had problems with people who post with out an account and then don't know how to access the add to delete it. So asking if it's still for sale isn't that bad.

Advertisement

AirdrieHandyman is offline   Reply With Quote