Craig's List Scams - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Chatroom Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2016, 09:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10,548

Craig's List scams

Anyone else buy and sell on Craig's List?
I've bought and a sold a ton of stuff on there and almost never had any trouble until lately.
I always check the Farm and Garden, and the Heavy Equipment area looking for deals.
Lately someones been posting items that should be selling for $10,000 or more for some off the wall price like $2056.00.
Skid Loaders, 2010 mini Tractors, Gator type utility vehicles, golf carts.
The price was a red flag but for some reason there using upper and lower case letters every other letter.
The decription most often does not even match what there selling or just makes no since.
No exact location, out of state phone # if there is one listed and only wants you to text.
So I figured I'd play the game and email one of them with the email printed across the picture in the ad.
They said they where selling it for someone else and included there email.
Contacted them and they say there in LA and we can use Amazon Pay and they will ship the item for free because he has a contract with them.
Who's going to ship a 2000 LB. item for free thousands of miles!
I contacted Amazon to let them know about the scam and was advised there is no Amazon pay and hell no there not going ship anything for free sold by someone else and they have no contracts with any private party's like that and have nothing to do with Craig's List.
Wonder how many other people have fallen for this scam and paid out money for nothing.

Advertisement

gma2rjc (03-10-2016), jmon (03-09-2016), Nik333 (03-10-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 10:17 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,490

A bunch of people have unfortunately fallen for it. Guys on another forum I have seen like to troll the scammers and it makes for some funny emails.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:49 AM   #3

The one selling the golf cart I decided to mess with his mind and when he told me what town and state he was in.
I told him what a small world it is and my son lives near by and is a Constable in that parish and I would have him stop by to check it out and pick it up for me I just needed a street address.
Strange I never heard back from him again.
Nik333 (03-10-2016), spaceman spif (03-11-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 05:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,220

yup..its free entertainment...to mess with the scam sellers...and you have to be a complete idiot to fall for there song and dance..and so many do....
WhatRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:29 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,974

As for scams got a call 2 days ago from the IRS saying I owed them $4758 and if I didn't pay right now A warrant would be issued for my arrest my bank account would be seized, and I would be arrested. Very official sounding and impressive phone ID. TOTAL SCAM.

Called sheriff office turns out number is from Dade City Florida. But I could see how some people could fall for it especially someone elderly. They were that good and had enough facts to sound legit.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:16 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,948

Almost fell for one a few years back when looking for a car for my kids. Typically it was someone in the military headed overseas and he/she just wanted to unload their newer model Honda Civic. The price was just good enough and the car looked just good enough that the temptation to try and buy it was great, and, hey, you would be helping out someone in the military anxious to get out from under the car payments........
Nik333 (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 07:58 AM   #7

One funny one I got was for a 37' sport fisherman Pembroke wooden boat I had for sale.
This thing weighted about 3 tons or more.
A so called buyers agent contacted me and said they where in Africa of all places and would send a certified check and have a shipper come pick it up to be shipped to there customer.
I told them sure send the check and in 90 day's I'll let you know where to pick it up to make sure the check cleared.
Never heard back from them.
Gymschu (03-10-2016), Nik333 (03-10-2016), oh'mike (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 08:09 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,462

I like craigslist but it certainly is the wild west so people need to be careful.
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.
craig11152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craig11152 For This Useful Post:
Nik333 (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 09:14 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 9,518

Some of the town in our area are actually setting it up so you can make your exchange in the well lighted parking lot at the local police station. That way you don't have give out you home address or meet in some desolate area.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joed For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-10-2016), Nik333 (03-10-2016), oh'mike (03-10-2016), spaceman spif (03-11-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 11:08 AM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 588

Joe, I see that with tractors, mostly John Deer, and not cheap ones.

Been meaning to give them a go, but have better things to do with my time, like hang out here!
Nik333 (03-11-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 07:11 PM   #11

Got a bunch of text today from a guy about an engine I have for sale.
The classic I'll send to a certified check, take it off Craig's List consider it sold, I'll have it picked up when you recieve the check, I'm in the Army so I do not have a checking account.
All the classic red flags.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:19 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 834

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
As for scams got a call 2 days ago from the IRS saying I owed them $4758 and if I didn't pay right now A warrant would be issued for my arrest my bank account would be seized, and I would be arrested. Very official sounding and impressive phone ID. TOTAL SCAM.
CRA ("Canadian IRS") phone scams are rampant up here. I read about one fellow last week who lost several thousand dollars. He apparently did as instructed and mailed 3 money orders to 3 different addresses in the US. I don't want to beat up on the poor guys but really?

They will apparently show up at my door with a warrant if I don't pay. Bring it on - I'll be waiting!

Last edited by lenaitch; 03-10-2016 at 08:19 PM. Reason: typo
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lenaitch For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (03-13-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 09:32 PM   #13
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 1,974

They use the postal system as well. Watch older parents mail so they do not get scammed.
Trying to offer places to rent is so full of scammers, now I just delete the emails. All these scams pal in comparison to all the robo calls i get in one day. Katie from google plus called me 17 times in one day. And left messages.
One of the things I find amazing on craigslist is most items i sell get one person responding and buying the item
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mj12 For This Useful Post:
Nik333 (03-11-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 09:42 PM   #14
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 7,492

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Got a bunch of text today from a guy about an engine I have for sale.
The classic I'll send to a certified check, take it off Craig's List consider it sold, I'll have it picked up when you recieve the check, I'm in the Army so I do not have a checking account.
All the classic red flags.
That is the same guy who wanted to buy my motor cycle.

I gave him the address of the local police station.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Nik333 (03-11-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 06:41 AM   #15

Year's ago I was selling an almost brand new condition enclosed trailer I had bought just to store materials in on job sites on Craig's List.
It was just a smaller 6 X 10 trailer.
The ad had a copy of the spec sheet telling all the sizes, weight ECT.
A guy shows up to look at it driving a brand new Toyota Tundra with the V 8 engine and the first words out of him mouth are "it's bigger then I thought it would be do you think my truck can pull it?"
I open up the doors so he can see the inside and makes the comment, there's a black skid mark on the floor I hope that does not mean the floor is rotting.
Then he asked do the lights work, so I hook the lights to my truck to show him they all work, he then hooks his truck up to the trailer and the right lights not working so he starts to get his tools out to start pulling my trailer apart to see what's wrong instead of working on his trailer plug or fuses on the truck.
He starts looking at the tires and makes the comment how old are the tires, it's a year old trailer how old do you think they are!
Then he says he want's me to keep my life time plates on it and not turn the registration into the DMV to show it's been sold.
After wasting 2 hours with this guy I'd had it and told him to give me the money and leave with the trailer or get off my property.
I walk out to take the plates off and lock up the hitch and he hands me the money.
I took off the plate, and sent him on his way and I sent the registration in to cancel it the same day.

Advertisement

Nik333 (03-11-2016)