Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
I'm Your Huckleberry

Share |

Contractors Venting Thread. Long.

We have an office lady who answers calls and sets up times and whatnot. Typical woman, talks too much and interprets things as from being from the other side of the moon.

The other day I go in to turn in some invoices and checks and while there she gets a call, customer saying the coil is freezing up. She immediately tells the HO that he needs refrigerant and the cost would be our normal charge for refrigerant. I'm thinking she needs to shut her trap as she is not a tech and the rest of us have all been on the dirty return air filter calls causing freezing coils, no refrigerant leak at all.

The guy apparently sounded to the office lady as if he didn't have a lot of money and regardless her thoughts, we ended up not getting our foot in the door thanks to her almost abusive and offensive teching and pricing her diagnostics over the phone. My thoughts were a service call fee collected is better than nothing, especially since we're currently slow plus the guy literally could only have had blocked air flow so he could have had his a/c back up and running for only a service call and down here Summer is brutally hot, even pre Summer. The temperatures literally kill people. We're usually always willing to help people out or at least my boss and myself are, can't say about the office lady.

Yesterday morning I get a call from her to go check out a no cool on a resi package unit I changed out the blower motor and run cap respectively on maybe a month ago. I know the owner of the place well as we talked while I was there, twice so far, once for the blower motor change out and once again recently as she was having trouble setting the time on her new digital stat. She's an elderly lady living on her own.

I asked the office lady for the customer's phone number which I had somewhere on some note pad but thought nothing of asking for it again as it'd save me some time and possible headache, to which the office lady snottily says, "Larry doesn't want you having the customer's phone number." She's now acting as if she's my boss and she's talking rudely, down to me, as well.

Since when? My boss has never not given me a customer's phone number. I don't like going to people's home's without myself talking to them first as it breaks the ice and puts us, myself and them, formally on the right page. They now know me, somewhat. I'm the one going out there, not the office lady. Plus if I get delayed I can call the customer directly which again is appreciated by the HO that I myself call. The office lady knows nothing about being in the field and we are too small of a company to be so impersonal.

So I get annoyed after asking, "Larry doesn't want me to have the customer's phone number? and then hang up. She calls right back and I answer. She's upset that I hung up on her but I try and cover it up saying my phone is berserk. Why would I answer if I didn't want to speak to her? "Yes you did!", she hollers. I can feel the fire through the phone.
I get extremely fed up and with my blood now boiling I full on holler, "YOU NEED TO QUIT BEING SO RUDE!! YOU CALL AND LEAVE RUDE MESSAGES WHEN I COULDN'T MAKE IT OUT TO A JOB AND NOW YOU'RE TELLING ME THAT MY BOSS OF FOUR YEARS THAT HAS NEVER NOT GIVEN ME ALL CUSTOMER'S INFO INCLUDING PHONE NUMBERS DOESN'T WANT ME TO HAVE THEM?!! YOU AREN'T (EXPLICIT FOR POOP) TO ME, LADY." She attempts to respond but I'm pissed and hang up on her (again ) and this time with authority. She doesn't call back.

So I travel over to the customer's home and I can't recall the gate code. I call Larry and tell him to which he says, "Well, call her."

He's at the office with the office lady and I hear her scrambling for the number and I finally get it. Yes, you have to call the HO in this community to get access through the gate but I didn't feel like having a heated debate with the office lady about that for fear of her acting as if she needs to call the customer and then call me back and all types of stupid inbetween. She should've just given me the number in the first place.

Larry eventually comes to the job after I call him again to bring me a 5/40 fan/compressor run capacitor which had blown AND gives me a key to the office and warehouse so I can get in for parts at any time of day or night plus he gives me a refrigerant leak detector. How cool is that?

We share a few trade laughs as we always do whenever we see each other in the field before he goes on his way with his usual departure of, "Not a problem."

Never once was the office lady spoken of.

Long vent but I had to get that out. Thanks.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 05-11-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Moved to off Topic Forum. Since this is a DIY site.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #3

Every cable or sat company I have ever worked for has had a dispatcher just like the one you described. I have dealt with them all like you did. Now I dont get christmas cards from them but they give me no lip or attitude anymore. Some people have to be spoken to; like they speak to others before they will understand you.
tonystewart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
Mod

Reading all of that reminds me of just one of the reasons I went into business for myself.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Reading all of that reminds me of just one of the reasons I went into business for myself.
Ditto.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
Wire Chewer

Wow sounds like this female dog needs to be fired.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:00 AM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Funny, I forgot all about this thread. I don't think she needs to be fired, she's been Larry's first and only office lady since the beginning of his company and I (have tried to) like her and she is alright I guess, but I don't expect for her to be diagnosing as if she's the tech and I didn't appreciate her need to make up stuff about my boss not wanting me to have phone numbers of customer's I'm going to and have her act as if she is my boss.

Nope, me and my boss are two peas in a pod, myself the pupil, apprentice, padawan learner and him the Showlin master of hvac. And we never get upset with each other or if we do we don't argue or anything, we can talk it out without any nonsense. It's mutual respect and thanks for one another, for me always doing good work, always being ready and all customer's always liking me and trusting me in their homes and for him noticing all of that and keeping me employed and helping me out with giving me work and tools and always being there when I have questions. Even when I'm doing a job for someone else I call him for help if I need it. He's like an older "Yo bro, what's happening!!" type boss slash friend.

She's, well, female.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:18 AM   #8

Mr. Holliday

"Quote" -
Nope, me and my boss are two peas in a pod, myself the pupil, apprentice, padawan learner and him the Showlin master of hvac. And we never get upset with each other or if we do we don't argue or anything, we can talk it out without any nonsense. It's mutual respect and thanks for one another, for me always doing good work, always being ready and all customer's always liking me and trusting me in their homes and for him noticing all of that and keeping me employed and helping me out with giving me work and tools and always being there when I have questions. Even when I'm doing a job for someone else I call him for help if I need it. He's like an older "Yo bro, what's happening!!" type boss slash friend.

She's, well, female.
"Un-quote"

I feel your pain!

I've worked for female bosses/owners over the years - some of them, were
some of the best people I've ever worked for (some not! - Oh well!).

Been in much the same situation.
Owner/friend made sure I had the keys/codes for the office/3 warehouses/ trucks/owner's house and cars/ everything.
However, as far as the office people are concerned (male or female) -
customer service is an art/craft - taught and/or learned.
Some people don't get it!

Give me a work order (with pertinent info - PHONE NUMBERS?! - I think so!!) - I'll deal with it!!!
Jeesh!!!!
Sounds like a failure to communicate!

Regards:
rossfingal
(On the bright side - at least, the "World" didn't end!!)

rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote